Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The "Brothers & Sisters" Thread (Season 1) 
Sbil

Post The "Brothers & Sisters" Thread (Season 1)
ABC's ensemble family drama Brothers & Sisters, starring Calista Flockhart, Sally Field, Rachel Griffiths, Balthazar Getty, Dave Annable, Matthew Rhys, Patricia Wettig and Ron Rifkin, premieres tonight at 10 PM EST, following Desperate Housewives.

There's been some bad buzz swirling around the show after multiple production changes over the summer, but let's see how the show actually is, and does in the same time slot that Grey's Anatomy became an instant hit in.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:37 am
The Kramer

didn't they already do this last year with Sons and Daughters?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:41 am
Forum General

I really can't wait to see this and see if it's really good or not.

Unfortunately, I'll have to tape it and watch it tomorrow as with Housewives since I'm out tonight.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:15 pm
Forum General

The pilot's received some positive reviews (Wall Street Journal, USA Today, New York Post), but some pretty scathing ones, as well (Time, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Variety).

I'm still really looking forward to it. I'll be watching.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
Orphan

Awful show. The characters and performances were very annoying. So shrill.

Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:40 pm
Forum General

It was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but I ultimately ended up liking it.

The acting was uniformly great. Sally Field, Calista Flockhart, Rachel Griffiths, and Ron Rifkin are all extremely qualified actors, even solely based on their TV resumes.

But they're almost too good for the writing that was on display tonight: The rapport between the siblings and family was cheesy and incredibly contrived, and you could tell it wasn't the actors' faults. The dialogue, especially near the beginning, felt stagey and unnatural.

The stuff with the business I also found utterly boring. Embezzlement? Is that going to be the crux of the season? I hope not.

What did work for me, though, was Kitty's politics and its implications with her relationship with her family. It didn't necessarily feel real to me, and it definitely wasn't as provocative as it could've been, but I find stuff like that interesting. Stuff like the mom being able to reconcile her feelings toward the husband's and son's political leanings but not toward Kitty's did kind of feel real to me, though.

My only worry is that what I'm finding most interesting in the show looks to be (at least looking at the previews for next week) that which is going to be abandoned for more melodramatic plotlines ("I wish I was DEAD!"). I hope that's not the case.

It wasn't perfect, but I'll still be watching, definitely. I'm even more willing to keep up with this than I am with something like Studio 60.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Yeah, the pilot could've been better (its focus was a little off), but I still enjoyed it.

The cast is pretty amazing (and I actually have always liked Calista Flockhart, I was an Ally McBeal fan back in the day), and the included political element was fairly interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Rachel Griffiths' storyline with the crooked family business, but I guess we should wait to see how that's going to turn out.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:49 am
Team Kris

Yeah, the pilot could've been better (its focus was a little off), but I still enjoyed it.

The cast is pretty amazing (and I actually have always liked Calista Flockhart, I was an Ally McBeal fan back in the day), and the included political element was fairly interesting. I wasn't a huge fan of Rachel Griffiths' storyline with the crooked family business, but I guess we should wait to see how that's going to turn out.

That's what I thought too. Decent but could be WAY better!

And damn, can this family be any more good looking???

The whole family secret (which I could guess based on Patricia Wettig's character) reeks too much of Pasadena.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:17 am
Team Kris

I am glad that Dave Annable (the youngest sibling... Justin?) isn't playing a geek/lovelorn sidekick this time.

Mini-Ally McBeal reunion between Josh Hopkins and Calista Flockhart. lol

It's funny how the little girl (Paige?) can name off stars and constellations yet is oblivious to her grandfather clutching his chest and having difficulty breathing. That's tragic melodrama right there!

Kevin (?) the gay brother was barely in the pilot and with and was given nothing really when he shows up. I'd like to see him butt heads with Kitty more with their politics but it seems like it's the mother who would butt heads more with Kitty. Can you smell Matt from Melrose Place?

Rachel Griffiths once again, is fine.

Oh... Balthazar Getty have always played shady characters. I wouldn't be too shocked if he knew about his dad's secrets or at least a part of them.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:05 am
New Server, Same X

Hmm... sounds like I can skip the series?

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 pm
Team Kris

Hmm... sounds like I can skip the series?

It's an acquired taste. :lol:

Seems like you could as according to Marc Berman, it lost more than 2 million viewers in the 2nd half-hour. And the showrunner changes (hello, Commander in Chief, anyone?) doesn't sound too promising.

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:53 pm
Forum General

I really enjoyed it. And I agree with almost everything everyone has been saying.

