Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Timecop 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Timecop 
College Boy Z

Post Timecop
Timecop

Quote:
Timecop is a 1994 science-fiction thriller film directed by Peter Hyams and co-written by Mike Richardson and Mark Verheiden. Richardson was also executive producer. The film is based on "Time Cop", a serial written by Verheiden and drawn by Phil Hester and Chris Warner which appeared in the series Dark Horse Comics, published by Dark Horse Comics.

The film stars Jean-Claude Van Damme as a U.S. Federal agent in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when time travel is possible. It also stars Ron Silver as a rogue politician and Mia Sara as the agent's wife. The story follows an interconnected web of episodes in the agent's life (or perhaps lives) as he fights time-travel crime and investigates the politician's unusually successful career.

Timecop remains Van Damme's highest grossing film (breaking the $100,000,000 barrier for a worldwide gross). It was also regarded as one of Van Damme's better films by critics who usually derided his acting ability.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:39 am
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Timecop
It just might be the dumbest film I've ever seen, but damn it's entertaining. How exactly does a person avoid being shot by a gun that puts gigantic holes in walls, by hiding behind a chair that ends up be obliterated while he's hiding behind it?

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:56 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Bumped for stuffp. ;)

Not seen it for years, but I never loved this movie. I'd actually relish watching it again. It's an odd one for me because I love every Van Damme film released around that time but never this one. Which is strange because it was his highest-grossing film and very popular, which so was Bloodsport and I also never loved that either. There might be a trend there. Timecop is good, and it's certainly grown on me since but growing up I was always indifferent to science-fiction. Other people would love a sci-fi flick and I would always prefer straight up guns and muscles action, not time travel and phasers. And Van Damme's hair here too is just laughable. I much prefer his funny haircut in Hard Target. I also always got the sense that the time travel ending in Timecop had been done before. Whether it had or not, I don't actually know.

B

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

So yeah, I just watched this again the other day, and it was great revisit. I was into Van Damme and action films growing up, and liked Timecop at the time as much, but felt it got muddled among other films I've got to see since. Upon seeing it again it's pretty great though. It stands its ground with a well written story and both Van Damme and Silver portray the roles of respectively protagonist and antagonist excellently. It's further helped by good special effects that don't feel outdated, although 1994's view of 2004 is a bit comically futuristic compared to what 2004 was actually like in hindsight. But the film boasts dramatic effects and comic relief, some great one-liners in this, to highs that make Timecop a very enjoyable watch. It's a sci-fi action film plentiful of strengths. And the cherry on top is that there's shots of some of the best looking looking breasts I've ever seen on film.

A-

Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:43 am
now we know

stuffp wrote:
And the cherry on top is that there's shots of some of the best looking looking breasts I've ever seen on film.

Still got the file? Pause and take a photo for me. I'd like to confirm this.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:04 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Confirmed. They're pretty great!

Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:54 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

I always thought this was one of JCVD's better films. Very enjoyable.

And Mia Sara!! Had to do some googling as forgot the scene mentioned above.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:21 am
On autopilot for the summer

Solid Sci Fi Action film. Probably JCVD best film. It still has a lot of cheese in there, but it is very entertaining, and a great premise, and Ron Silver and supporting cast help sell some of the absurdity of the science. A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:59 pm
now we know

It is the most commercial Van Damme film. I think that helped with its box office at the time and with its reputation as Van Damme's best movie. But for me, I just cannot see how it's better than Cyborg or Universal Soldier or Kickboxer or Nowhere to Run or Hard Target.

I even prefer Street Fighter. ;)

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:07 pm
Profile WWW

1. JCVD
2. Sudden Death
3. Timecop
4. Bloodsport
5. Universal Soldier
6. Hard Target

I love them all. Street fighter only works for me with Raul Julia

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 pm
now we know

Wow, you really are a mainstreamer. :P

I don't get your Street Fighter comment. Raul Julia is in the film, so it works for you every time, I guess. :huh:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:07 pm
Profile WWW

No I'm saying Van Damme is horrible in the movie. I still kind of like it only because of Julia.

I'm not sure how I'm a mainstreamer when I literally named 3 films you just did. Almost all of his films are pretty trashy and non mainstream. Double Team, Maximum Risk, and Kickboxer are fine too, and his DTV stuff was decent too. I'll take him over Seagal any time.

And Cyborg is pure awfulness. I would have preferred the Masters of the Universe sequel.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm
now we know

You mentioned two movies I did, and you're a mainstreamer because you like all his mainstream/popular hits. Timecop, Bloodsport, Universal Soldier, and Hard Target. You even like JCVD! :rofl:

Cyborg is excellent. Fuck you gun!

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]