Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Role Models 

What grade would you give this film?
A 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 10 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Role Models 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Role Models
Role Models

Quote:
Role Models is a 2008 American comedy film directed by David Wain about two energy drink salesmen who are ordered to perform 150 hours of community service as punishment for various offenses. For their service, the two men work at a program designed to pair kids with adult role models. The film stars Seann William Scott, Paul Rudd, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Bobb'e J. Thompson, Jane Lynch and Elizabeth Banks.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:16 am
Veteran

Post Re: Role Models
B. All actors do what they do best, and work well off each other. It's not very smart, and a little rushed, and thin on plot but its pretty funny. Especially the ending.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:11 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Simple Premise, hysterical execution thanks to a lot pros and newbies up to the challenge. I think as far as comedies go this year:

A
Tropic Thunder
Harold and Kumar 2

A-
Step Brothers
Role Models

B+
Zack and Miri

B
Pineapple Express
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
You Don't Mess With The Zohan

Seems like the Frat Packers and old schoolers handed it to Appatow and Co. This year

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:53 pm
Extraordinary

While hardly the work of screeningwriting geniuses - - dang it if Role Models didn't go and work for me - - big time!!!

Consistently funny, often in a dark and cynical tone, this comedy film ennobles itself through it's dogged commitment to going all the way...

Sure the storyline ends up turning all gay (in the classic sense of the word) by the end of the proceedings, but by that point our defenses are down and we all surrender to Kissmyanthia - - I know I did once Paul Rudd started singing Beth to Elizabeth Banks.

Hoorah for yet another fine Autumn comedy!!!!! Between this and Sex Drive our laughter economy is absolutely booming this Fall...

83 out of 5.

Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:29 am
The Dark Knight

Rorschach wrote:
It's pretty much a raunchy comedy with morals from a kids film.

Yep, that pretty much summed it up I'd say. Really, they could have cut the boobie shots and cut out a few cuss words and got a more appropriate PG13 rating due to the subject matter and the ending, and it would have then made more $$ too.

Saw it at the Century 23, San Jose, CA on Thurs 11/13 at 5:25pm. Total patron count: 6 :hahaha:

Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:15 am
Stanley Cup

top notch film

A-

Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:44 am
College Boy Z

Some hilarious moments in this film, but overall, just a solid comedy. It's just a satisfying comedy, not a memorable one, but I really enjoyed it.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:09 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

This is formula done right, with a wink and a lot of heart. Special credit (and I was not expecting this) to Christopher Mintz Plasse's wonderful, fully rounded work; he's the movie's soul, and I dare you not to root for him.

It's also non-stop funny from start to finish and, rather bizarrely, had a smashing, genuinely rousing climax.

Perhaps the most pleasurable mainstream comedy of the year.

See Role Models, a very welcome surprise after an awfully dreary month or two at the movies.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:08 am
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert, Zingaling, and yoshue.

There's threee names you don't see agreeing very often on a movie - - and they all gave a rave to this crude comedy.

The end is nigh!!!

Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:30 am
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

Hilarious. Not on the same level as Superbad, but I still loved it.

B+

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:14 pm
Superman: The Movie

The first 70 minutes are funny yet by the book. The last 20 nearly turn the film into something special by throwing everything and the kitchen sink. When a fake war scene played for comedic effect can play just as well as an actual war scene in a typical war film, you know the filmmakers are doing something right. Too much of the film though is simply average though to credit it as anything special. It's a good film though and that's mostly thanks to Paul Rudd/Christopher Mintz-Plasse relationship in the film.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:51 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Frequently hilarious and surprisingly sweet. B+

Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:11 am
loyalfromlondon

Enjoyable enough, surprisingly affecting, and also quite hilarious - a rare triple threat for a comedy.

Slavishly faithful to its formula, it nonetheless does it well, and remains funny almost consistently from start to finish. There's almost nothing new to be found in its plot or the way it unfolds, but it does it so well that it hardly matters.

It also looks like a movie - there's no TV aesthetics to be found here. It's kind of shocking, actually. There's rampant use of close-ups and shot/reverse shot and camera movement, and it's rather refreshing.

Hopelessly generic, but at least it does the genre well.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:30 am
Indiana Jones IV

Sight unseen, I've got a sizable boner for this movie already (Paul Rudd + Seann William Scott + not-terrible WOM...)

Worth seeing in theaters? Or should I wait it out and see it with some friends and a few beers on DVD...

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 am
On autopilot for the summer

Steve wrote:
Sight unseen, I've got a sizable boner for this movie already (Paul Rudd + Seann William Scott + not-terrible WOM...)

Worth seeing in theaters? Or should I wait it out and see it with some friends and a few beers on DVD...

Probably one of the top 3 comedies of the year, after probably Kumar.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:40 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

It was decent but I was expecting alot more based on the above comments. Wasnt particularly funny - especially the first half which was kind of boring - but atleast the second half had a bit of heart and the medieval re-enactments were entertaining.

Grade C+

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:01 pm

7.5/10, better than PE, or on a second viewing, Stepbrothers, but not nearly as good as Forgetting Sara Marshall.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:47 pm
"no rank"

I liked it. Funny at times, sweet, and it has LARP. Bobb'e J is about the best thing ever.

Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:02 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Yea what Loyal said. I was really pleasantly surprised by this.

Best Line: You know what I used to eat for breakfast? Cocaine! Genius

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:09 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Hilarious.

***/**** A-/B+

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:13 pm
You must have big rats

B

It's not up with Apatow comedies (which nowadays seems to be the bar for very good comedy, especially if the comedy compared to them stars Apatow regular Paul Rudd), but very entertaining on its own. As far as Rudd's Apatow-less works go, I actually enjoyed this a tad more than I Love You, Man. I suppose that is, among other things, thanks to Seann William Scott who adds something good to pretty much every film he's in. Sure, I look at him and still see Stifler, but it could be worse. At least he's not the guy who fucked a pie.

Rudd and Scott play off each other pretty much, but the supporting cast is just as good. Christopher Mintz-Plasse proves that McLovin was not a one-hit wonder (though he did suck in Kick Ass) and Bobb'e J. Thompson's interaction with Scott was just gold. Also gotta love Jane Lynch. Elizabeth Banks wasn't given much to do, but what can I say, I simply always enjoy seeing her on screen. She has that really lovable aura surrounding her.

I thought it was a very interesting choice to focus this much on the whole LARP world. An interesting and ultimately rewarding choice as we are granted a pretty awesome finale thanks to that. Ken Jeong rocks!

Most of the film is really by the book. There are the ups and downs of the character. There are the morale messages, the big crisis and the all-is-well happy ending. But it is a pretty good mixture of raunchy and sweet. It is almost never laugh-out loud funny, but is fairly amusing and has a bunch of great one-liners. It is also quite rewatchable too.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]