Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 The Vanishing (1993) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Vanishing (1993) 
Extraordinary

Post The Vanishing (1993)
The Vanishing

Quote:
The Vanishing is a 1993 thriller starring Jeff Bridges, Kiefer Sutherland and Nancy Travis. It is an American remake of a 1988 Franco-Dutch film, also directed by George Sluizer.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:43 am
Extraordinary

Crap compared to the original by the same director. How could a clearly talented director screw up such an intense and masterful story? Perhaps it was the language barrier.

Anyways, if you haven't seen either version, absolutely start with the Spoorloos, the original 1988 Dutch film - it's a true horror masterpiece...

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:59 am
htm

This was an interesting movie, though pretty much in the throwaway category in terms of most aspects (acting, writing... pretty much everything, lol). I did like some of the ideas toyed with here, and there was some interesting details that made it fun and entertaining. The story had potential that is apparently met in the original, which I definitely want to see now.

It isn't bad for an afternoon film, but nothing to write home about.

C+

Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:07 am
On autopilot for the summer

Sutherland was good, as was the supporting cast. Maybe it was Bridge's horrible accent that hurt this film for me. Definitely not as balsy as the original, but on its own, it does have some interesting things. Not really ever scary though.

C+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:21 pm
htm

Sutherland was good, as was the supporting cast. Maybe it was Bridge's horrible accent that hurt this film for me. Definitely not as balsy as the original, but on its own, it does have some interesting things. Not really ever scary though.

C+

I do think the score was creepy enough, though. Semi-suspenseful. I liked Bridges here, but thought Travis' character was horribly acted out. Just awful.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:04 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: The Vanishing (1993)
I've never seen the original. Thought this was a very good thriller though. Nancy Travis was great.

8/10 (B+)

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 am
Sbil

One of the worst remakes ever.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 am
On autopilot for the summer

I know it's not as good, but I always found the cast effective, and Bridges while goofy extremely creepy. Also that shot of the shovel actually separating like half his head at the end has always been very disgusting for me to watch.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:36 am
now we know

I thought this was really good. The ending could have been better. It's got some merit, but I envisaged it being pulse-pounding with an actual revelation. Jeff Bridges is creepy as fuck, and I think he did a bang-up job as Barney, Nordic ESL accent included. I loved the preparation and attempts he made to kidnap. All-in-all, The Vanishing is a severely underrated 90s thriller.

B+

Sat May 05, 2018 12:24 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's a bit of a mess. Though it has some mildly entertaining moments, definitely no where near as good as the Dutch original. Particularly the score is quite different for the worse and the ending is bastardized. Even though the plot, for the first half at least, is mostly the same, the whole film just feels different. It's nice to see young(er) versions of Sutherland, Bullock and Bridges in this and the latter actually dials up a pretty zany and memorable character. The Rita character is totally out of place though, not familiar with the actress playing her, and didn't like the performance either.

C+

Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 pm
now we know

Seems like you wanted a same-make, not a remake.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:51 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, it's weird watching a story I know and it then going different than that. Probably it will be easier to enjoy this not knowing about the original, it's like book and video game adaptions too I guess. There would be no point remaking this just in English, so the changes at least make it somewhat stand on it's own, just with the original out there, this, though bigger budgeted, feels like the B-version of it.

Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]