Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Children of a Lesser God 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Children of a Lesser God 

Post Children of a Lesser God
Children of a Lesser God

Quote:
Children of a Lesser God is a 1986 American romantic drama film directed by Randa Haines and written by Hesper Anderson and Mark Medoff. An adaptation of Medoff's Tony Award-winning stage play of the same name, the film stars William Hurt and Marlee Matlin as two employees at a school for the deaf: a hearing speech teacher and a deaf custodian, respectively, whose conflicting ideologies on speech and deafness create tension and discord in their developing romantic relationship. Marking the film debut for deaf actress Matlin, Children of a Lesser God is notable for being the first film since the 1926 silent film You'd Be Surprised to feature a deaf actor in a major role.

After meeting deaf actress Phyllis Frelich in 1977 at the University of Rhode Island's New Repertory Project, playwright Medoff wrote the play Children of a Lesser God to be her star vehicle. Based partially on Frelich's relationship with her hearing husband Robert Steinberg, the play chronicles the turmoiled relationship and marriage between a reluctant-to-speak deaf woman and an unconventional speech pathologist for the deaf. With Frelich starring, Children of a Lesser God opened on Broadway in 1980, received three Tony Awards, including Best Play, and ran for 887 performances before closing in 1982.

Enjoying the vast success of his Broadway debut, Medoff, with follow writer Anderson, penned a screenplay adapted from the original script. Though many changes were made, the core love story remained intact. The film version premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 13, 1986, and was released widely in the United States on October 3 of the same year. Not unlike its source material, the film generally gained praise from the hearing and deaf communities alike. It received five Academy Award nominations, including Matlin's win for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. Only 21-years-old at the time, Matlin is the youngest actress to receive the award and the only deaf Academy Award recipient (in any category) to date.

Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Children of a Lesser God
Loved this when it first came out - - I saw it three times in the theatre which was rare for me at the time. William Hurt was great as always, and Marlee Matlin was such a cutie...

Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:58 pm
You must have big rats

After having seen A Room with a View, I continue my catch-up of the Academy Awards Best Picture nominees 1987 (I've got The Mission and Hannah and Her Sisters at home as qwell, to round off the streak). Color me more impressed by this film than by the fairly average Room with a View. While this movie is still quite an Oscar bait, I think that it more often than not rises above the usual, generic by-the-numbers Oscar fare. Starting into the film, I expected the storyline of this movie to be about the change of Marlee Matlin's character Sarah throughout the course of the movie. She starts out as a deaf girl who refuses to learn talking and refuses to read lips. I expected that the William Hurt character would change her attitude throughout the film and so on and so on. Thankfully, it wasn't as generic, as I feared because in fact the film showcases the subtle changes of both main characters during the movie. Their relationship changes them both in the way they perceive others around them as well as each other. This gradual change of the characters is the most interesting aspect of this film which otherwise is routinely made without many stand-out's.

I'd say the best thing about the feature is Marlee Matlin's tremendous performance. Her Best Actress Oscar was more than well-deserved as I thought that she delivered one of the best leading female performances, I have ever seen and that without even saying a word. William Hurt is as solid as usual, but Matlin just about steals every single scene from him, making him lok like a more supporting character of the story. The story, minus the change of the leads, has little surprises to offer and still uses some clichés typical of films like this. But thanks to a courageous leading lady and an interesting character development, this ends up being as a very solid, though not great film. I'm looking forward to The Mission and Hannah and Her Sisters now.

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]