Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Napoleon Dynamite 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
D 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 32

Napoleon Dynamite 
College Boy Z

Post Napoleon Dynamite
Napoleon Dynamite

Quote:
Napoleon Dynamite is a 2004 comedy film co-written and directed by Jared Hess and Jerusha Hess and stars Jon Heder as Napoleon Dynamite. The film was Jared Hess's first full-length feature and is partially adapted from his earlier short film, Peluca.

Napoleon Dynamite was filmed in and near Franklin County, Idaho, in the summer of 2003. It debuted at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2004. In June 2004 it was given a limited release. Its wide release followed in August. The film's total worldwide gross revenue was $46,140,956. The film has since developed a cult following.

Odd film. I expected too much, I guess. C

Last edited by zingy on Wed May 25, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:34 am
Extraordinary

CRAP. Heh.

- D+

Last edited by publicenemy#1 on Sun May 22, 2005 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:53 am
I'm Batman

Hilarious. "Tina you fat lard eat your food!"

-A-

Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:17 am
New Server, Same X

This film makes me want to re-examine my thoughts on movies. No sex, no violence, no cussing, not animated, not a kids movie, somehow just a wholesome teen film, with none of the nonsense... and it bored me to tears. I enjoyed the efforts to make it PG, and have zero crap that other teen movies would be riddled with. But, it just seemed TOO simple. All these catchphrases that people call great are really just stupid. Not so stupid, they're funny. Just stupid. Anyone could come up with random shit like this, they just got to the idea first. The plot is thin, paper-thin. There's nothing at all laugh out loud in the movie. A few smirks, but NOTHING was funny. My theory is the people who LOVED this movie just loved the character, and found him adorable. It is a good character, but everything seems out of place. Nothing meshes at all, and it seems we're just dropped into Napolean's life for 90 minutes for nothing. This movie boggles my mind in so many ways. I think if I could describe it in one word, it'd be this: uneven.

Grade: D+

Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:49 pm
Wall-E

This film makes me want to re-examine my thoughts on movies. No sex, no violence, no cussing, not animated, not a kids movie, somehow just a wholesome teen film, with none of the nonsense... and it bored me to tears. I enjoyed the efforts to make it PG, and have zero crap that other teen movies would be riddled with. But, it just seemed TOO simple. All these catchphrases that people call great are really just stupid. Not so stupid, they're funny. Just stupid. Anyone could come up with random shit like this, they just got to the idea first. The plot is thin, paper-thin. There's nothing at all laugh out loud in the movie. A few smirks, but NOTHING was funny. My theory is the people who LOVED this movie just loved the character, and found him adorable. It is a good character, but everything seems out of place. Nothing meshes at all, and it seems we're just dropped into Napolean's life for 90 minutes for nothing. This movie boggles my mind in so many ways. I think if I could describe it in one word, it'd be this: uneven.

Interesting take on it. In some ways I guess I agree. I think the whole twist of the movie was the 'movie' itself. They come up with the idea of trying to make a film without any,,,,substance. Excluding the uncle I dont think anyone every departed from a straight face look. This movie is so dry its dirt and thats the catch. Thats what made if funny. I found myself looking for humor in everything, and found it at times. Imagine if you knew this guy....Could it have been funnier, yes. An 'R' rating could have let them push the envelope with humor but that wasnt the point. I think they wanted to make a film that was a joke. It turned out to be a unique humorous odd ball sleeper.

I'd give it a C+

Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

I fell asleep watching it yesterday. I made it through the first half, and form what I saw, it wasn't as good as people are raving it to be. I should watch the last half though, so I won't make any calls before then.

Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:14 pm
Forum General

Too calculated in its attempts at "dry," off-the-wall humor. Not totally awful, though. C.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Napoleon Dynamite was bizzare, and had the least sense of plot direction I've seen in a movie in a long time. It provided some good laughs at times, but it came across as almost *too* quirky. B- (bordering on a C+)

Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:34 am
New Server, Same X

Mr. X wrote:

Interesting take on it. In some ways I guess I agree. I think the whole twist of the movie was the 'movie' itself. They come up with the idea of trying to make a film without any,,,,substance. Excluding the uncle I dont think anyone every departed from a straight face look. This movie is so dry its dirt and thats the catch. Thats what made if funny. I found myself looking for humor in everything, and found it at times. Imagine if you knew this guy....Could it have been funnier, yes. An 'R' rating could have let them push the envelope with humor but that wasnt the point. I think they wanted to make a film that was a joke. It turned out to be a unique humorous odd ball sleeper.

