Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hipnos 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Hipnos 
College Boy Z

Post Hipnos
Hipnos

Quote:
Dr Sánchez Blanch owns and operates a psychiatric hospital where he specializes in hypnotizing his severely emotionally disturbed patients. When Beatriz Vargas accepts a position as a nurse in the institution, she quickly befriends a young girl who has been unable to communicate for years due to severe shock. Although she feels a strong bond with the young girl, Beatriz soon becomes very unhappy with the way the patients are being treated. Her unhappiness begins to result in conflicts with her superiors and co-workers, some of whom may prove to be more dangerous than she first realized. The nurse begins to suspect that she is dealing with something much worse than disgruntled coworkers; that her actual survival may be at stake. After a horrible death occurs at the facility, a man named Miguel poses as a police officer to get close to the inner workings of the hospital. Miguel befriends Beatriz and warns of the terrible danger that may be closing in on her.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:32 pm
You must have big rats

This is a Spanish movie about a young woman who comes to a psychiatric facility to fill a vacant. She deals with some pretty disturbed patients in there and soon she starts questioning her own sanity. She sees images that are not there, she has disturbing dreams and day visions and that all is connected to an insane murderer in the facility who claims that he's innocent and a young girl who was traumatized after witnessing a murder.

Now the thing is that by now I have simply seen too many of sanity/insanity movies like this one and most of them were better. Movies that fall into the category of this one are Oldboy, Trauma, Fight Club and The Machinist. This is exactly the style the movie is filmed in. It's a cool and bleak colored movie in which the facility itself thanks to great color contrasts and good cinematography oozes menace. However, I had the "been there seen that" feeling throughout the entire movie and I promise yxou, you will as well if you ever get a chance to see it.

Everything, from the movie's visual style over its cinematography and siturbing images up to its twist ending has been done before in one way or another. I am sure that if I hadn't seen all the aforementioned movies before and have seen this one, I'd have loved it. But now it comes across as a halfway successful rip-off, but a rip-off nonetheless. You'll probably figure out the ending about 20 minutes into the movie like I did as well. The very ending (the last 15 seconds actually!) are a bit unexpected and at the same time pretty shocking, though, but can't make up for the rest of the movie.

I was also wondering why the imagery of ants is always connected with insanity? I have seen that in Oldboy, in Trauma and now in this one. Why ants?

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]