Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Thing from Another World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Post The Thing from Another World

Quote:
The Thing from Another World (often referred to as The Thing before its 1982 remake), is a 1951 science fiction film based on the 1938 novella "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell, Jr. (writing under the pseudonym of "Don A. Stuart"). It tells the story of an Air Force crew and scientists at a remote Arctic research outpost who fight a malevolent plant-based alien being. It stars Kenneth Tobey, Margaret Sheridan, Robert Cornthwaite and Douglas Spencer. James Arness appeared as The Thing, difficult to recognize in costume and makeup. No players are named during the opening credits; the only cast credit is at the movie's end.

In 2001, the film was deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and was selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

It's a fun monster flick, but not the masterpiece that Carpenter made. Probably the best new vision or remake ever made.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:26 pm
loyalfromlondon

While I can agree that Carpenter's version is better, this one ain't so bad. In fact, I'd say it's one of the best sci-fi flicks of the 1950s. It's fairly smart and quite well-made, and focuses more on the story and the characters than the effects and thrills - something lacking in the original War of the Worlds. The overlapping dialogue is almost Altmanesque at times, transcending this film beyond a typical 1950s studio system alien invasion flick, and the characters are interesting and well-developed. There's an unneeded romance subplot, and the reporter annoyed me to no ends, but it's briskly paced, snappily edited, and well-directed. It actually quite surprised me with its quality, considering how much I disliked The War of the Worlds, which is the better known of the two.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]