Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Two Lovers 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Two Lovers 

Post Two Lovers
Two Lovers

Quote:
Two Lovers is a 2008 American romantic drama film, taking its inspiration from Fyodor Dostoyevsky's short story "White Nights". which was already turned into a film by Luchino Visconti: Le Notti Bianche. The movie is directed by James Gray and stars Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Vinessa Shaw. It is set in the largely Russian Jewish neighborhood Brighton Beach in New York City, as was Gray's first movie Little Odessa. Two Lovers premiered in competition at the 2008 Cannes Film Festival in May. The movie is Gray's third to enter the competition at this festival. It was released theatrically limited on February 13, 2009. This was to be Joaquin Phoenix's last movie before his retirement from acting; something which was later revealed to be a hoax.

Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:07 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

Post Re: Two Lovers
There was a big problem with Joaquin Phoenix's character (me blame both the actor and the screenwriter). And that completely ruined the film. C+

Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

I very much liked it. Funnily enough, halfway through I thought "If I was bradley I'd call this a new-age romantic comedy!" Its comedy just comes more from ironies and human truths, and subtle interactions where the characters aren't funny but their actions are... if that makes sense. While I can understand some criticizing this for following a foreseeable plot and resolution, to me the characters falling into those old-worn cliches and traps is intentionally there to add to the film's dark view on people and relationships, and further cements it as sort of a comic take.

The dialog and atmosphere is totally fantastic and nails "real" interaction. I loved the work done with facial expressions and reactions - Stuff like Leonard's "ooohhhh i wanna bang her" eyes the first couple times he meets Michelle is perfect. The acting ensemble will be one of the very best of this year, and this is the best performance I've seen from Phoenix. I'd also love to see more of this type of acting from Paltorw. The love interest who's a drug addict screw-up is a role that's been seen plenty, but she never overplays it and manages to breath life and real depth into what's usually a cliched caricature. Vanessa Shaw is very good but I feel her character gets the short stick in screentime here. Gray's cinematography is also gorgeous and really captures everything together.

A very tight, very underrated film. It's just a well executed piece of melodrama... or comedy...

4/5

Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:50 am
loyalfromlondon

I liked it, but Paltrow (and her character) is so much less interesting and less attractive than Vinessa Shaw that much of the film simply rings false. Phoenix is terrific, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]