Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Kit Kittredge: An American Girl 

What grade would you give this film?
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Extraordinary

Post Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

Quote:
Kit Kittredge: An American Girl is a 2008 American comedy-drama film directed by Patricia Rozema. The screenplay by Ann Peacock (based on the Kit Kittredge stories by Valerie Tripp) focuses on the American Girl character Kit Kittredge, who lives in Cincinnati, Ohio during the Great Depression. The film is the first in the American Girl film series to have a theatrical release; the first three were television movies. Julia Roberts served as one of the executive producers here (as she did with the TV movies).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:57 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Kit Kittredge: An American Girl
Surprise! I found this to be a delightful film. The trailers had me going ehh? maybe not for me. But I try and give every film an equal chance and I'm happy to say Kit kittredge is a film that is worth checking out. Set during the heights of the depression Kit covers a host of relevant topics from homelessness to gender roles to race relations all without dumbing them down or pandering to the audience. Kit Kittredge is smarter than your average kids flick and more entertaining to boot. If you're looking for some lighthearted fun with strong performances from all involved then Kit maybe for you.

Grade B+/A-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I wasn't planning on seeing this but a family member was interested and with the good reviews I decided to tag along. I basically got what I expected - a harmless kids flick, but nothing more. It definitely wasn't made for my demographic and I thought a great deal of it was kind of dull and trite, but Abigail Breslin's performance was very good. The supporting performers, despite their high pedigree, fail to make a real impression - and I felt the ending was pretty obvious from the getgo. It definitely gets points for being smarter than the average family film, but I just wasn't engaged enough to fully enjoy it. C+

Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:45 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

What a sweet and sentimental movie! The acting was excellent and varied with all the supporting players, and danged if Abigail Breslin doesn't do yet another bang up job in the lead. The story was an illuminating view of the great depression with a little mystery thrown in. The only fault I can find is with the direction by Patricia Rozema - - she seemed seemed to have a problem with maintaining a consistent pace and tone to the movie overall. That said, I still recommend it as rare example of a "serious" kid's movie that is emotionally involving, historically interesting, and pretty darn entertaining.

4 out of 5.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]