Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Blowup 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Blowup 

Post Blowup
Blowup

Quote:
Blowup (or Blow-Up) is a 1966 British-Italian-American co-production film directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, his first English-language film.

It tells of a British photographer's accidental involvement with a murder, inspired by Julio Cortázar's short story, "Las babas del diablo" or "The Devil's Drool" (1959) and by the life of Swinging London photographer David Bailey. The film was scored by jazz pianist Herbie Hancock, although the music is diegetic, as Hancock noted: "It's only there when someone turns on the radio or puts on a record." Nominated for several awards at the Cannes Film Festival, Blowup won the Grand Prix.

The film stars David Hemmings, Vanessa Redgrave, Sarah Miles, John Castle, Jane Birkin, Tsai Chin and Gillian Hills. The 1960s model Veruschka has a scene considered by Premiere as "the sexiest cinematic moment in history". The screenplay was written by Antonioni and Tonino Guerra, with English dialogue by British playwright Edward Bond. The film was produced by Carlo Ponti, who had contracted Antonioni to make three English-language films for MGM (the others were Zabriskie Point and The Passenger).

Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:01 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I think the less I say about this Antonioni's supposed masterpiece the better as the film simply angered me with its self-indulgence, emptiness and wannabe smartness. I wish I could say this movie which somewhat sells itself on a false premise was all style and no substance, but sadly even the style wasn't all that great. It's just a somewhat tedious flick about an arrogant dimwitted moron who apparently is a good photographer, likes screwing around and is somehow enlightened when one of his photos apparently documents a murder.

All that uses the 60s London as backdrop and a least somewhat manages to capoutre that time period well on-screen. the music is the movie's best aspect followed by some pretty nifty cinematography. As for the rest, I simply can't say a single positive word about it other than it didn't simply bore me, but much rather angered and annoyed me. To lose more words about it would be a waste of time and space.

Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:57 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Blowup
I caught Blowup for the first time a few months back. What a movie! What a soundtrack! Antonioni cements his status with this one.

If someone asked me to show them a movie to express the importance of sound design, I'd throw this their way.

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:17 pm
Extraordinary

The only movie I've ever watched again immediately after finishing.

A+

Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

To be honest, The plot really just wanders around the entire time and I didnt know what to expect next, but dammit if I wasn't entralled. What a commanding performance by the lead. A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:00 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Other than The Yardbirds (who were great, but The Who should have been cast), the "Blow-up" scene, and the Vanessa Redgrave in the park scene, not much to like. The final scene, which I am sure everyone loves, could have been axed and don't tell me there was something beautiful in the tennis racket sounds. The main character is a shallow, woman hating (except the neighbor chick, maybe), semi-rapist, ass.

The movie looked good and I second the sound being exceptional. A number of the clothes were somewhat cool.

B-.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

why does no one get this?

Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:04 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I know, the whole film is an illusion, the ending is important in at least setting up that theory. Without it the movie wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:53 pm
Extraordinary

what are you talking about?

Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 am
Extraordinary

so you are in the Dr. Lecter camp. Always a good camp to be in.

Sun May 24, 2009 4:00 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

The way Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings need to touch the surfaces with their bare hands to make themself believe that there is some sort of unchangeable reality which they are experiencing, is enough to give this movie an A+

Sun May 24, 2009 4:48 pm
Pure Phase

I love this movie. I caught it again on TCM a few days ago. It always reminds me a bit of Chinatown. I love how the initial allure of the '60s London setting gives way to a palpable sense of dread, which the ending doesn't alleviate. And it's very sexy in general, which never hurts.

I'd love a Blu-ray release.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]