Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Diary of a Mad Black Woman 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

College Boy Z

Post Diary of a Mad Black Woman

Quote:
Diary of a Mad Black Woman is a 2005 romantic comedy-drama film written by and starring Tyler Perry, which was inspired by the play of the same name. It is the first film in the Tyler Perry "Madea" film franchise. Directed by Darren Grant, the film was released in the US on February 25, 2005. The sequel, Madea's Family Reunion, was released on February 24, 2006.

Last edited by zingy on Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:49 pm
Teenage Dream

I laughed so hard when I saw your typo in the title. Good stuff, man.

:rofl:

Promise me you'll leave it like that.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:58 pm
Hot Fuss

Was that intentional?

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

:rofl: I didn't realize I put Big! :shock:

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:35 pm
Teenage Dream

Oh, man! You changed it!? That was freakin' hilarious.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:50 pm
College Boy T

Ah. For a second I thought four of you had already seen the movie...

What was it? Diary of a Big Mad Black Woman? :razz:

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:23 am
Teenage Dream

Diary Of A Big Black Woman

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:38 am
College Boy T

If that were the actual title, man oh man would it be a big hit...

If I were workin' at the cashier at a theater, and I had to listen to white folk ask for tickets to "Diary of a Big Black Woman", I honestly would not be able to sustain it. I'd crack up.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:42 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:05 am
Top Poster

Diary of Skank Ass White Bitch- Feb. 2006

If you thought cross dressing Colored folk was funny wait til you see this :roll:

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:19 pm
Hot Fuss

Ha. At the movies tonight, I couldn't help but laugh at the droves of poor sould lining up to see this. I'm telling you, I saw quite a few mad black women walking out of those screenings. I had to take cover.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

Wow! This weekend's number one movie! Has anyone seen this?

Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't like it, actually I hated it. I thought it was stupid and the only good part was when they were in the exhusband's house :) I saw this in theaters, btw and it was almost sold out ... why I don't know ...

3/10 (D-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
La Bella Vito

I loved this movie! I don't know why so many people hate it. I thought it blended comedy with drama so well. Kimberley Elise was so impressive. I've always liked her as an actress, but she is very good here. Tyler Perry is hysterical! He plays Madea to the maximum, and his character is so hilarious. The scenes with Helen and Orlando dragged on a bit, but when the comedy kicked in, it was well worth the wait. I also thought a lot of the one-liners were funny as hell. The church scene reminded me of the scene in The Color Purple, with Shug singing for her father. It was very inspirational, its an uplifting movie. It shows you, that you can move on in life, and get yourself back on the right track, regardless of what happens in your past. You just have to let it go, forgive, and focus on the future. I liked it a lot more, than I expected, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel Madea's Family Reunion, expected to be out next year.

B+

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I loved this movie! I don't know why so many people hate it. I thought it blended comedy with drama so well. Kimberley Elise was so impressive. I've always liked her as an actress, but she is very good here. Tyler Perry is hysterical! He plays Madea to the maximum, and his character is so hilarious. The scenes with Helen and Orlando dragged on a bit, but when the comedy kicked in, it was well worth the wait. I also thought a lot of the one-liners were funny as hell. The church scene reminded me of the scene in The Color Purple, with Shug singing for her father. It was very inspirational, its an uplifting movie. It shows you, that you can move on in life, and get yourself back on the right track, regardless of what happens in your past. You just have to let it go, forgive, and focus on the future. I liked it a lot more, than I expected, and I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel Madea's Family Reunion, expected to be out next year.

B+

Boo you whore! :wink:

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

DIARY OF A MAD BLACK WOMAN (2005)

I remember thinking the movie looked decent from the previews until I found out it was a religious movie. That turned me off. I'm not religious in the least and can't stand preachy religious movies. Yet lucky for the movie, the week it hit DVD happened to be a week of few new releases. Having a coupon to rent a movie and get one free and with one movie already picked out with nothing else I really wanted to see, I found myself frustrated and decided to just grab this one for the hell of it. My cousin wanted to see it and since she'd be visiting I could watch it with her, which wouldn't be as bad as watching it by myself. To my surprise it ended up starting out well and much better than I was expecting. But it did have its annoyances. For one, during the scene with Helen (Kimberly Elise) and Orlando (Shemar Moore) in the U-Haul, after Orlando asks her if she had anywhere he could drop her because he had another job to be at in a couple of hours she says something like, "All you men are the same and only care about yourselves." Then she kicks him out of the vehicle to drive herself, leaving him on the street. Oh my god could she be any more selfish? You're a stranger and he has been driving you around for a couple of hours or so already and has to be to work at another job soon; why should he miss work for you? He's been pretty damn nice actually and forgive me but even though she's just been hurt, she's still acting like a bitch and way more selfish than he is. Then during the scene with her and Madea at Helen's old house Helen says something like, "This is for all of the black women who have ever been hurt" while tearing up her "husband"'s girlfriend's clothes. Why does it have to say “black women?" Why can't it just say "This is for all of the women who have ever been hurt" or something? You never hear in a movie with mostly white characters someone say, “This is for all of the white women," it's usually just “women." Then another similar line is where Orlando and Helen are in the restaurant and Helen asks him what he's looking at, to which he replies, “A beautiful black woman!" Why doesn't he just say, “A beautiful woman?" If I were in this situation and a guy asked me what I was looking at I wouldn't say, “A beautiful white man." I'd say, “A beautiful man." You never hear things with the race included said like this. I find that pretty unrealistic. It might happen every once in a while, but not very often.

