Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 La fille seule [A Single Girl] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

La fille seule [A Single Girl] 

Post La fille seule [A Single Girl]
A Single Girl

Quote:
Benoît Jacquot's A Single Girl (French: La Fille seule) follows a day in the life of a young Parisian woman named Valérie (played by Virginie Ledoyen) who begins a new job at a four star hotel the same day she reveals to her boyfriend that she is pregnant. The 90 minute film is shot in real time in the random style of the French New Wave.

This was the breakthrough role for the 19-year-old Virginie Ledoyen, best known in America for the Danny Boyle film The Beach, and earned her a César Award nomination.

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: La fille seule [A Single Girl]
It's basically a modern update of Cleo From 5 to 7, only without the sharp and drastic loss of feminism in the third act that Varda's film suffered from. The real time truly works, putting us in the shoes of Valerie and allowing us to see the events and conversations of the day that cause her to make her decision to raise her child without a man. Instead of being bored with the repetition and blandness that so many service jobs offer, I was enthralled with Valerie's actions, articulation, and attitude. She's a remarkably intriguing and likeable character for being so, well, bitchy. This is mostly a tribute to Ledoyen's terrific performance, but it's also Jacquot's smooth direction and writing. Though I would've liked the third act to stay in real time, instead of jumping forward a year or so, but what can you do?

It's not as formally inventive as the New Wave flicks, but it's still a solid tribute to them. Great flick.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]