Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Reign of Fire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Reign of Fire 
College Boy Z

Post Reign of Fire
Reign of Fire

Quote:
Reign of Fire (2002) is an action fantasy film directed by Rob Bowman and starring Christian Bale, Matthew McConaughey, Gerard Butler, and Izabella Scorupco. It takes place in the year 2020 in England, after dragons have reawakened. The film grossed about $82 million on a $60 million budget.

I was a bit disappointed at the low number of good action scenes, but the few it had were good enough to make up for it. I didn't like the cast outside of Christian Bale much, though.

B

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:42 pm
---------

Enjoyed this one quite a lot. Can't believe Matthew McCanaughey was in this looking back now. He was... bald. I thought everything was well-done in this, except for the action scenes leading up to the final one.

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:48 pm
Extraordinary

This is a serious dragon movie - it is directed and acted with a high intensity level - and best of all, I believed in this world for the couple hours I was immersed in the story. Special effects are good, but not central to the story - its all about humanity's survival, man!

4 out of 5.

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:48 am
You must have big rats

It's tons of fun and Matthew McConaughey is probably in his best role here. His craziness even outshines Christian Bale. One major complaint I have about this film is simply that they didn't use enough of the awesome potential. I wish they'd have shown some real armies vs. dragons battles. That'd have rocked. Instead, they chose to tell about that over news reports, bleh. The visual effects on the dragons were amazing!

Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Enjoyable movie with McConaughey on top scenry chewing form but this film suffered a bit from the stunning Ad campaign which promised more. Still there are worse things you could do then watch this.

B-

Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:22 pm
Teenage Dream

One of the few films out there that manages to slide by on it's potential alone. It never reaches the heights you are hoping for, but some great performances and solid direction help to ease that.

B

Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:41 pm
loyalfromlondon

Definitely a case of wasted potential. The only point that I really felt it captured what I wanted to see was when they got to London and saw the Parliament Buildings infested with dragons. That was pretty cool. Other than that, it's just a generic action flick, with good actors working around clumsy dialogue, some great production design, and rather silly action sequences. The effects are great, but not fully utilized enough, too. Gerard Butler is riotous for the first half an hour, but then he just disappears until his death, and Bale is rather bland here; McConaughey is great, though. There's some great post-apocalyptic ideas played with at the beginning (like when they re-enact The Empire Strikes Back) and I wished it could have stayed the road of sci-fi drama instead of action flick, but oh well. Kinda disappointing, but not terrible.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:00 pm
You must have big rats

This should have had a budget about $50 million bigger and played up the epic scenario more and the makers would have had a solid huge hit on their hands.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

This should have had a budget about $50 million bigger and played up the epic scenario more and the makers would have had a solid huge hit on their hands.

Yeah, that was another problem I had with it. It wasn't broad enough; it was too focused on this one band of survivors. I would have loved to see some dragon ass-kicking around the world.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:10 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

F. The action dazzled me even more than the action in The English Patient.

Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Stanley Cup

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:38 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was entertaining, but also a bit on the dull side. Special effects were great though.

B-

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:27 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]