Other than those nitpicks, the biggest one is that after a solid start the movie's middle section with the romance between Helen and Orlando is just dull. It was seriously lacking Madea. The movie also has an uneven tone. It's a drama, a comedy, a revenge movie, etc. So I guess it would be called a revenge dramedy. And about the revenge part, for one, Helen is an idiot for even giving a crap about her absolute monster of a husband and going to be by his side. The hell with the Christian in you, don't bother with this scum! When we hear her thoughts then saying that part of her is filled with rage but the Christian part of her wants to take care of him I thought, “Get rid of that Christian side! Lose your religion! Let the rage take over! Beat the crap out of him!" She was being way too nice to him after he continuously treated her worse than dirt. She finally does take my advice and does get revenge, but to my surprise it managed to come off really dark and sadistic and completely unlike the earlier tone of the film. I absolutely hated this guy so part of me was glad she was getting her revenge on the POS and part of me thought it came off a little too wicked and was handled poorly. If it were I though I would have beaten the crap out of him with a bat or something so I can see where she was coming from.

I was really pleased with a scene at Madea's where Madea kind of bashes religion. Thank goodness this otherwise cool character wasn't religious! That made her rock even more! It also made it so the movie wasn't unbearably preachy.

A couple of funny things during the movie are where the girl goes to see her junkie mother (who actually reminded me of a black Charlize Theron in Monster) and tells her she's going to be singing at the church and that she should come, and the mother is like, “I don't think I should" or something, but then later ends up showing up at the church and comes in singing really well during her daughter's solo. This was hilarious because it was like she was trying to upstage her daughter or something. “Oh I don't think I should go," and then there she is trying to steal the attention. I know it's not supposed to mean that or come off that way, but it kind of does and it was funny. It was also funny that the father of the girl and ex of the junkie all of a sudden gets back together with her right away just because she came into the church singing? He wasn't going to give their relationship another try, but then she goes there singing and without saying anything goes up to her and they're together again. That was funny. Also, how unrealistic is it that she has seemingly come clean overnight? That doesn't happen! Something else both my cousin and I found funny was that Helen decides to break it off with her “husband" during the dinner with her family and their friends toward the end. Of all the times to do this she decides to wait until everyone is together and do it in front of everyone. She pulls out the divorce papers and gives back his ring. Then she announces she's off to go get the guy she really loves and the family cheers her on. Boy did she seem to go out of her way to make her “husband" feel uncomfortable. Not like I really care since he was such a jerk, but still, it just came off funny. The character of Helen seems to do these things that are kind of stupid, thoughtless, annoying, etc. during the movie. Man is she flawed! They don't try very hard to make her likable.

Overall, the movie was certainly better than I was expecting. It's very flawed and kind of cheesy and uneven at times, but still enjoyable and I'm happy it was a hit for the great studio Lions Gate. The performances are fine and Madea was a fun character but was sadly not in the movie enough. At times the religious stuff bothered me and at times it didn't. The church scenes actually made these generally black churches seem way more fun than the mostly white churches. I wonder why mostly white churches are so lame in comparison and don't get as into it? I'm not even religious and actually despise it, but they all at least look like they're having a good time in these churches, unlike the ones I had went to when I was younger that were incredibly dull and yawn-inducing. Anyway, I'll be seeing Madea's Family Reunion (the next feature being made with the Madea character) and that should be better because it will likely feature more of Madea, which DIARY lacked. My cousin really enjoyed the movie but did find it to have mostly the same problems as me. This was a decent movie that I will eventually buy someday when it's cheap. It's not something I'd pay full price for, but a fine flick for a few bucks.

Grade: 6/10 (B-)

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:08 pm
College Boy Z

Not good, but it could have been a lot worse. C-

Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:11 pm
Veteran

I watched this with my wife and mother last night and I don't think I've ever heard my wife laugh so much in a movie! She loved it! While I agree that some of the movie is amateurish, those are some of the funniest parts. At moments you feel like you're watching something like SNL, but it's still funny. Also, anyone who likes romantic comedies should enjoy this (I'm talking to you, Libs!).

Another thing that's so good is Kimberly Elise. She truly is the most underrated actress in (or outside) of Hollywood. It's too bad the Academy would never consider something like this, because it's a great performance that's not in an Oscar-bait movie.

I also liked the Christian elements of the movie, but even if you're not a Christian the movie is still enjoyable. It's not preachy and doesn't take itself too seriously. My grade: B.

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]