Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 The Lookout 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 9 ]
B 52%  52%  [ 11 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 21

The Lookout 

Post The Lookout
The Lookout

Quote:
The Lookout is a 2007 crime film written and directed by Scott Frank, screenwriter of Out of Sight and Get Shorty, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Jeff Daniels, Matthew Goode, and Isla Fisher.

The Lookout is the directorial debut of the screenwriter Scott Frank. It was produced by Birnbaum/Barber, Laurence Mark Productions, Parkes/MacDonald Productions, Spyglass Entertainment, and Miramax Films. Miramax distributes the film in the USA, and Buena Vista International elsewhere.

Last edited by Nebs on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A well-executed film with some terrific actings from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels. Had some issue with the pace even though the film isn't long, a little too slow the first half and too fast the second; as a result, the ending isn't as satisfactory. The script actually feels pretty conventional, certainly no Memento here. Still, it held my attention throughout. B+/B.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A can't-miss stunner. Half poignant character study, half crime drama, this is a masterpiece boasting terrific acting (I can't decide who is the best: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Matthew Goode, or Jeff Daniels!), directing, and screenwriting. On par with The Departed, Out of Sight, Pulp Fiction, and other well-received titles from this genre. A.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:18 am
Extraordinary

I thought it was a good movie. The main role reminded me a bit of Gosling in Leland but Levitt is so much better in this somewhat similar role mentally speaking. I thought the story was nice and really enjoyed most of the characters. Didn't quite see the point of Luvlee but I guess she was needed as a emotional expression for Levitt. I really thought the final 30 min were the best but the buildup did feel slow at times but overally it was good for me.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:56 am
Forum General

Three months of 2007 film watching has now taken place and my top ten is filled with films that have surprised the hell out of me. The Lookout is no different. I expected an entertaining, well acted action movie. What I got was so much more. I got a wonderful, sometimes depressing, intense character study filled with fantastic acting. My favorite out of the cast is Jeff Daniels who is fantastic as a hysterical blind man. He has many great one liners in the film and overall was just a great character. Matthew Goode was also fantastic. After a few "nice roles" the past few years, he plays a dirty, scummy criminal and he does it almost too well. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was, as usual great as well. It was also nice to see Isla Fisher. I didn't even know she was in it. I thought it looked like her but stayed for the credits to see if it was actually her. She's so adorable. This movie is intense as hell too. There were actually times where I mouthed "RUN!" or something because I didn't want to actually scream it out to the screen because I didn't want to seem like an idiot. :p There were also several scenes where I was holding my hands together and making fists. A very, very intense movie. Definitely recommended!

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Orphan

Great acting and writing propel what is perhaps as close to an old-fashioned film noir (complete with a femme fatale) as we're likely to get not directed by Brian De Palma. Leavitt is fantastic in the lead and Daniels maybe outshines him. Gripping.

A-

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:16 pm
Speed Racer

I so want to see this and it just reminded me that I need to rent Brick from last year.

Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:29 pm
Iron Man

Good movie, I would have scored it higher if the first half wasn't so slow. B+

Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

Man I wish I had gone into the film blind, or Miramax at least hadn't made a trailer that telegraphed the entire film. That said, Gordon-Levitt proves that he's the real thing, someone who I could certainly see winning an Oscar a few years down the line. What could have been a pedestrian thriller instead focuses on the characters, and by doing so gives The Lookout a slow burn intensity that elevates it far above the genre. It's mainstream yet impeccably well-made. If I could make a complaint, it's that the ending - despite many tricks that are never too outlandish - veers a bit too heavily into well-worn territory. For a film that feels as free as The Lookout, I would have rather it ended a bit ballsier.

Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:30 am
Extraordinary

Now this is a movie that has the storytelling that I so often complain about other movies lacking.

This is a great story, well told. And frankly, when I look at the writer's past credits and they include a story-driven masterpiece like Dead Again, amongst other great work, I can't say I'm surprised. That writer, Scott Frank, here in his directorial debut proves his pedigree. This is a masterfully made film -- it's extraordinary.

A style-dependant movie like last year's Brick doesn't hold a candle to the prowess of The Lookout. This movie veritably hums with tension sprung from it's taut script and fine, fine acting.

