Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Meet the Robinsons 

What grade would you give this film?
A 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Meet the Robinsons 

Post Meet the Robinsons
Meet the Robinsons

Quote:
Meet the Robinsons is a 2007 American computer-animated family film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures on March 30, 2007. The forty-seventh animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics, the film was released in both the United States and the United Kingdom in standard and Disney Digital 3-D versions in the United States. Its standard version in the UK on March 30, 2007. The film is based on the book A Day with Wilbur Robinson, by William Joyce. The film originally had the same title as the book. The voice cast includes Jordan Fry, Harland Williams, Tom Kenny, Steve Anderson, Laurie Metcalf, Adam West, Tom Selleck & Angela Bassett. It was released on DVD-Video and Blu-ray on October 23, 2007.

Last edited by Nebs on Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
King Albert!

I saw this movie (in 3D). The 3D was great.

About the movie. The Storytelling was excellent (keep in mind, Lasseter executive produced it). Great character development and witty humor. A must see family movie.

Grade: A-

P.S. please see it in 3D if you can, because you get bonus features like a funny introduction by one of the characters from the movie about putting them on, and a bonus cartoon (Working for Peanuts with Donald Duck and Chip and Dale from 1953, fully restored and in 3D).

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

The film was fun and enjoyable, no where near Pixar or classic Disney-level, but not as incredibly flat as Chicken Little. I thought it had a nice message and bright characters, and even thought the villan worked very well(if only because he is more of a buffon than an actual villan). Good voice work. The visuals are incredible, up there with the top studios, I have to imagine this thing is splendid in 3-D. Overall, a fun, if a bit overhyper, animated toon. B-

Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:17 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Saw it in 3D tonight. Kudos to disney for successfully utilizing the 3D to create beautiful environments rather than constant, cheap 3D "in your face" moments. The 1953 Disney 3D short was incredible...I CANNOT believe they were able to make that 54 years ago.
Next, let me comment on the audience's stupidity. I was sitting next to a pair of twenty-somethings with their daughter, and they absolutely didn't get the whole "twist in the family situation," even when the movie told it to us, while my 10 year old sister figured it out less than halfway through the film. Ugh at dumb people.

Overall, much better and much more inspired than I expected.

B

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:44 pm
Extraordinary

Oh sure, it looks great, especially in the Disney 3D process, but it neglects to have a story until the last 10 minutes. Up till then it's just a big blur of ADD busy-ness (you'd think with seven writers, they mighta been able to put together a bit of a consistent storyline throughout the film).

What a shame... and this is from someone who loves time travel stories.

1 out of 5.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:14 pm
King Albert!

The 1953 Disney 3D short was incredible...I CANNOT believe they were able to make that 54 years ago.

Back then, how they did 3D was that they shot the movie with the camera multiple times (as in a multiplane), and projection all the angles in one reel, and the glasses put all the reels together, and give it the illusion of multiplane 3D. This was common for horror movies from the 50's.

Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

I liked it. It was certainly much better than Chicken Little at least. I agree with Bradley that it goes overboard on the "ADD busy-ness" at the start, and the only thing really keeping my interest for most of the film was "Bowler Hat Guy", who's easily one of the best and funniest Disney villains ever created. But by the end I was fully invested, and it turned out quite sweet.

I gather the director of this was chief story editor on The Emperor's New Groove, which explains its strong humour. Seriously, Bowler Hat Guy's a fucking god.

*while looking for clues on the roof as to where Lewis has gone*

"A ha! Look my dear, look what I've found - a stick!" *evil cackle* "Now what did you find?"

*robotic bowler hat beeps and whirs*

"Yes, yes I see... time travel residue next to DNA from Wilbur Robinson... that, plus my stick, must mean..." (strains to figure out what the clues must mean)

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:31 am
Cream of the Crop

Has anyone figured out some sort of use for the glasses we get to keep from these Digital 3d movies? I've got my pair of glasses from Nightmare, and they're just sitting here unused. What's the point of letting us keep them when we can't use them elsewhere?

Joy

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Vagina Qwertyuiop

You could re-use them for future digital DVD films.

In other news, more Bowler Hat Guy!

*in Inventco's boardroom after passing himself off as the 2 o Clock appointment - Mary Johnson*

Inventco Chairman: "Very well, um... Miss Johnson?"

Bowler Hat Guy: "Uh, it's Ms".

Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:27 pm
Site Owner

B

Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

OMG This was the most random, most hilarious movie i have ever seen!!! It is soo out there, I am giving it an A just for the craziness of it all. i was on the floor laughing most of it. i'll describe more later

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:36 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

the writers must have been high when they wrote this. it is some random bizzarre shit. hilarious though.
here are some of my favorite wtf moments:

-fat unclue joe going crazy after "seeing the toast" and not getting peanut butter
-the bizzare science fair judge with the caffeine (aka meth) addiction
-sleep deprived little boy with dark circles under his eyes and just plain crazy
-singing frogs
-the scene where we meet all of the robinsons had me on the floor.
-anything with the bowler hat guy, but specially when he had the little hat on the frog and wanted the frog to kidnap the kid. frog "i just don't think this plan was thought through very well. i have skinny arms."

i need to see it again to grab more but man, smoke up, and run out and see this.

Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:20 pm
Stanley Cup

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Very sweet, fun and entertaining - a movie that actually deserves to stand alongside some of the Disney classics. The story is incredibly heartwarming and the animation is absolutely phenomenal, especially in 3-D. A real treat.

