Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 License to Wed 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

License to Wed 

Post License to Wed
License to Wed

Quote:
License to Wed (spelled Licence to Wed outside the United States) is a 2007 romantic comedy film starring Robin Williams, Mandy Moore, and John Krasinski and directed by Ken Kwapis. The film was released in theaters on July 3, 2007.

Last edited by Nebs on Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:01 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

I mentioned this in another thread, but here we go again.

Why does the movie suck so hard? Let's start with the fact that the lead male character is not very likable. Why is it in all these bad romatic comedies does the guy have to be a total asshole. Mandy Moore's character is bland as well, and she is not a very good romatic person as she doesn't listen to him half the time. What a great couple. Williams is the only one close to likable, but he too, goes in sadistic un-comedy mode with the wicked methods. The kid with him looks like he should be in the Stephen King movie, he is creepy. Don't even get me started with the robot twins, who like they should be on the Exorcist, and this sequence alone is the most unfunny and creepy moment of the movie, and to believe other people think they are real are on acid. It also has one of the most corniest lesson learning metephor's in romatic comedy history (involving a flip book). And the ending is so stereotypical rom-com ending with an aspiring song, but in this film, the lead guy is so unlikable is makes it completely ludicrous. Seriously, don't pretend everything is all fine if the male characters were assholes to begin with, and pretend to go through a character arc pretending that he learned his lesson. Seriously, this movie freakin blows ass. I am not saying this to be funny, but this movie is literally on my top ten worst of 2007. It also has the cheesiest acting in a film this year. Like Armake21 would say: Avoid it like a plague.

Grade: D (Wanda Sykes and Bob Balaban were the only redeeming factors of this flim).

Last edited by The Scottie on Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

or you must had went in with high expectation and came out so disappointed..

Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:33 pm
King Albert!

Either you really hate it..

or you must had went in with high expectation and came out so disappointed..

Actually, I tend to like these types of films, but this movie totally went in the wrong direction. I have taken screenwriting and film classes, so I can tell what works and what does not, and based on that C+ yahoo grade and a 11% on rotton tomatoes, they pretty much agree with me.

So basically, this was a very poorly constructed script.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

License to Wed takes three distinctly likeable actors and strands them in a painfully ordinary comedy that has a surprisingly low joke-to-laugh ratio. John Krasinski and Mandy Moore are both tremendously affable people, but the script's limitations never allow Ben and Sadie to feel like real people, so it's difficult to develop a rooting interest in their relationship. Despite this, both Krasinski and Moore have their moments. On the other hand, Robin Williams is annoying as the creepy Reverend Frank. Given how much I generally like Williams, they did a heck of a job showing him at his least appealing. The supporting cast doesn't factor at all; I'm wondering why Christine Taylor even agreed to her role. There are a few funny sequences/moments sprinkled throughout, but most of the movie is (disappointingly) far too ordinary to really recommend. C

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:26 pm
Orphan

Freaking awful. Not a single likable character and a haphazardly-constructed plot. Robin Williams is really coasting here.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:14 pm
Superman: The Movie

Three things keep the film from being an absolute failure: John Krasinski, some of the stuff with Robin Williams, and Brian Baumgartner. Krasinski couldn't save the film all by himself despite his likeable personality, Williams seemed to be neutered from beginning to end, and Baumgartner is in the film all of five minutes.

And then there is Mandy Moore. I like Moore. I really do. Out of the batch of Britney and Jessica, she was obviously the more likeable. But man she can't act for shit. Granted, it could be that both comedies she happened to appear in this year, both had awful scripts. Then again, she chose the projects and she sure as hell didn't elevate her character in any of them. If anything, she made them more unlikeable and hard to root for, simply because of how fucking dumb they are. That, and her character in this is simply a bitch. The scene with her at the department store, and the scenes with her in the church at the end and in the Bahams turned her into a whiny princess of a bitch. Why are we supposed to root for these two to get together? If anything, I somewhat rooted for Krasinki's character to get the hell away from her and her parents just simply because of who they were. Not one person in that family was likeable.

Finally to top things off, we have little Josh Flitter as the reverened's little buddy. I'll put this midly. Flitter should never be allowed near a camera (Of any kind) again. You can tell by his performance (And the interviews he's given) that he thinks he's hilarious. He's anything but. His character is not needed at all and actually at times brings down Robin Williams. Whoever thought it was a good idea to cast him, should've been fired. He's not funny, and comes across as a pompus ass.

This was such a wasted opportunity given the cast and the premise. It's also pathetic when the outtakes at the end of the film are funnier than anything preceeding it.

C-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 am
Profile WWW
---------

Hmmm the title is spelled wrong, Nebs lol, no wonder I couldn't find this.

The characters just aren't very likable, don't seem real at all, like said before. This is a romantic comedy right? So what is different - ah the Robin Williams reverend! For this kind of setup to work, this 3rd person has to be quite a character. Robin Williams, was not. He was all over the place in comedy and in the script from creepy to hypocrite to idiot. They also fazed over Krasinski and Moore's relationship to quick for us to even care about it.

The one thing that did crack me up in the movie was Krasinski and the robot babies surprisingly.

Grade: C-

Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:30 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: Licence to Wed
D-

Terrible.

Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:10 am
You must have big rats

Hmm, it's very very average entertainment. Krasinski and Moore are quite likeable, but they play pretty damn stupid characters. Robin Williams' character, while providing a few laughs is rather annoying and whoever thought that this Choir Boy was a funny actor was dead wrong. Overall, it was no worse than some other mediocre romcoms I have seen, but it wasn't anything above pure mediocrity either.

Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

Post Re: License to Wed
Pretty bad, typical movie with a nice meaningfull ending, well not really

D+

Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:37 pm
New Server, Same X

Post Re: License to Wed
This played on TV today, presumably for Robin's passing though I imagine it was programmed by someone who hated Robin Williams.

What everyone else said basically. Terribly unfunny at every turn. This is the kind of detached, listless Robin Williams that one should never expect to see on film. With better material, Krasinski and Moore might have worked, but it's just one of the worst scripts.

I started thinking about how involved and creepy Reverend Frank is and how much better and edgier this would have been if they had written it as a part-thriller, like The Cable Guy.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]