Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Player 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Player 

Post The Player
The Player

Quote:
The Player is a 1992 American satirical film directed by Robert Altman from a screenplay by Michael Tolkin based on his own 1988 novel of the same name. It is the story of Hollywood studio executive Griffin Mill (Tim Robbins) who gets away with murdering an aspiring screenwriter he believed was sending him death threats.

The film is loaded with movie references and Hollywood insider jokes and functions as a critique of a movie business that treats artists poorly and sacrifices quality for commercial success. It may seem surprising that around sixty Hollywood celebrities agreed to play themselves in the film, but Altman himself insisted, "It is a very mild satire," offending no one.

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Probably my favorite Altman film, very smart and funny. Tim Robbins gives one of his best performances.

Grade - A-

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

When it's a smart and funny look at the dark side of Hollywood, it's at its best. The numerous celebrity cameos, the sharp humour, and the in-jokes to other movies are all great and make it worthwhile. Unfortunately, that's not the whole film. The thriller aspect is completely ludicrous and only drags the movie down; add into that a rather boring romance, and you've got a film with a serious personality disorder. It never decides what it wants to be, so it decides to be everything, and it just doesn't work. The main cast is solid, and there is some exceptional dialogue, but the overall story is very, very weak. Altman's trademark style is on display in the first scene, and then appears scattered throughout, but large portions of the film are rather blandly directed. In fact, if the entire movie was like the first scene, I would have liked it a whole lot more.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]