Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 End of the Spear 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

End of the Spear 
College Boy Z

Post End of the Spear
End of the Spear

Quote:
End of the Spear is a 2006 docudrama film that recounts the story of Operation Auca, in which five American Christian missionaries attempted to evangelize the Huaorani (Waodani) people of the jungle of Ecuador. Based on actual events from the 1950s in which five male missionaries were speared by members of the Waodani tribe, the movie tells the story from the perspective of Steve Saint (the son of Nate Saint, one of the murdered missionaries), and Mincayani, one of the tribesmen who killed the missionaries. The two eventually form a bond that continues to this day.

Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:10 pm
Cream of the Crop

Just saw this last night on DVD.... Not sure quite yet what to rate it, so I'll do that later. I thought it was a good movie and was surprised at how little preachiness was in it; I was expecting a LOT more. I liked the moral of the story--a single lie can lead to a lot of misunderstandings and damaging actions.

I do have a question for those who saw this in theaters:

Did they have subtitles for the Waodani scenes? We watched about a third of the movie before we started getting REALLY confused due to the lack of subtitles. We turned on the regular subtitles, and suddenly the native dialogue made sense! Anyone know why there weren't automatically subtitles on the scenes with Waodani language?

I liked the little excerpt from "Beyond the Gate" that played during the credits; it was fun to see the real Mincayani visiting the US and learning about supermarkets and drive-thru windows! :)

Joy

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]