Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Persona 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Persona 
Extraordinary

Post Persona
Persona

Quote:
Persona is a film by Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, released in 1966, and starring Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullmann. Bergman held this film to be one of his most important; in his book Images, he writes: "Today I feel that in Persona — and later in Cries and Whispers — I had gone as far as I could go. And that in these two instances when working in total freedom, I touched wordless secrets that only the cinema can discover." He also said that

At some time or other, I said that Persona saved my life — that is no exaggeration. If I had not found the strength to make that film, I would probably have been all washed up. One significant point: for the first time I did not care in the least whether the result would be a commercial success...

Bergman wrote Persona during nine weeks while recovering from pneumonia. During filming Bergman wanted to call the film A Bit of Cinematography. His producer suggested something more accessible and the title of the film was changed. Persona is a minimalist film: although five actors appear onscreen, Bibi Andersson and Liv Ullman are the only ones to appear for more than a minute, and Elisabet Vogler (Ullman's character) speaks only fourteen words in the film. There are no dressing-props; only items the characters use are shown onscreen. The imagery is dominated by extreme contrast, with the cottage scenes being drenched by intense sunlight that washes the image out in a white glare, and the actors wearing solid black costumes, simple hairstyles, and no make-up.

Persona is considered one of the major works of the 20th century by essayists and critics such as Susan Sontag, who referred to it as Bergman's masterpiece. Other critics have described it as "one of this century’s great works of art". In Sight and Sound’s 1972 poll of the ten greatest films of all time, Persona was ranked at number five.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Persona
you know, I didn't love it.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:29 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I reject this one entirely. Yuck.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:41 am
Kypade

How many times have you seen it? Because you may need another watch or two. Otherwise you're just gonna have to live with being wrong. : (

Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I was told that it is awfully boring.

Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:09 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

You guys are on crack (except for kypade - but I'm sure he's on something else). This film is brilliant.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 pm
Extraordinary

yeah this needs more viewings from me. it's just too hard to crack. and I think I was knocking at the wrong places, because in some ways it's rather simple.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 pm
Z

Rorschach wrote:
Argos wrote:

Whoever told you that is an idiot.

That is not true.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

I sure thought it was boring. Maybe I'll see it again one day and eat my words.

But for now: I thought it was boring.

Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm

Magnus wrote:
Argos wrote:

Whoever told you that is an idiot. This film is a lot of things, but boring is not one of them. The monologue about the orgy is THE most erotic speech in film history. If you think that's boring, you just have no sexual desire/passion in you.

Easily one of the most interesting films I've seen. One of those films that can be viewed in many different (and valid) perspectives. A true classic.

I basically agree with all of this. I'm not sure if it's comparable to other bergman's (or other films for that matter.) Definitely fascinating, perhaps after 5 or 6 more views I could develop some concrete opinions of it other than "interesting."

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:23 pm
Wallflower

This is one I've been meaning to see.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:05 pm
Z

But will all those great new DVD and Blu-ray releases...

Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 pm
Profile WWW

Mike wrote:

I don't know if you have experience with Bergman, if not I wouldn't suggest starting here. It's by far his most avant-garde and challenging work that I've seen.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:05 pm
Teenage Dream

lol, some dumb-dumbs in here.

btw, this was bumped because of black swan, wasn't it?

Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:36 am
Extraordinary

fuck yoshue, I love this movie.

yes, ingmar is in way over his head when he goes for the heady godard-like pomo shit, but when isn't bergman in way over his head when he goes for highbrow shit.

no different than they "are you there god? it's me, ingmar" philosophizing in his earlier stuff....but Persona's 60's art film self-awareness is an easier target than his silly (but earnest) takes on the G.O.D.

I dunno, I've been thinking of bergman as a somewhat less polar griffith lately -- a natural---one of the best in that regard, but perhaps not the brightest.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:18 am

makeshift wrote:
lol, some dumb-dumbs in here.

btw, this was bumped because of black swan, wasn't it?

It was bumped because I watched it yesterday and wanted to comment. I haven't even had a chance to see black swan yet.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am
Wallflower

Michael A wrote:
Mike wrote:

I don't know if you have experience with Bergman, if not I wouldn't suggest starting here. It's by far his most avant-garde and challenging work that I've seen.

I don't.

Anyway, I've held off on watching it because I could see it getting released on Blu-ray in the near future so I was waiting :P. I do have the DVD on my Netflix queue though.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Mike wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Mike wrote:

I don't.

Anyway, I've held off on watching it because I could see it getting released on Blu-ray in the near future so I was waiting :P. I do have the DVD on my Netflix queue though.

Blu-ray would not benefit this film in any shape or form. The visuals are important but don't need hi-def enhancement at all. Also, I suggest you watch wild strawberries and then through a glass darkly then cries and whispers before trying to touch this movie.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:38 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

A much better vampire-movie than Twilight, therefore: A+

Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 am

Magnus wrote:
Vampires don't suck on their own blood.

:er:

Disqualified.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:11 pm

Not only, but also...

Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is amazing. A fascinating, existential, psychological and emotional masterpiece. It doesn't matter that Alma talks all day and Elizabeth says nothing because underneath these surface features, they both have the same demons inside of them and this unites them. The connection between the two ends up revealing what is truly in our human sub conscience underneath all the walls and surface identities to get by that we build for ourselves.

More than just this fascinating concept, it's one of the most visually striking masterclasses, using the human faces to perfection among other cinematic tricks. The screenplay is also spectacular with an endless stream of deep, rich and flowing dialog to soak in.

Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 am
The Kramer

:sleeping:

4.5/10

Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]