Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Saddest Music in the World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Post The Saddest Music in the World

Quote:
The Saddest Music in the World is a 2003 Canadian film directed by Guy Maddin. It stars Mark McKinney, Isabella Rossellini, Maria de Medeiros, David Fox and Ross McMillan.

Set in Winnipeg, Manitoba during the Great Depression, it is a comic musical about a competition announced by a beer magnate to find the saddest piece of music in the world. Musicians from across the world come to Winnipeg to try their luck in the competition, but the contest eventually boils down to a battle within one family: a patriotic Canadian father and his expatriate sons, one of whom represents the United States, the other Serbia.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Saddest Music in the World
Perhaps Guy Maddin's most accessible film, and the first one of his that I saw. Even though his signature style appears so far out, it somehow still feels entirely natural. And of course Isabella Rossellini was great here as Lady Helen Port-Huntley.

If you're any kind of film fan, make sure you don't miss out on the magical artistry of Guy Maddin...

Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 pm
loyalfromlondon

I think it's a stretch to call any of Maddin's stuff accessible, even with a qualifier, but I'd agree that this is his most "conventional". Even so, his avant-garde style seems almost at odds with this kind of (relatively) straight-forward narrative, even if all his obsessions and fetishes come pouring out throughout. It's terrifically entertaining, though, and doesn't feel like as much of a chore as his earlier stuff.

I definitely think Maddin is a filmmaker constantly getting better, though. Both Brand Upon the Brain! and My Winnipeg are superior to this, and I'm excited to see what he'll do next.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:39 pm
Extraordinary

FWIW, here's Roger Ebert's review - - he's been a Guy Maddin fanboy since 2000...

Quote:
Excerpt:

The more films you have seen, the more you may love "The Saddest Music in the World." It plays like satirical nostalgia for a past that never existed. The actors bring that kind of earnestness to it that seems peculiar to supercharged melodrama. You can never catch them grinning, although great is the joy of Lady Port-Huntly when she poses with her sexy new beer-filled glass legs. Nor can you catch Maddin condescending to his characters; he takes them as seriously as he possibly can, considering that they occupy a mad, strange, gloomy, absurd comedy.

To see this film, to enter the world of Guy Maddin, is to understand how a film can be created entirely by its style, and how its style can create a world that never existed before, and lure us, at first bemused and then astonished, into it.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]