Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 7:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Waterloo 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Waterloo 

Post Waterloo
Waterloo

Quote:
Waterloo (Russian: Ватерлоо) is a 1970 Soviet-Italian film directed by Sergei Bondarchuk and produced by Dino De Laurentiis. It depicts the story of the preliminary events and the Battle of Waterloo, and is famous for its lavish battle scenes.

It stars Rod Steiger (portraying Napoleon Bonaparte) and Christopher Plummer (portraying the Duke of Wellington) with cameos by Orson Welles (Louis XVIII of France). Other stars include Jack Hawkins as General Picton, Virginia McKenna as the Duchess of Richmond and Dan O'Herlihy as Marshal Ney.

The film includes some 15,000 Soviet foot soldiers and 2,000 cavalrymen as extras ("it was said that, during its making, director Sergei Bondarchuk was in command of the seventh largest army in the world"). Fifty circus stunt riders were used to perform the dangerous horse falls. These numbers brought an epic quality to the battle scenes.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Worst historical drama I've seen. Bland, uninteresting, dated, Steiger overacts and Plummer isn't much better. Doesn't seem to amount to anything throughout its running time, and the war scenes are mostly silly. Seems they try to add "depth" to Napolean and Wellington by narrating their thoughts throughout the battle, but it just doesn't work. Also, a random subplot of Wellington's daughter is introduced, then completley dropped? For these types of films, as low as you can do.

Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:16 pm
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Waterloo
I do believe I've seen this, but I can't remember a thing about it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]