Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Civil War 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

The Civil War 
College Boy Z

Post The Civil War
The Civil War

Quote:
The Civil War is an acclaimed documentary film created by Ken Burns about the American Civil War. It was first broadcast on PBS on five consecutive nights from Sunday, September 23 to Thursday, September 27, 1990. Forty million viewers watched it during its initial broadcast, making it the most-watched program ever to air on PBS, to this day remaining one of the most popular shows broadcast by PBS. The visitorship to Civil War battlefields and memorial sites measurably increased the summer following the series first airing, a result of the documentary's influence on viewers. Considered to be Ken Burns' magnum opus, it was awarded more than 40 major television and film honors. The film was remastered on the twelfth anniversary of its release, and a book following the movie has also been released.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:46 pm
George A. Romero

i know i'll probably be the only one reviewing this because it doesn't seem like there are too many people on these boards who like the civil war, hehe but here goes.

Nothing more completely tells the horrors, the drama, and the heroics of the civil war than this film does. terrificly narrated and brought to life with pictures from the war, and civil war era music. you'll be taken back in time to witenss all 4 years of this terrible conflict. the best and most informative piece about the civil war ever made.

A+

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:20 pm
Forum General

My dad actually has this series. I should watch it (even though it's a good, what, 700 minutes?).

I did see his biography on Mark Twain a couple years ago, though. Good stuff.

PBS rules.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

My dad actually has this series. I should watch it (even though it's a good, what, 700 minutes?).

I did see his biography on Mark Twain a couple years ago, though. Good stuff.

PBS rules.

it's 11 hours and it's definitely worth it. i'm a big fan of ken burns films. Other than The Civil War i especially like The West, Baseball, and Lewis and Clark.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:32 pm
Extraordinary

I'm going to watch the whole series this week. So I'll put a note in each time a watch an installment, and hopefully at the end it'll be a good long essay for the front. Good thing Termi's already seen it. DK, my dad has it too. I'm visiting home, which is why I'm going to capitalize on the opportunity. If you see a section of two, I'd love to talk with you about them this week. I know you're not through classes yet though.

Sun May 15, 2005 7:15 pm
George A. Romero

Bump

I'm going to watch the whole series this week. So I'll put a note in each time a watch an installment, and hopefully at the end it'll be a good long essay for the front. Good thing Termi's already seen it. DK, my dad has it too. I'm visiting home, which is why I'm going to capitalize on the opportunity. If you see a section of two, I'd love to talk with you about them this week. I know you're not through classes yet though.

cool! i hope you like it! (i know you will though ;))

Sun May 15, 2005 8:52 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

This is a very moving documentary. Perhaps a bit Union centric but overall very well done. The photos used were awe inspiring as was Burn's great choice in voices. Sam Waterston IS Abraham Lincoln. Follows all the major battles and gives enough info on them as one could hope for in a tv show. Also, I praise Burn's for not being a wuss and hiring actors to do the scenes. They do that on the History Channel and it is often weak and extremely hokey.

Mon May 16, 2005 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]