This is clearly Top 10 material -- how lucky can we get to have a new classic this early in 2007?

8 out of 5.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:57 am
Extraordinary

It'd be nice for those who didn't get a chance to see this movie in it's original theatrical release to get a chance to discover it...

Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:25 am
Squee

Hasn't this movie come out on DVD yet?

It'd be nice for those who didn't get a chance to see this movie in it's original theatrical release to get a chance to discover it...

I saw it on my 4 hour flight to san fran sisco.

Of course seeing it on a 2 inch TV screen on the seat in front of me doesn't exactly do it justice. I'll be renting it when it comes out august 14th.

:glare:

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:16 am
College Boy Z

Post Re: The Lookout
A well-paced (imo, I didn't find it too slow or too fast at all) and well-written thriller, with some fantastic performances from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels. Almost A-worthy, but the ending was a tad bit weak.

Also, agreed with MovieDude on the trailer. It showed WAY too much, unfortunately.

B+

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:52 pm
Golfaholic

Great, little thriller. I'm becoming more and more a fan of Gordon-Levitt. A-

Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:56 pm
Another You

Decent, entertaining thriLLer with some impressive performances around, but its not as amazing as how I thought it wouLd be.

B

Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:44 am
You must have big rats

A-

The premise doesn't sound too exciting or overly original, but the screenplay and, in particular, the acting efforts by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels (who both IMO deserve Oscar nods for their performances) elevate this one far above the average movies of this kind. Gordon-Levitt's performance is fairly low-key and subtle, but played to a perfection, especially his scenes in the last quarter of the film are great. I must admit, however, that I admired Jeff Daniels' turn even more. Who'd have thought that both Dumb and Dumber leads would once turn into great dramatic actors?! Daniels' performance here is probably a career-high. His character stands in such a great contrast to Gordon-Levitt's and both have excellent chemistry together which leads to some very good scenes.

The movie is exceptionally funny at times, thrilling at others (pretty much the whole showdown) and very well-written. I still have a few qualms about it, especially that Isla Fisher's character didn't reappear towards the end anymore ands that Carla Gugino was wasted in this, but otherwise it is a very fine dramatic thriller with a satisfying conclusion. Highly recommended!

Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A great, underrated thriller with a sharp script and strong performances across the board. Best is Matthew Goode, who transforms himself into the film's terrifying yet fascinating villain.

B+

Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 pm
Profile YIM
Aspiring Director

Watched it last night and enjoyed it a lot.

Good performances, a little slow, could have used a more interesting ending (imho).

B

Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
invading your spaces

Thought it was alright. Daniels is pretty great here, Levitt is fine. The film didn't really leave an impression on me at all. It just kind of was.

Levitt was better in Brick, however this film doesn't suffer as many gimmicks as that one.

Quote:
If I could make a complaint, it's that the ending - despite many tricks that are never too outlandish - veers a bit too heavily into well-worn territory. For a film that feels as free as The Lookout, I would have rather it ended a bit ballsier.

I agree with this. I also think he gets off too incredibly easy in the end. I also think the film missed the opportunity to further explore Levitt's character's indecision when his life suddenly improves.

Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:21 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Very well-made, but also quite mainstream and there's nothing new in the script or the style. Everything is solid but fairly generic. The ending is also far too happy. Still, the performances are great and the story is involving and interesting. A bit longer runtime would have helped flesh out the characters more - some of them felt a bit shallow - and a bit more stylish direction would have been welcome to draw the viewer's attention away from the lapses in action. It's very good, but also very plain.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:26 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

A- i was FINALLY able to watch this. Stupid people had it checked out for like two months. But def worth the wait. Joseph Gordon-Levitt needs to break out. He's done wonderful small films. Great suspense and story-telling. Great acting. great movie.

Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:30 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I know I'm in quite a minority here, but I felt like this film simply never took off. It was like Memento but way less engrossing or intricate, and while some cast members - Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jeff Daniels - played their parts well, many other people - notably Isla Fischer - were unconvincing for me. The ending was okay, but I was expecting a much better bang considering the rest of the movie existed to set up to this point. It was a solid flick, but I was expecting quite a bit more than I got.

C+

Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]