I'd give it a C+

Yeah, I figured that was the pitch, and usually I love stuff like that. I will rent this again, just to see if my opinion changes. Perhaps I was having a bad day when I saw it.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:00 pm
New Server, Same X

I fell asleep watching it yesterday. I made it through the first half, and form what I saw, it wasn't as good as people are raving it to be. I should watch the last half though, so I won't make any calls before then.

Well, if any part of this film was funny or good, it was the first half. I doubt you'll want to see the rest.

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:00 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I was a little dissappointed with the film, I thought it was good but it wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. B-

Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Overall ND is a good film, but a little uneven. It doesn't have a great first half, but it picks up in the last 45 minutes or so. Also, Diedrich Bader, although was only in the film for about 5 minutes, was funny. The wedding sequence also after the credits were funny as well, even though it's a little long (Over 5 minutes or so).

Napoleon Dynamite isn't as good as it was made out to be, but it's still a funny film.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:20 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

Hmmm, well the characters are taken to an extreme. I bet no one knew that already?

But despite it's oddness, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments throughout the film to keep you interested, and underneath it all there's a big big big heart.

Napoleon/Heder's quirkyness, or him going at it with the ball are priceless.

A-

Best Actress 2008

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:02 pm
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

A

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

After viewing another couple of times, I started to love it. B+ from a B-

Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:02 am
Profile WWW
Aspiring Director

Ahh, I'm so sick of hearing about NAPOLEON DYNAMITE. The movie sucked, and to add insult to injury I have to listen to people talk about it all the time at school. Why did this movie catch on with teenagers? I'll admit, a couple of scenes made me laugh (Napoleon's dance towards the end) but it was mostly boring, plotless and uninteresting. I think this was one of the only movies to feature no plot at all...it was literally just a bunch of scenes edited together with no narrative flow. Grr...I hate this movie more everytime I hear someone say "Gosh!" or something equally clever at school. Down with NAPOLEON DYNAMITE!

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was really funny the first time but contrary to popular belief it has NO rewatch value.

7/10 (B-)

Sat May 07, 2005 8:47 am
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

The Movie is so interesting and weird, it has its funny moments is definitely not a laugh out loud kinda movie

but its just incredibly stupid and pointless

C

Sun May 22, 2005 10:49 pm
Hot Fuss

A year after it's release, I finally see it. My history teacher brought in a bootleg copy for us to watch yesterday and today (Finished with exams, waiting for school to end).

By itself, it's a pretty bad movie. There isn't much substance. But when watched in a group setting, it becomes more of an event flick. Kinda like how Rocky Picture Horror Show is best viewed with a crowd of retarded drunk people. Yeah. The quirk works, anyway, and I admit I chuckled a few times.

7/10

Wed May 25, 2005 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Veteran

I'm embarrassed how much I laughed while watching this stupid movie.....and I'm not a teenager...not even close. I can't wait to watch it again to see if it's even funnier and if I raise my grade from a B.

Isn't it strange to see former child actress Tina Majorina (Water World, etc.) as Deb?

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

I'm embarrassed how much I laughed while watching this stupid movie.....and I'm not a teenager...not even close. I can't wait to watch it again to see if it's even funnier and if I raise my grade from a B.

Isn't it strange to see former child actress Tina Majorina (Water World, etc.) as Deb?

When I saw Tina I almost flipped out. I used to lvoe her when I was little. Especially in Andre. It was cool seeing her. :grin:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:25 am
Profile YIM WWW
Forum General

I thought I posted in this thread. Well, I thought the movie was terrible, stupid, boring and ... yeah, not my kind of flick.

3/10 (D-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I can't stand this movie... I don't wanna re-say everything Mr. X said... so I'll just grade it...

6.2/10 (D-)

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:39 pm
Forum General

I can't stand this movie... I don't wanna re-say everything Mr. X said... so I'll just grade it...

6.2/10 (D-)

How in the world is a 6/10 a (D-)? :-k

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
College Boy Z

ChipMunky wrote:

6.2/10 (D-)

How in the world is a 6/10 a (D-)? :-k

Not everyone goes by your grading system...

But, if you want to know, it's the school grading system for most schools.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next