Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ridley Scott talks Gladiator 2 again... 
You must have big rats

Post Ridley Scott talks Gladiator 2 again...
"Doing interviews for the release of "Tristan and Isolde" on DVD which he helped produce, acclaimed helmer Ridley Scott talked with UGO who asked him about the often mentioned but never really developed "Gladiator" sequel that has been attempting to get off the ground for several years now:

I've heard that you and Russell Crowe approached Nick Cave about writing a Gladiator sequel?

We tried. Russell didn't want to let it go, obviously, because it worked very well. I mean, when I say 'worked very well,' I don't refer to success. I mean, as a piece it works very well. Storytelling, he works brilliantly. I think he enjoyed doing it, and I think it was one of those things that he thought, "Well, maybe there's a sequel where we can adjust the fantasy and bring him back from the dead."

You said that you loved the ending. What was it about that draft that you couldn't get it off the ground?

We were all having a go. DreamWorks was having a go, so we were having a go. DreamWorks was addressing Rome without Maximus, because clearly he's gone, and he's dead. Therefore, it would be to the son that Maximus had probably left behind with his affair with Lucilla. You're then basing a film on a different kind of premise. Again, you're basing it on a corrupt Rome, the Rome that would be heading to its own demise. It was far more rambling and complex. Often great plays are very simple, and I think that the mechanics of the Gladiator story were really very satisfactory and worked very well."

SOURCE

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Doesn't look like it will ever happen now, hmm...

Sun May 07, 2006 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Artie the One-Man Party

Good. Let memorable movies rest in peace.

Sun May 07, 2006 9:25 pm
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Yes, good. They don't need another one, its a great stand alone.

Sun May 07, 2006 11:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]