Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Death Race 

What grade would you give this film?
A 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
B 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Death Race 
Team Kris

Post Death Race
Death Race

Quote:
Death Race is a 2008 science-fiction-action film produced, written and directed by Paul W. S. Anderson and starring Jason Statham. Though referred to as a remake of the 1975 film Death Race 2000 (based on Ib Melchior's short story "The Racer") in reviews and marketing materials, director Paul W.S. Anderson stated in an interview and the DVD commentary that he thought of the film as a prequel. A remake had been in development since 2002, though production was delayed by disapproval of early screenplays then placed in turnaround following a dispute between Paramount Pictures and the producer duo Tom Cruise and Paula Wagner. Death Race was acquired by Universal Studios, and Anderson re-joined the project to write and direct. Filming began in Montreal in August 2007, and the completed project was released on August 22, 2008.

A direct-to-DVD prequel to the film, Death Race 2, was released on October 31, 2010.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:20 pm
College Boy Z

Post Re: Death Race (2008)
Worth the price of admission to hear Joan Allen call Jason Statham a cocksucker.

It's passable entertainment.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:07 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

This movie was so much fun. Joan Allen's acting was horrific, but that was the only real bad part of the film.

B+

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:17 am
Orphan

Quite enjoyed it. So over-the-top with some nice gore bits ("You can't kill me!" SPLAT!) with fun performances by Ian McShane and Statham.

Grade - B

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:57 am
Extraordinary

Loved the premise! Liked the execution...

Yeah, I loved the wound out paranoid premise, complete with jackboots and wrongful imprisonment - - it's all too possible in these days of rent-a-cop rules and first world tin-pot dictators. And Statham's the man to take the blame - - BTW, does he have muscles on top of his previous muscles now? He really makes these late August flicks! But Joan Allen and Ian McShane are given just a bit too much leash from director P.W.S. Anderson - - he sadly let's hem chew on the scenery beyond their cartoon goodness (...sure I like the revenge vibe as the next hooting yob in the crowd, but good gawd man - - lay off the obvious lotion and use some natural story lubrication once in a while, Paul baby!). The rest of the drivers are barely cannon fodder, except for Tyrese Gibson who acquits himself well enough in a thankless role.

Overall a good action movie, but it ain't no Crank, Transporter 2, or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - - but it is the second best movie released this week right after House Bunny...

12 out of 5.

(Note: Be sure to stay to the end of the credits if ya wanna hear an audio replay of Joan Allen's over the top cool cursin' threat to Jason Statham... ;) )

Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:07 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Interesting premise, piss poor execution.
But what else can you expect from the tool who destroyed Resident Evil?
I was expecting a dumb, kick ass good time popcorn flick and was treated to just the dumb part. I could tell the rest of my expectations were in there somewhere but the dipshit cinematographer kept all the action hidden behind buildings, beems, people and whatever else he shoved in front of the camera. That is when he wasn't shaking the shit out of it. Someone needs to shove him in an industrial mixer and turn it on high, then maybe he'll learn it doesn't enhance the viewing experience. Statham was Statham, story was non-existant (as expected) needed more Ian McShane, Allen and definitely a competent cinematographer. Overall very disappointing.

Grade D

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:08 am

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Loved the premise! Liked the execution...

Yeah, I loved the wound out paranoid premise, complete with jackboots and wrongful imprisonment - - it's all too possible in these days of rent-a-cop rules and first world tin-pot dictators. And Statham's the man to take the blame - - BTW, does he have muscles on top of his previous muscles now? He really makes these late August flicks! But Joan Allen and Ian McShane are given just a bit too much leash from director P.W.S. Anderson - - he sadly let's hem chew on the scenery beyond their cartoon goodness (...sure I like the revenge vibe as the next hooting yob in the crowd, but good gawd man - - lay off the obvious lotion and use some natural story lubrication once in a while, Paul baby!). The rest of the drivers are barely cannon fodder, except for Tyrese Gibson who acquits himself well enough in a thankless role.

Overall a good action movie, but it ain't no Crank, Transporter 2, or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - - but it is the second best movie released this week right after House Bunny...

12 out of 5.

(Note: Be sure to stay to the end of the credits if ya wanna hear an audio replay of Joan Allen's over the top cool cursin' threat to Jason Statham... ;) )

Shit, I didn't know there was somethin' at the end of the credits. Could u tell me what happened?

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:02 pm
Extraordinary

Ev@n wrote:
Shit, I didn't know there was somethin' at the end of the credits. Could u tell me what happened?

I said exactly what happened...

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Ev@n wrote:

I said exactly what happened...

So she doesn't say anything new? It's just the same exact thing? That's dumb.

Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:16 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

The film is very fast-paced with alot of great action and some sexy females (especially Natalie Martinez). Tyrese was a nice suprise but also hilarious at points. Actually alot of lines and graphics were so corny that it got me and my friends cracking up. Plus, Jason Statham kicked alot of ass. Overall, just a very fun action flick.

B+

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Fun movie. Never boring, some cool action and Jason Statham is his always solid self.

B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Entertaining enough. It knows exactly what kind of film it is and makes no qualms about it. The action sequences are exciting and well-directed, and the story itself is quite compelling. I wouldn't rush to the theater for it but it's definitely worth checking out at some point. B-

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:12 pm
Profile YIM
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Its trashy fun, though the music is almost enough to drive a man to suicide its that annoying.

On balance probably Paul WS Andersons best film, and yes I know thats faint praise but it delivers what it promises.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:04 pm
The Wall

5/10 -> C-

Mindless fun. Statham is a force - great lead in this sort of movies, but the movie as a whole is mish-mashed.

Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I wasn't a big fan of the first forty-five minutes. There are only so many times that you can watch cars drive around with machine guns blazing. There are some cool stunts and a couple of decent gore shots mixed in that hour which keeps things somewhat interesting, but it's kind of dull. The last hour works though. I became somewhat invested in the story mostly thanks to Joan Allen. I have no idea why the fuck she was in this film, but I'm glad she was in it. She looked like she was having fun. She could've easily have phoned it in, but she didn't. It was fun to watch her character break down as the film came to end. And just hearing her say the word cocksucker made my day.

First half: **
Second half: ***

**½

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:38 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

BTW, does he have muscles on top of his previous muscles now?

:funny: :funny:

Entertaining movie, some nice action, a pretty hot girl and dumb dialogue. Exactly what I expected and McShane was fun to watch.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 pm
Profile WWW
INRI

someone dropped the camera right when shooting began and this is the result.

Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:50 am
You must have big rats

B

Death Race is one of those movies that simply deliver on their promise. It's trashy unpretentious occasionally exciting fun. There's Jason Statham playing his usual badass (though never getting close to his turn as Chev Chelios in the Crank films. Natalie Martinez provides the necessary eye candy and Joan Cusack actually looks to have some fun with her part.

There's little logic and a lot of car carnage. Some of the car chases are quite fun, but at some point the action gets a bit repetitive. The "twists" can be seen coming a mile away. All in all, it is a solid way to spend some time, at best not viewed alone. But there's almost nothing memorable about it.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:46 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Death Race
Death Race is one of those movies that is great to waste some time at home with...

Good Fun and good action

B

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Death Race
A bit rubbish really. Death Race 2000 is the best.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]