Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Right at Your Door 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Right at Your Door 

Post Right at Your Door
Right at Your Door

Quote:
Right at Your Door is a 2006 American thriller film about a couple and follows the events surrounding them when multiple dirty bombs detonate in Los Angeles.

Chris Gorak both wrote the screenplay and directed the film in his writing and directorial debuts. It was first screened at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2006 where it was nominated for Cinematography Award and the Grand Jury Prize, winning the Cinematography award. Consequently the world-wide rights for the film were acquired by Lions Gate for nearly $3 million.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:47 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Right at Your Door
Its an interesting little indie film that unfortunately can't quite sustain the adrenaline pumping first 15 minutes which flash by in a 24 style blur.

Pretty 2/3 of the film is the wife and Husband talking to each other thru a plastic seperator and it sags at parts. Still I'll fully admit I never saw the twist ending coming and it packs a punch.

B-

Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:21 am
Teenage Dream

:hahaha:

I just saw this movie (it was just released theatrically here in the states yesterday), and I thought of recommending it to you Gulli, knowing your love of apocalyptic cinema.

Anyway, I know I didn't like it, but I'm not sure I hated it either. The first twenty minutes or so are genuinely tense and frightening, but it quickly degenerates into two extremely obnoxious people trying to squeeze as many f words into every sentence they can while trying to figure out whats really going on. A crucial aspect to enjoying movies like this is that we care about the characters, especially when we're limited to only a handful for the entire run time. I'm not sure there is a single likable person to be found here, and that blame rests almost completely on the amateurish screenplay by first time writer/director Chris Gorak. The two leads give it their all, but they are hindered by two characters that are stupid, annoying, and utterly boring. Luckily for us the audience we get to spend nearly the entire runtime with these two douche bags conversing between ducktaped plastic covered doors and coughing a lot.

The ending is kind of funny and ironic, but it doesn't make up for the banality that comes before it.

Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:32 am
You must have big rats

Another film I saw at the Fantasy Film Festival last year. I liked it, a lot. It's a small, low-budget, realistic thriller that keeps things very low-key, yet manages to develop geat moments of suspense throughout the first two thirds of the film. I liked the way how everything around the "attack" was kept under wraps the whole time. The sense of dread and mystery was evoked well.

Now the ending...I didn't like that. It might be ironic and all, but it seemed to me like they just pulled it out of nowhere for the mere purpose of shocking people with a twist...

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:39 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

makeshift wrote:
:The two leads give it their all, but they are hindered by two characters that are stupid, annoying, and utterly boring. Luckily for us the audience we get to spend nearly the entire runtime with these two douche bags conversing between ducktaped plastic covered doors and coughing a lot.

Very true. And It seemed to repeat itself every 10 minutes.

Much Swearing
Much Coughing
Much Examination of Marraige
Much Stupid Wife wandering off frightening husband

Repeat till finish.

The first 15 minutes save it from being terribly banal to being mearly decent, although I ain't the most impartial judge as I'm sure you'd agree. :sweat:

Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]