Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Shine a Light 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Shine a Light 
Extraordinary

Post Shine a Light
Shine a Light

Quote:
Shine a Light is a 2008 documentary film directed by Martin Scorsese documenting The Rolling Stones' 2006 Beacon Theatre performance on their A Bigger Bang Tour. The Scorsese film also includes archive footage from the band's career and marked the first utilisation by Scorsese of digital cinematography for his films with it being used for the backstage sequences. The film takes its title from the song of the same name, featured on the band's 1972 album Exile on Main St. A soundtrack album was released in April 2008 on the Universal label.

Scorsese filmed the Rolling Stones at the Beacon Theatre on October 29 and November 1, 2006, but the performance footage used in the film is all from the second show. The music was recorded, mixed and co-produced by Bob Clearmountain. The concert footage is preceded by a brief semi-fictionalised introduction about the preparations for the shows, and is intercut with historical news clips and archival interviews with band members. (A "break" in a backstage game of billiards a few minutes into the film recalls the opening scene of another Scorsese rockumentary, The Last Waltz.) The shows, which were added to the tour schedule for the purposes of the film shoot, featured a different set list than was typical of other shows on the tour (see below), and were noted for their star-studded crowds, including former United States President Bill Clinton and wife, then United States Senator, currently Secretary of State; Hillary Clinton, who are shown in the film as attending a Rolling Stones soundcheck, and former President of Poland Aleksander Kwasniewski.

The Rolling Stones' Beacon Theater performances benefitted the Clinton Foundation, a charity founded by Bill Clinton, who gave a short speech at the October 29 performance. The film also shows Jack White, Buddy Guy and Christina Aguilera performing with the Stones.

Prior to the October 29 show, 83 year old Ahmet Ertegün, a co-founder and executive of Atlantic Records and chairman of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and museum, was back stage in a VIP social area, the "Rattlesnake Inn", when Ertegün tripped and fell, striking his head on the concrete floor. He was rushed to the hospital, and died on December 14, 2006. The film was dedicated to his memory.

According to keyboardist Chuck Leavell's tour diary, Mick Jagger had been ill with throat problems, forcing a postponement of the Stones scheduled Atlantic City concert and the October 31 Beacon Theater show was moved to November 1, to allow Jagger to recuperate.

Shine a Light was initially scheduled for release on September 21, 2007, but Paramount Classics postponed it until April 2008. The world premiere was at the 58th Berlin International Film Festival on February 7, 2008. The film is also being screened in some IMAX cinemas. The IMAX version of the film was the second IMAX Stones concert film, the first being Live at the Max, released in 1991.

The MPAA gave the film a PG-13 rating (the film was edited from an R) for brief strong language, drug references, and smoking, and has been released on both DVD and Blu-ray disc by Paramount Home Entertainment, a division of Paramount Pictures. The Blu-ray release is recorded in 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround (48 kHz/24-bit).

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Shine a Light
I saw this and I liked it. If you like The Rolling Stones, it is worth it as the movie shows parts of a benefit concert with about 10 songs plus interviews/clips from 1960 and today.

It was also directed by Martin Scorcese as a doctumentary feature and even had a one song appearance by christina aguilera among others singing with the Stones.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:24 pm
Begging Naked

No one else has seen this? Phooey.

http://wannabesnob.blogspot.com/2008/05/shine-light-m-scorsese-2008.html

Quote:
In my incredibly limited film "career" (heh), perhaps my greatest accomplishment has been editing together a three-minute music video for an oldies-cover band through the film club where I am vice president. It was edited together from three takes of a live performance, with only the help of the club adviser and a fellow equally inexperienced club member. It took about four to five two hour sessions to edit this opus together, with only two to three cameras to take from for every take. When I consider the amount of time and hard work put into editing thie video, I can't help but applaud Martin Scorsese and his army of cinematographers for making Shine a Light as seamless and exhilarating as it is. It's a marvel of a film, and while I haven't seen any other concert films to really compare it with, I remain daunted by its energy.

However, even for those that haven't edited live music before, the film's prologue does a good job of making one feel the pressure and insanity of such a task, filming a concert of one of the world's biggest bands from two performances with some of cinema's most renowned living cinematographers, including Emmanuel Lubezki and John Toll. Hours before the concert starts Scorsese is still unsure of what the order of the songs will be, and he gives the reasons as to why this information is so essential, such as whether or not it is a song that will need a close-up of say, Kieth Richard's guitar, or Mick Jagger. It sets the mood for a wild two nights, and luckily nothing goes wrong, giving us the viewer a nice close-up view of one hell of a concert.

From the prologue onwards we have nothing but the concert intercut with some old interviews from the band's heyday. To review the concert itself is challenging, because you run the same risk that you when reviewing comedies of simply listing off what you liked most. Naturally the performances of their biggest hits, "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Satisfaction," which opening and close the concert respectively, are among the more furious numbers, but everything in between was able to keep this viewer enthralled, with the Buddy Guy duet of "Champagne & Reefer" being a particularly fun, soulful number.

Luckily, there are aspects of the film that are memorable for technical and thematic reasons. One particular moment that stuck out for me came early on, I'm not even sure during what song it occurred, but there is a shot of Mick Jagger from the audience when suddenly in the area between the camera and the stage a fan begins recording his own close-up of Mick Jagger on his cell phone, with the cell phone staying in the middle near the bottom of the frame before cutting away. I have tried figuring out what made this unscripted moment so appealing - maybe the accidental poetry of the way people record such events and remember them? - but I still can't quite figure it out. I just loved it.

There is also an undercurrent that runs through almost every scene where Mick Jagger puts his microphone aside for a moment and just lets loose. The interviews spliced in between the songs put emphasis on the questions about just how long the band plans on doing this, concerts and rocking out and such. It is interesting to consider how they do keep doing this, after decades of drugs and hard times, and yet they still seem to be having the time of their lives, with Mick stopping to dance or Keith Richards jamming so close to the audience and even tossing out a guitar pick or two over the course of the show. Once upon a time senior citizens were among the dullest, quietest people on Earth. The Rolling Stones like to think otherwise.

Much like my viewing of another film focusing on a major music icon earlier this year (I'm Not There), I knew little about the artist(s) going into the film, but left energized and wanting to know more. Scorsese and Co. have done an amazing job here, and I applaud them. I guess this means I should see The Last Waltz too then, eh?

Tue May 13, 2008 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

The movie doesn't give a great history of The Rolling Stones, but it's cool to see them at an older age in front of a smaller crowd than they're used to. It would be cool to see a movie of them with more current interviews, but as a concert film alone it's pretty good. Definitley not at the top of their game, but entertaining none-the-less.

- B

Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]