Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Sleeping Dogs Lie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

Sleeping Dogs Lie 

Post Sleeping Dogs Lie
Sleeping Dogs Lie

Quote:
Sleeping Dogs Lie (originally titled Stay) is a comedy film written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait, about a woman whose relationships are damaged when she reluctantly reveals that she committed an act of bestiality with her dog while at college.

Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:09 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

A warm, mature, thought-provoking film that is, at times, surreal, often hilarious and ultimately very touching.
- Derek Adams, Time Out

A scrappily funny and observant takeoff on the secrets that complete even the ''normal'' among us.
-Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly

I can't think of another film that so directly and actively tackles the question of the actual value of honesty.
-Ken Hanke, Mountain Xpress (Asheville, NC)

Rather than the escalating gross-out spectacular it could have been, Sleeping Dogs Lie is an unexpectedly thoughtful look at what it takes to make relationships work.
-Mark Olsen, Los Angeles Times

Plays into an almost primal fear that there's something so awful in your past that if you spill the beans the other person will split -- no matter how much he or she professes that nothing you could say would ever have that effect.
-Ruthe Stein, San Francisco Chronicle

SLEEPING DOGS LIE (2006)

Since the week "Sleeping Dogs Lie" is being released on DVD is a slow one, and the movie sounded like one of the better ones of the few coming out, I decided to take it home. I was also interested because I like Bryce Johnson (Harry & Max, Popular, Bring It on Again). I didn't expect it to actually be a really good movie. But I got a very pleasant surprise. "Sleeping Dogs Lie" is an unexpectedly good romantic comedy with an offbeat premise and some insightful things to say about relationships and just how honest you should be in them.

People are always interested in hearing your deep, dark secrets, and we all have them. They can be fun to hear and to share, but sometimes you can be unprepared for what you hear. Such is the case in this movie. Amy (Melinda Page Hamilton) and John (Bryce Johnson) are a happy, recently engaged young couple. But Amy has a secret from her past that haunts her and she hasn't told anyone. When John insists they be completely honest with each other, saying there's nothing she can say that would make him not love her, she gives in, revealing her shocking secret. However, John is horrified by what it is and can't let it go, and Amy's life is turned upside down.

What is the big secret? I won't ruin it. You find out within the first few minutes of the movie, but it would be wrong to spoil it. I didn't know before seeing the movie, not even from watching the trailer on the DVD, and I don't think anyone should find out before seeing the movie. It's all part of the fun.

I highly enjoyed this little gem though. It was funny and sweet. Melinda Page Hamilton and Bryce Johnson were very good and likable in their roles and the movie takes some surprising turns. I'd highly recommend it.

Grade: 8/10 (B+)

Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]