A-

Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:25 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

I had the privelege of seeing this film twice this weekend.

On Friday, I saw it in non-3d form. The Disney short we had at the beginning was of Mickey, Goofy, and Donald building a boat; incredibly hilarious.

On Saturday, I saw it in Digital 3d form, and wow, what a great experience. I think it worked a lot better with the RealD than Nightmare Before Christmas did.

The Disney short we had this time around was the Working For Peanuts short... So, it said it was a stereoscopic film, which means it was 3d when it first came out, too, right? I thought it was brilliant. Kinda felt like watching an animated Viewmaster reel.

MTR itself was a brilliant film. Sure, some of the twists were predictable, but I did find that Bowler Hat Guy's involvement was only half-predictable, in that I at first predicted what actually turned out to be right, but I was unsure because of certain character reactions...

I do think that BHG is one of the funniest Disney villains ever. He reminded me of a mix of Jack Lemmon's character in The Great Race and Barnaby from Babes in Toyland.

I also really liked Goob. He was so adorable! That bit with the coffee was hilarious.

And speaking of Goob, I was kinda hoping for a little scene during or after the credits that might've shown us the "new" Goob, after all the time changes caught up (the last time we see the future, not everything had caught up yet because Lewis hadn't yet gone to wake up Goob). Maybe we'll get a little short film on the DVD that shows us the new Goob.

I really liked the Robinson family and kinda wish we could have spent more time with them. It did seem rather rushed, but the rushing kinda helped make it extra funny.

To be honest, I'd LOVE to see some sort of sequel to this movie.

Grade: A

Joy

Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Post Re: Meet the Robinsons
I thought it was great. I little all over the place in the middle of the movie but i really liked the message and the way it ended.

B+

Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:32 pm
He didn't look busy?!

A very surprisingly good film. Not up to Pixar standards - humor-wise or story-wise - but it managed to make me laugh much more than I expected and the story was a good one, although they didn't convey the fact that it was the near future very well (I honestly thought this was like 300 years in the future, so the ending surprised me obviously).

B+

Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Loved it. I knew I'd at least enjoy it, but it really surprised me. Character development is probably the biggest factor of why it surprised me. All the Robinsons (even if there wasn't much screen time devoted to them) were great. I also enjoyed the music.

A-

--Like Tina, I too wish there was some scene showing the grown up Goob.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sun May 04, 2008 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

I've only seen this once but boy was a joy. Such a fun story from Disney. Probably their best 3D animated feature that is not Pixar.

A-

Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B+

I was completely taken aback by this movie. Before watching it, I expected some okay-ish film in the vein of Madagascar or Open Season, but this was an exhilarating ride. Many here say that it's not on par with any work by Pixar, but not being a major Pixar fanboy, I beg to differ. I actually liked it more than some of Pixar's works.

Sure, its message is simple and I got all of the twists pretty early on in the film (though I still liked the direction they took with the twists), but the inventiveness and craziness of the whole film just stunned me. It isn't your run-of-the-mill cartoon, it's an energetic blast of pure adventure delivered by Disney. It's not top-notch and Disney has done better, but considering the recent non-Pixar output...it's quite a blast. I really liked the characters, the storyline and especially the humor. It might not have had the best storyline of all animated films I have seen recently, but it might very well be the funniest of them. As Snrub has said, the Bowler Hat Guy is an excellent villain in his own stupidity. The lines are all brilliant:

"Bowler Hat Guy: Now, my slave, seize the boy!
Bowler Hat Guy: What's going on? Why aren't you seizing the boy?
T-Rex: I have a big head and little arms. I'm just not sure how well this plan was thought through."

It's entertainment at its purest and I wish more family/kid flicks would follow this route. The way the future was presented was quite cool too, but the movie lives and dies with its great characters that make up for the plot's flaws.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

This is better as an adult than as a kid. It actually has a story unlike Chicken Little. The animation is a little dated compared to what Pixar did at a similar time, but the characters and plot are engaging here. Bowler Hat Guy is a hilarious villain. I think it would have been better as a 2D film, but other than that top notch..

Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:51 pm
The Kramer

Meet The Robinson's is such a visually interesting movie. There's always something zany happening on screen, even when the plot slows down for exposition. It reminded of Zootopia in that way, but the influence it wields is alot stronger when we look to other companies. Illumination has basically used the Robinson's template for every one of their films and Scoob's villains, Dick Dastardly and his army of drones, are almost exactly the same as Bowler Hat and the man who wears it. It doesn't feel like a Disney movie for most of it, more like a mid-2000s Dreamworks, but then wraps up with all the feelsy moments you'd expect, bringing the entire thing around to what I think is probably their best work of this decade (sorry Stitch!.) Sure, Lewis is a turd for most of the movie and the time travel mechanics are not at all consistent (the way he 'defeated' the hat was really lame), but failure isn't the end so say the Robinson's, and I'm so glad they kept moving forward.

A-, right on the border of an A but not quite.

Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:26 pm
Angels & Demons

Meet the Robinsons is a great family film with its iconic “Keep Moving Forward” motto. I love how the main characters Lewis (as the hero) and the Bowler Hat guy are just 2 faces of the same coin. The message hit me more when I grew up than when I was a kid. If things didn’t go for Lewis as it had, he might have been the bowler hat guy of the future. Each character from Meet the Robinsons is fun to watch onscreen and interesting. I would have loved to watch a series of just looking at their family antics. The time travel logic isn’t as polished but it does not lessen my enjoyment of the film.

Grade: A

Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]