Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Puccini for Beginners 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Puccini for Beginners 

Post Puccini for Beginners
Puccini for Beginners

Quote:
Puccini for Beginners is a 2006 American romantic comedy film written and directed by Maria Maggenti. The film debuted at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival. The film was released to DVD in the United States on July 3, 2007.

Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Plot:

New York writer and opera addict Allegra (Elizabeth Reaser, The Family Stone) loves her girlfriend Samantha (Julianne Nicholson, Kinsey), but can't commit. When Samantha leaves her, Allegra rebounds with handsome philosophy professor Phillip (Justin Kirk, Angels in America) as well as the irresistibly beautiful, recently single Grace (Gretchen Mol, The Notorious Bettie Page). Allegra juggles secret relationships with both of them, never suspecting that Philip and Grace have a connection of their own. With a sophisticated blend of humor and irony, this screwball sex comedy twists and turns with all the drama of classic Puccini.

PUCCINI FOR BEGINNERS (2007)

I read a review that described this as Woody Allen meets "Kissing Jessica Stein," and since I love "Kissing Jessica Stein" I couldn't wait to see this. I wasn't disappointed at all. While not as great as "Kissing Jessica Stein" I still loved it. It's smart, funny, and sophisticated. I loved Elizabeth Reaser in it. She was really cute and I loved her character. I really like Reaser. It's funny because even though she didn't have much to do in The Family Stone, there was something about her that I found so appealing. Since then she's been in Sweet Land and appeared on Grey's Anatomy.

It's just too bad this isn't from a bigger studio than Strand because that limits its availability. My video store didn't get it so I got it from Netflix. After watching it I had to order a copy right away to add to my collection. It's a gem that I definitely recommend.

Grade: 9/10 (A-)

Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]