Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tystnaden [The Silence] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Tystnaden [The Silence] 

Post Tystnaden [The Silence]
The Silence

Quote:
The Silence (Swedish: Tystnaden) is a 1963 Swedish film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman and starring Ingrid Thulin and Gunnel Lindblom. The plot focuses on two sisters—one a fledgling woman with a young son, and the other, a terminally-ill literary translator—and their tense relationship coming to a surface whilst staying at a Central European hotel during a culminating war.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:30 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Tystnaden [The Silence]
Well this is one helluva film.

There's so much going on here that I don't think I could do justice to it in a mini-review, but, suffice to say, I'm very glad that Bergman decided to grow up and do away with his dialogue-heavy obsession with God.

It really feels like Resnais' Last Year at Marienbad (and, by extension, Kubrick's The Shining) with its massive, spooky hotel and eclectic, bizarre cast of characters, but, like those two films, there's much more going on underneath the surface. The title refers to "God's Silence", a problem Bergman has wrestled with throughout his career, and here, finally, God is absent. Only once is his name even mentioned; his characters seem to have ceased caring whether he exists or not. Thank him for that.

In place of the solemn, wordy monologues Bergman had previously used, then, we get much more aesthetic and interesting moments. Buoyed by some beautiful cinematography and a sheer lack of meaningful dialogue, scenes like meeting the dwarves, or the tank rolling into town, are given higher symbolic and mythic significance. The mere fact that the town is located in no recognizable country attests to this. It's not tuned into or tied down to reality as in Winter Light or Through a Glass Darkly; it's highly dreamlike and fantastical. As a result, it's easily my favourite Bergman film to date.

I can't wait to watch Persona now.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:28 pm
Kypade

too bad this is a 60 dollar box.

Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:39 pm
loyalfromlondon

I can't say I'm surprised, but you really missed something. At the very least, there were chicks masturbating and having sex and cavorting topless! How can you sleep through that?

You really must be gay.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 am
The Incredible Hulk

bergman with god is amazing, but bergman without god is even amazinger. second best after persona.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]