Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Ginger Snaps 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Ginger Snaps 
College Boy Z

Post Ginger Snaps
Ginger Snaps

Quote:
Ginger Snaps is a 2000 Canadian werewolf film directed by John Fawcett. The film focuses on two teenage sisters, Ginger and Brigitte Fitzgerald (Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins), who are obsessed with death. The title is a pun on the cookie of the same name. "Snap" also relates to losing one's self-control, or a quick, aggressive bite. During the film's production, the Columbine High School massacre and the W. R. Myers High School shooting took place, causing public controversy over the film's horror themes and the funding it received from Telefilm.

Ginger Snaps was well received by critics, and compared favourably with auteur David Cronenberg's work. Critics also praised the lead actresses performances and the film's use of lycanthropy as a metaphor for puberty. Ginger Snaps won the Special Jury Citation award at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Based on successful DVD sales, both a sequel, Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed, and a prequel, Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning, were filmed back-to-back in 2003. Even though Ginger Snaps II: Unleashed had a limited, yet wider, release than the original, it failed dismally at the box office. Consequently Ginger Snaps Back went direct-to-video.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:54 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Great movie. One of my personal favorites. All the sequels are pretty good too.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was good, but overrated. The sequel is better.

B-

Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:54 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Loved it! It has grown on me the more times I watch it. The first time I saw it I wasn't sure what to think, but it depressed the hell out of me. I gave it a watch a year later and liked it a lot better, and since have come to love it more.

8/10 (A-)

Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Loved it! It has grown on me the more times I watch it. The first time I saw it I wasn't sure what to think, but it depressed the hell out of me. I gave it a watch a year later and liked it a lot better, and since have come to love it more.

8/10 (A-)

Have you seen the sequels?

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Mike wrote:

8/10 (A-)

Have you seen the sequels?

Yes. I own all of the movies (including the Canadian CE of the first) and rented all of them the day they hit DVD. I actually like the second better. That one is a 9/10 (A-). The third is a 7/10 ( B ).

Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:47 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Ginger Snaps
I thought the girls were annoying at first, clearly pulled straight from the goth-Daria playbook. The portion of the film that takes place in between Ginger being attacked and going full wolf was very good though. "I had this itch, and I thought it was for sex, but I really just wanted to tear them apart!" is about as fit an analogy for this period in a woman's life. Also LOLed hard when mom was about to find the body in the freezer but Bridgette was able to distract her by asking for life lessons.

I dunno why, but I thought it became quite boring once Ginger actually snapped and became the wolf. Felt like we were just running in place. Ginger made her decision, and if even if she was cured there was no going back.

B-/C+ ish

Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]