Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Alien 3 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Alien 3 
College Boy Z

Post Alien 3
AlienĀ³

Quote:
Alien 3 (styled as AlienĀ³) is a 1992 science fiction horror film, the third installment in the Alien franchise, and the first film directed by David Fincher. It is preceded by Ridley Scott's Alien and James Cameron's Aliens.

The story has an escape pod from the Colonial Marine starship Sulaco in Aliens crash-landing on a refinery/prison planet, killing everyone aboard except Lieutenant Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver). Unknown to Ripley, an Alien egg was aboard the ship. It is born in the prison and begins a killing spree.

Alien 3 had a difficult production, with various screenwriters and directors getting involved in the project, and shooting even started without a finished script. The film was the big-budget debut of a young David Fincher, who was brought into the project very late in its development, after a proposed version written by Vincent Ward at the helm fell through. Fincher had little time to prepare, and the experience making the film proved agonizing for him, as he had to endure incessant creative interference from the studio and had to shoot the film without having a definite script. The added weight was also to create a film worthy of the work of the two revered directors that had gone before him, James Cameron and Ridley Scott. Upon completion, the studio dismantled and reworked it without Fincher's consent, including releasing a teaser trailer that suggested the film would take place on Earth.

The film was released to mixed reviews, and while not very successful at the United States box office, it earned over $100 million outside of North America.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:03 pm
George A. Romero

this movie is underrated and unfairly criticized. aside from some bad cgi at times, this movie is suspenseful and gory, as well as a heck of a lot of fun. it's no alien or aliens but it's still a well above average sci-fi movie.

Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:04 pm
Veteran

I hate this movie. Everything Ripley went through in Aliens was in vain in the first few minutes of this movie. The first two are so good in this series that it makes this even worse. My grade: D+.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:28 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

It is almost impossible to imagine, but despite this movie Dabvid Fincher is still my second-favorite director. He simply redeemed himself with Se7en and Fight Club.

I have nothing positive top say about this movie other than I feel deep hatred towards it and the fact that it is the third entry to what was one of the most brilliant sci-fi franchises before the arrival of this one. This movie seems like a bad copy of the first movie. Atoddr pretty much nailed it. This movie destroys the vision that the first two movies have created.

That aside, the action is lame and unrealistic. Putting two Aliens in that labyrinth-like tunnel system and then killing them off without weapons and....zzzz.... It is simply boring. Even Sigourney Weaver can't save this one. A disaster of grand proportions.

Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I watched the so-called "Assembly Cut", and I've never seen the theatrical version, so bear that in mind...

It starts off really well, with some great suspense built up, but it soon degenerates into a mindless action flick with some really bad effects. I don't know what happened between Aliens and this, but somehow the visual effects managed to get worse. Every scene of the alien running down the hallway looks terrible fake; somehow, though, the close-ups of the Alien look fine. I'd say this is the darkest of the Alien films - it's quite grim and much more like the first than the second. The first hour is quite good, the last hour is not. Everything just degenerates, from the story to the acting to the direction. I don't know what happened. The ending, while well-intentioned, is terribly executed. That said, it's not a terrible film, as the great beginning redeems it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:58 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

The incredibly troubled gestation period of this movie is well documented, so its really no surprise that the end result felt more like a stitched together mash of half formed ideas and concepts as opposed to a fully formed Fincher creation.

One can only imagine the film that would have occurred if the early promo released about 18 months before this opened actually came to fruition. Aliens on Earth is a tantilising What If? of cinema (forget the foul AvP).

The start itself is a horrific botch job rendering the whole struggle of the second film a moot point and the grim prison setting is far to murky and dank even by the standards of the old Nostromo.

The whole theme of redemption and penance is an interesting one but its under developed (early script drafts spoke of a monastery and monks and the finished movie kept snippets of this) and the idea of no weapons its infuriating, practically cutting the balls off where the film could go at points.

Its not a total disaster, the early sections which built up some tension are handled well and Weaver keeps Ripley's high iconic standard up but the degeneration of the whole thing after this is hard to stomach.

Watch Alien and Aliens and forget about this entry in the series......................as for Resurrection don't even think about it.

C-

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:46 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Well, originally a very dreb, major letdown of a film after two stellar installments. But the Producer's Cut makes the film actually pretty good in the end.

Newt and Hicks death were still completely pointless and most characters were wastes, but its much better with the Producers Cut.

Regular- D+
Producer's Cut- Solid B

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]