Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Black Sheep (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Black Sheep (2006) 

Post Black Sheep (2006)
Black Sheep

Quote:
Black Sheep is a New Zealand made comedy horror film written and directed by Jonathan King. North American distribution rights were acquired by The Weinstein Company and IFC Films. The Weinstein Company released the film on DVD on October 9, 2007 under their Dimension Extreme brand through Genius Products. In the UK, the film was released on 31 March 2008.

Special effects for the film were handled by Weta Workshop.

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Black Sheep [2006]
Effective enough horror/comedy that blends zombie and werewolf archetypes with silly humour, suitable amounts of gore, and a rather lame attempt at social commentary. The whole thing's put together well, though, and there are some brill moments (the sheep stampeding down the hill). Strictly low-budget, though.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:58 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw this a while back and enjoyed it. It's really goofy and over-the-top, but fun in its own unique way. B

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:18 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I thought it was unfortunately pretty terrible. I'd give it a C-.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:54 am
You must have big rats

B-

Anyone with some knowledge of horror movies knows what pops into one's head if you think of New Zealand horror - the roots of Peter Jackson. His trashy gems like Braindead and Bad Taste, the former in particular belong to the best of the trash horror genre. They were outrageous, insanely violent and quite funny. Black Sheep tried to be all that with an environmental message to boot too and somewhat failed in all respects.

Now I must say that the opening night movies at the Fantasy Film Festival (which is where I have seen the film) are always a crowd experience and the folks attending the festival are usually hardcore genre fans of horror and fantasy. The kids that give gruesome death scenes applause and such, hehe. They were really into Severance last year. Black Sheep didn't excite the crowd this much and I could see why. The movie's humor works well at times (think the chainsaw scene), but falls flat in others. The gore scenes are nice inbetween, but there are far less than you'd expect and originality simple isn't there, except for the main idea of sheep being the killers.

Overall, it was mildly entertaining, but never went nearly as far with its premise as it could have.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]