I don't know how great of a drama this could develop into on network TV but I think it's really the type of thing I would watch. Of course, there are 4 actors from 2 alumni shows that now rank in my top 5 of all time (3 from Alias and 1 from Six Feet Under) but that's beside the point. :tongue:

I liked the ending. I'm kinda glad the dad passed away... I don't know, he just didnt seem to fit in the show to me and it makes it alot more interesting having some secrets to uncover without being able to confront him.

I don't think Rachel Griffiths will ever live down Six Feet Under... at least in my eyes. She just seems like such a weird fit for any character that's not Brenda ;) but I love to see her :biggrin:

And ya... what a hot cast! :happy:

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:40 pm
Forum General

Both Sally feild's and Rachel Griffiths' breakdowns were awesome!!

And that troubled son is so freakin hot :blush:

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:09 am
New Server, Same X

Rachel Griffiths and Ron Rifkin are the main reasons why I want to try this series. I might try to find the first two shows, and see if it's worth the watch.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:45 am
New Server, Same X

Rachel Griffiths and Ron Rifkin are the main reasons why I want to try this series. I might try to find the first two shows, and see if it's worth the watch.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:45 am
Forum General

I don't exactly know what it is and I wouldn't call him a bad actor since I haven't seen him do much more, but I loathe Balthazar Getty as an actor. It's like he adds nothing. He has like no emotions.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:28 pm
Forum General

Ok, so I REALLY liked this episode. :blush:
And I do think it was the best episode so far. It wasn't over the top cliche and drama like the first couple of episodes were.

EVERYONE on this show is either freakin hot or incredibly cute/adorable.

And I just realized that Sal and Holly also played potential love interests on Alias (Holly played the CIA therapist that in season 3 some thought would hook up with Sloane... or at least I thought there was something).

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:30 am
Forum General

I think it's my second favorite show of the season after Ugly Betty... don't think I would have evr believed I'd have two new shows as my top 2 favorites (especially over Lost and DH).

It's like Ugly Betty for me in that it's really fun to watch.

I think it's unlike Ugly Betty in the sense that I think it may actually take itself somewhat seriously. However, I don't. I think it can pretty cliche and overly dramatic at times and predictable but I enjoy it because I love these types of family dramas. :happy:

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:15 am
Forum General

So, I'm obviously the only one here watching this show :tongue:

It was GREAT tonight. Kinda reminded me of The Family Stone dinner scene.

But ya, it just keeps surprising me how much they emphasize and play in the dynamics involved with the gay character.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:42 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watch it religiously. It's one of my favorites of the season. I missed last night's but I taped it and will watch it soon!

Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:42 am
Profile YIM
Sbil

I keep wanting to watch this and then not getting around to it. I've been kindasorta keeping up with the ABC.com "previouslies" but they don't actually show episodes for this like they do for other shows.

Hopefully I can watch it this Sunday

Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:51 pm
Forum General

I'm behind, but I do all have all the episodes recorded.

The pilot I liked, the second episode I thought was baaaaad, but the third episode ("Affairs of State," the one with the party where Nora reveals that she knew about the affair) I liked.

I'll be catching up soon.

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm behind, but I do all have all the episodes recorded.

The pilot I liked, the second episode I thought was baaaaad, but the third episode ("Affairs of State," the one with the party where Nora reveals that she knew about the affair) I liked.

I'll be catching up soon.

I actually started to REALLY like it. I hinestly think the gay storyline adds alot to it because it's somethin we have rarely ever seen on network television.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:04 am
Sbil

So I'm watching it right now, it's pretty gosh darn good. Kind of mad I haven't been upkeeping watching it.

Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:43 pm
Forum General

So I'm watching it right now, it's pretty gosh darn good. Kind of mad I haven't been upkeeping watching it.

It's gotten insanely addicting for me. They've had some really great episodes in the last few weeks.

I think it's stupid how out of all of ABC's shows, B&S seems to be one of those that would MOST benefit from re-airing free online or at LEAST being up on iTunes to download and it's neither. Somtimes, I seriously don't understand the thinking process that goes into that kind of stuff.

Grey's Anatomy repeats like crazy and you don't miss much if you miss one episode.
Lost... if you miss an episode, there are so many ways to get it, it's not even anythng to worry about: people record, discuss it with detail constantly, and have it up to download on the internet like the next day.

Not to mention those shows as well as The Nine and DH are ALL on i-Tunes.

Why not have B&S on ABC.com? :unsure:

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next