Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Henry Poole is Here 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Henry Poole is Here 
Extraordinary

Post Henry Poole is Here
Henry Poole is Here

Quote:
Henry Poole Is Here is a 2008 American drama film directed by Mark Pellington. The screenplay by Albert Torres focuses on a dying man whose religious neighbor insists the water stain on the side wall of his house is an image of Jesus Christ.

The film premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival and was shown at the Berlin International Film Festival before going into limited release in the US on August 15.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:45 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Henry Poole Is Here
I tend to have problems with films that lean to heavily on forced emotionality and an overabundance of faith in order to get the audience to connect and Henry Poole is Here is one of those films. It's overly preachy and refuses to stop asking the question why don't you believe in god? All the while displaying alleged miracle after alleged miracle in order to prove his existence.

To crib from an IMDB review: "Henry Poole is Here is about as dogmatic as The Passion of the Christ without the violence. Christians may like Mark Pellington's little homily about hope, but I suspect those who enjoyed his X-Files-like Mothman Prophecies will be disappointed by the lack of mystery and the surfeit of plain old preachy religiosity..."

The performances were decent and much better than a film like this deserves so I can't totally trash it, but Im still not recommending it.

Grade C-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:21 am
Orphan

Way too slow-moving and annoying to watch. I swear, there must have been at least 10 montages each lasting 2 minutes or more. Henry would witness or hear about a miracle, montage, another miracle, montage, rinse and repeat.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 am
Wallflower

The Mr Pink wrote:
I tend to have problems with films that lean to heavily on forced emotionality and an overabundance of faith in order to get the audience to connect and Henry Poole is Here is one of those films. It's overly preachy and refuses to stop asking the question why don't you believe in god? All the while displaying alleged miracle after alleged miracle in order to prove his existence.

To crib from an IMDB review: "Henry Poole is Here is about as dogmatic as The Passion of the Christ without the violence. Christians may like Mark Pellington's little homily about hope, but I suspect those who enjoyed his X-Files-like Mothman Prophecies will be disappointed by the lack of mystery and the surfeit of plain old preachy religiosity..."

The performances were decent and much better than a film like this deserves so I can't totally trash it, but Im still not recommending it.

Grade C-

Eeek. Sounds bad. I hate preachy religious movies. I like both Luke Wilson and Radha Mitchell, but this doesn't seem very good. My co-workers that watched it, one of whom is super-religious, didn't like it all that much.

Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]