Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hot Rod 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

Hot Rod 
Extraordinary

Post Hot Rod
Hot Rod

Quote:
Hot Rod is a 2007 American comedy film written by Pam Brady (along with Andy Samberg, Akiva Schaffer, and Jorma Taccone, who were uncredited) and directed by Akiva Schaffer. It stars Andy Samberg, Sissy Spacek, Jorma Taccone, Will Arnett, Danny R. McBride, Ian McShane, Isla Fisher, and Bill Hader. It was originally written with Will Ferrell in mind (he is credited as executive producer). The film was released in America on August 3, 2007. It was rated PG-13 in the United States and 12A in the United Kingdom. This is The Lonely Island's first feature film.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:06 pm
Commander and Chef

Post Re: Hot Rod
http://worldofkj.com/articleIndex.php?tid=30655

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:08 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I'm drawn in by Isla Fisher ( :wub2: ). I'm repulsed by everything else.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:24 pm
Commander and Chef

Gunslinger wrote:
I'm drawn in by Isla Fisher ( :wub2: ). I'm repulsed by everything else.

Its not for everyone. Its true.

The use of John Farnharm's You're The Voice though is positively brilliant.

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

In your opinion... if a person didn't laugh during the trailer, might they nonetheless enjoy the film? In other words, does the trailer properly convey what you'll see in the movie?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:31 pm
Commander and Chef

Gunslinger wrote:
In your opinion... if a person didn't laugh during the trailer, might they nonetheless enjoy the film? In other words, does the trailer properly convey what you'll see in the movie?

In the trailer, i maybe laughed twice. And that too once every trailer. And that too, only at the failed jumped attempts. I found the rest of the trailer appealing cause it catered to my humor but the actual content didn't amuse me. Much like The Nacho Libre trailer which served its purpose of appealing to me but not really being all that LOL in content.

Both films just told me they'd be ridiculous but not utterly stupid (like Epic Movie or Freddy Got Fingered).

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33324

D+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:41 am
Extraordinary

Hot Rod is A-OK!!!

I was kinda nervous, what with seein' my first non-Hairspray movie in six visits to the cinema -- but as it turns out, there was no need!

Hot Rod is tremendous.

I don't know what else I can say about it, except --> it rings totally psychologically twisted true.

A must-see comedy classic for anyone who has enjoyed the faux-sports-underdog genre oeuvre (which includes such gems as Dodgeball, Talledega Nights, Blades of Glory, Happy Gilmore, Stick It, Kingpin, Beerfest, The Ringer or even old-timey fare such as Caddyshack)...

12 out of 5.

(Note: Immediate TopTen status granted -- Sub-Note: This, hence, unfortunately knocks the outstanding anime film - Paprika out of my 2007 Top Ten list. -- Sub-Sub-Note: :sorry: )

Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm
College Boy Z

Do you realize there are 11 films in your top 10?

Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:58 pm
Begging Naked

Zingaling wrote:

Considering his ratings, wouldn't it be fitting?

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:09 am
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Hot Rod is A-OK!!!

I was kinda nervous, what with seein' my first non-Hairspray movie in six visits to the cinema -- but as it turns out, there was no need!

Hot Rod is tremendous.

I don't know what else I can say about it, except --> it rings totally psychologically twisted true.

A must-see comedy classic for anyone who has enjoyed the faux-sports-underdog genre oeuvre (which includes such gems as Dodgeball, Talledega Nights, Blades of Glory, Happy Gilmore, Stick It, Kingpin, Beerfest, The Ringer or even old-timey fare such as Caddyshack)...

12 out of 5.

(Note: Immediate TopTen status granted -- Sub-Note: This, hence, unfortunately knocks the outstanding anime film - Paprika out of my 2007 Top Ten list. -- Sub-Sub-Note: :sorry: )

Please do not lump Talledega Nights, Kingpin, Caddyshack and Dodgeball with the likes of Beerfest and Hot Rod. Its a big insult to the former comedies I mentioned

Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:46 am
Teenage Dream

I can not believe how much I enjoyed this. The trailer was, to put it mildly, disappointing, so I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it. I certainly never imagined that if not for a little movie called Knocked Up I'd be calling Hot Rod the best comedy of the year so far. In fact, I'd even say that as far as full blown belly laughs go, Hot Rod is the better comedy. Knocked Up is the over all better movie, but I haven't laughed this hard this consistently in a theater probably since Anchorman. If you can't dig on anti-humor and rampant use of non sequiturs, you will probably hate this movie (as most of the stone faced audience members I saw it with certainly did). If you can laugh at grilled cheese vs. taco, though, you'll have a blast.

Cool beans.

Oh, and whoever said all of the best gags are in the trailer -- you are insane!!!

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:21 am
Extraordinary

Roid wrote:
Please do not lump Talledega Nights, Kingpin, Caddyshack and Dodgeball with the likes of Beerfest and Hot Rod. Its a big insult to the former comedies I mentioned

I had a look, and don't see your review for either Beerfest nor Hot Rod -- don't tell me you're dissing those fine films sight unseen?! They are absolutely deserving of being spoken of with the rest of those hallowed members of the hall of fame of the faux-sports-underdog genre!!!

