Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Fog (1980) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

The Fog (1980) 
College Boy Z

Post The Fog (1980)
The Fog

Quote:
The Fog is a 1980 horror movie directed by John Carpenter, who also co-wrote the screenplay and composed the music for the film. It stars Adrienne Barbeau, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Atkins and Janet Leigh. It tells the story of a strange, glowing fog that sweeps in over a small coastal town in California, bringing with it the vengeful ghosts of mariners who were killed in a shipwreck there exactly 100 years earlier.

The Fog was Carpenter's first feature film after the success of his 1978 horror Halloween, which also starred Jamie Lee Curtis. Though not as big a success as Halloween, the film received some good reviews (with a 69% positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes) and was also a commercial success. A remake of the film was made in 2005.

It's not a horror classic or anything, but I thought it was pretty good. For 1980, it can get quite suspensful, and the score works well. Never is the movie scary, but I had fun watching it. I'm excited for the remake.

B-ish.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:36 pm
You must have big rats

It's not a classic horror movie, but it is still a memorable one, at least to me. John Carpenter's directing is at his best in this one and he does his job well by hinting many things rather then showing them. The acting while not outstanding, is still very decent all-around. The ending was a bit too anti-climatic and simple (but I was pleasently surprised to see the priest to be slayed as well), but overall the movie works well as a very old-fashioned horror flick which relies heavily on its atmosphere much rather than on cheap shocks.

Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

The reason why this film works is not because of the scares (There's one good one though), or because of the gore, but because of the tone Carpenter sets throughout the film and mostly the atmostphere, which Lecter already mentioned. The performances aren't really memorable with the exception of Barbeau. She's the standalone. Everyone else, including Jamie Lee Curtis were instantly forgettable. It doesn't really matter though. The special effects and atmostphere make up for the film's shortcomings, including some stuff about the backstory of the killers.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

The quintessential ghost story film. I love it. It unspools in the same kind of fashion you would hear a story told over a campfire, which makes Carpenter opening sequence so brilliant. Carpenter is a master with building tension, and he really shows off here. He also has some brilliant compositions and camera work up his sleeve. This might be his best directing job, even above Halloween. Superior acting from the entire cast, especially from Tom Atkins. There are several moments in the film that are truly scary, and the leper pirates are some of the best villians in horror history. Outstanding horror film. A

Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:03 am
You must have big rats

Hmmm, I don't remember a single scary moment in the movie, but the atmosphere is spot on. And now that I think of it (and especially in comparison to the remake), I start liking the ending more and more.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I agree, its not Carpenter's best, but the atmosphere is top notch for a film of this budget, independent film if I remember correctly. Its definately better then most seen today.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]