Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 All the King's Men (2006) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't plan on seeing this film 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

All the King's Men (2006) 
Sbil

Post All the King's Men (2006)
All the King's Men

Quote:
All the King's Men is a 2006 film adaptation of the 1946 Pulitzer Prize-winning novel All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren. It was directed by Steven Zaillian, who also produced and scripted.

The story is about the life of Willie Stark (played by Sean Penn), a fictional character resembling Louisiana governor Huey Long. The film co-stars Jude Law, Kate Winslet, Anthony Hopkins, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo, Patricia Clarkson and Jackie Earle Haley in his first film since Maniac Cop III: Badge of Silence thirteen years prior.

All the King's Men had previously been adapted by Robert Rossen in 1949. Although it does not follow the 1949 film's narrative and is more faithful to the novel than the earlier movie, the 2006 film is often considered a remake of the 1949 version. According to IMDb, Zaillian never saw the original film, and adapted the screenplay solely from Warren's novel.

Filming took place in New Orleans, Morgan City, Donaldsonville, at the Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge and many other places in Louisiana.

The world premiere was held at the Toronto Film Festival on September 11, 2006. There the film was first screened to the press. A special screening was held at the Tulane University in New Orleans on September 16, 2006.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:45 pm
Pure Phase

Wow, I completely disagree with critics here. I thought Steven Zaillian hit a home run with All The King's Men! It's a compelling, suspenseful film following an idealistic Louisiana politician who flirts with corruption and his conflicted right-hand man. Performances are across-the-board terrific, including a cunning, ferocious Sean Penn and a charming, restrained Jude Law. The film's very well-made. I was especially impressed by Pawel Edelman's atmospheric cinematography (I adored how he shot he a key third act scene in B&W). I don't see why critics hated this so much honestly. I was enthralled from beginning to end and give it a very, very strong A.

It'll be on my year-end top 10 list, definitely.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]