Positive* Jon wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

Considering his ratings, wouldn't it be fitting?

:hahaha:

Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:12 am
Commander and Chef

i agree with makeshift. hotrod cannot be paired up with dodgeball

very different films.

now i'm convinced bradley never watches these films

Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

bABA wrote:

very different films.

Hmmm... strangely enough, we don't see to have a review thread for Dodgeball, or I would have compared the A- you gave Hot Rod to your rating for that. Personally, I loved Dodgeball and perhaps can grant you some leeway for having more time to reflect on that film, compared to your very recent viewing of Hot Rod. For some, it takes a while for quality humor to soak in.

BTW, I doubt Makeshift agree with you on your statement: "i agree with makeshift. hotrod cannot be paired up with dodgeball", after his glowing review of Hot Rod above.

And finally, for those who have yet to enjoy the Hot Rod experience -- be sure to stay after the credits for the brief bonus scene...

Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:48 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

bABA wrote:

very different films.

Hmmm... strangely enough, we don't see to have a review thread for Dodgeball, or I would have compared the A- you gave Hot Rod to your rating for that. Personally, I loved Dodgeball and perhaps can grant you some leeway for having more time to reflect on that film, compared to your very recent viewing of Hot Rod. For some, it takes a while for quality humor to soak in.

BTW, I doubt Makeshift agree with you on your statement: "i agree with makeshift. hotrod cannot be paired up with dodgeball", after his glowing review of Hot Rod above.

And finally, for those who have yet to enjoy the Hot Rod experience -- be sure to stay after the credits for the brief bonus scene...

But there is a Dodgeball thread and you even have a review in it!

I'm a tad worried Bradley, were you hit on the head causing memory loss lately?

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:02 pm
Extraordinary

Gullimont wrote:

Not coming up on the new Search function -- can you provide a link? Thanx!

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:31 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Gullimont wrote:

Not coming up on the new Search function -- can you provide a link? Thanx!

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2256

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 pm

For future reference, use this link, bradley. http://worldofkj.com/Krem/movies.php

Also, can be found in one of the announcements here in this forum.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:50 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

bABA wrote:

very different films.

I think what bABA was saying is Hot Rod and Dodgeball are two very different types of comedy, and I agree with him.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:03 pm
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
I think what bABA was saying is Hot Rod and Dodgeball are two very different types of comedy, and I agree with him.

Don't see the big difference myself. Underdogs, slapstick, father-figures, goofy team members, oddball sports, "heartwarming" -- they're two peas from the same pod...

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:06 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:

Don't see the big difference myself. Underdogs, slapstick, father-figures, goofy team members, oddball sports, "heartwarming" -- they're two peas from the same pod...

They may share similar plot points, but the type of humor used in the two movies is completely different. Dodgeball has very straight-lined, "generic" humor (which isn't to say it's not funny) that is hinged entirely on its narrative, whereas Hot Rod is comprised almost entirely of anti-humor and non sequiturs.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:35 pm
Commander and Chef

i love both films so it seems bradley doesn't even read my reviews for hot rod : )

the reason why your credibility is now up in the air is because you're comparing 2 films with completely different humor together.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

makeshift wrote:
makeshift wrote:

They may share similar plot points, but the type of humor used in the two movies is completely different. Dodgeball has very straight-lined, "generic" humor (which isn't to say it's not funny) that is hinged entirely on its narrative, whereas Hot Rod is comprised almost entirely of anti-humor and non sequiturs.

...and your statement is comprised almost entirely of exaggeration -- I disagree with both parts of it -- Dodgeball had it's fair share of yer so-called anti-humor and non-sequiturs and Hot Rod was built upon a "straight-lined narrative" -- but, sheesh! Methinks a little too much film theory is cloudin' the fun centre of yours and bABA's brains... :roll:

Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:53 pm
Teenage Dream

makeshift wrote:
makeshift wrote:

...and your statement is comprised almost entirely of exaggeration -- I disagree with both parts of it -- Dodgeball had it's fair share of yer so-called anti-humor and non-sequiturs and Hot Rod was built upon a "straight-lined narrative" -- but, sheesh! Methinks a little too much film theory is cloudin' the fun centre of yours and bABA's brains... :roll:

Saying something had "its fair share" of something doesn't mean anything. In comparison to what exactly? My recollection tells me Dodgeball has a handful of moments comparable to the humor in Hot Rod, but there isn't a modern day comedy that doesn't, so that doesn't mean anything. And yes, Hot Rod has a narrative, but its humor exists almost entirely outside of it. The moments that really bring the funny -- Rod's "quiet" place, the crap-your-pants move, Taco vs. Grilled Cheese, Cool Beans, etc -- could exist without the narrative. Yes, the narrative brings us to these moments (and bABA touched on this in his review), and that is what makes Hot Rod the great comedy it is. It creates a world where the narrative brings you to the non sequiturs that comprise the movie. Most comedies that attempt this kind of humor fail completely in that regard.

Anyways, this is a silly argument. We both enjoyed the movies at the center of the discussion.

Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next