Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 

What grade would you give this film?
A 35%  35%  [ 9 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
C 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

College Boy Z

Post Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Quote:
Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is a 2002 American epic space opera film directed by George Lucas and written by Lucas and Jonathan Hales. It is the fifth film to be released in the Star Wars saga and the second in terms of the series' internal chronology.

The film is set 10 years after the events in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, when the galaxy is on the brink of civil war. Under the leadership of a renegade Jedi named Count Dooku, thousands of planetary systems threaten to secede from the Galactic Republic. When an assassination attempt is made on Senator Padmé Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, 20-year-old Jedi apprentice Anakin Skywalker is assigned to protect her, while his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi is assigned to investigate the assassination attempt. Soon, Anakin, Padmé, and Obi-Wan are drawn into the heart of the Separatist territories and the beginning of a new threat to the galaxy, the Clone Wars.

After the release of The Phantom Menace, which received mixed reviews from critics, Lucas completed the draft of Attack of the Clones in March 2000. The script went through further drafts, and Lucas hired Hales to finish writing the final draft of the script before principal photography began. Filming took place in Australia with additional locations in Spain, Italy and Tunisia, and lasted from June to September 2000. Released on May 16, 2002, Attack of the Clones was the first motion picture to be shot completely on a high definition digital 24-frame system. Like its predecessor, it garnered mixed reviews from critics, but was a financial success; however, it also became the first Star Wars film to be internationally out-grossed in its year of release. It received nominations at the 75th Academy Awards and at the 23rd Golden Raspberry Awards, of which it received the awards for Worst Screenplay and Worst Supporting Actor for Hayden Christensen, as well as nominations for Worst Picture and Worst Director for Lucas. A sequel, Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was released in 2005.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:20 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Much better than The Phantom Mence but still nothing compared to ROTJ or ANH.

Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Incredible Hulk

Acting was horrible and stilted, too much use and reliance on CGI.
The duel between Obi-wan and Dooku too short, and made Obi-wan llok like a chump.

Yoda shoulda wiped the floor with Dooku.

Story was better than TPM, but how did Yoda know to get the clones for his use?

overall B

Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

not the worst movie ever, but for a star wars movie it was a piece of shit - C-

Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:33 pm
Profile ICQ
---------

A greatly entertaining movie if you skip the acting. Though I spoiled the movie for me too much by watching the trailers 5 times, I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed this more than Return of the Jedi, actually. I greatly anticipate Episode III.

Grade: 89.4 , B+

Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:25 pm
Hot Fuss

Very mediocre. The acting was off, the story was meh, and the whole movie felt very underwhelming.

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:13 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

I actually found this worse than Phantom Menace. Poor acting (except McGregor) and too-digital special effects. Lame story also. You could tell it is the middle child of the prequels; Episode III should be much better.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:45 pm
Teh Mexican

it is much better that Episode I, but its still mediocre

B-

Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:39 am

Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:13 am
New Server, Same X

I might watch this again soon, for a second judgment. All I remember is HATING the love story part. This was the worst of the five.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:58 am
I'm Batman

Haven't seen it in awhile but much better than TPM but a helluva lot worse than ANH, ESB, or ROTJ.

Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:05 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Good movie,..Horrid acting...ROTS will kick this movies ass!!!

B+

Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

B+

It better be.

Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:57 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Amer wrote:

B+

It better be.

It will be!!! The trailer comes out Nov 4!!!

Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

I actually found this worse than Phantom Menace. Poor acting (except McGregor) and too-digital special effects. Lame story also. You could tell it is the middle child of the prequels; Episode III should be much better.

I just got done watching this and I completely agree. The acting and the story was weak, the action sequences were missing something... The ones at the end were good though. I did like Phantom Menace a little better. - B

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:16 am
College Boy Z

I liked it. I liked it even more than The Phantom Menace. Sure, it could use some improvement here and there, but I still enjoyed it a lot, and I can't wait until May 18th.

A-

Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:19 am
We had our time together

It's definately miles ahead of TPM. Very entertaining movie with forgettable performances or story. I just liked the action. :wink: B+

Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:44 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Whilst it was better than The Phantom Mencase it wasnt very good against other movies. These prequels really are turning out to be crap, its all CGI and no storyline. Looking back, TPM is sometimes better, because it had a believable bad guy, Darth Maul, whereas Christopher Lee's character was complete shite. The worst thing about the film was Yoda's battle at the end, fucking hilarious!!! I cant remember much from the film because im trying to forget it, same with TPM.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:59 am
Profile WWW
George A. Romero

a slight improvement on The Phantom Menace (which i loved anyways). The acting isn't great (but hey, the acting has NEVER been great in ANY of the star wars movies). But i don't watch these movies for the acting. Good effects, good action. Good story, it sets up Episode III very well..

A-

Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:20 pm
I just lost the game

Improvement over The Phantom Menace in almost all aspects. Added more to the story and left a great set up for Episode 3. Still some bad acting, but I again attirbute it to Lucas, not the actors themselves. Natalie Portman is better than that...!

B

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:56 pm
Veteran

A good setup second part of the new trilogy.

A

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I didn't think it was bad, I actually saw it twice in theaters, and I own it on DVD. I love Natalie Portman, she's so adorable.

8/10 (B+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Top Poster

B+ Very good. Superior to The Two Towers as the middle episode of a trilogy.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A-

much better than Ep. 1

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Mod Team Leader

This is the Star Wars we remember!, 16 May 2002

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

May be some spoilers:

When you are as excited to see a film as I was to see STAR WARS EPISODE II ATTACK OF THE CLONES, the result almost certainly never lives up to the hype. Nothing could be further from the truth in this fifth installment of the beloved saga. Episode II not only lives up to the hype, it far surpasses it. I wasn't really in my theater going years in 1977, but this is what it must have been like to experience Star Wars for the first time. There is enough intrigue, action, betrayal, ostentatious whispers, lightsabre duals, romance, Yoda, Jedi's and Darth-bad guys all rolled into one pallette of synthetic brilliance to please anyone. When I tell you that this film is the film that we have all been waiting for, you have no idea what you are in for until you actually see it for yourself. You may have read every advance article, seen every interview and downloaded every still off the net that you could and still, nothing can prepare you for the experience you will witness when you see AOTC. Take all that was innocent about the first, add all that was dark about Empire, mix in all that was summed in Jedi and multiply all that was beautifully choreographed in Menace and you will still not understand the scope of a film that Clones is and will be after the ninth or tenth time you see it. I may change my mind upon further viewings of the film but as it stands right now, this is the best Star Wars film that is out there. I am having trouble putting into words what I am feeling and what I have just witnessed. Clones did something to me that very few films have managed to do....it made me cheer and holler and applaud the film at it's conclusion. Attack of the Clones is the personification of entertainment. This is how movies were meant to be seen. As much as I liked Spiderman, Clones will toy with it the way Count Dooku toyed with Anakin in this film.

There is some even better news and that is that the film is not nearly as hokey and poorly acted as most sanctimonious critics will have you believe. What you have to understand is that this romance that develops between Anakin and Amidala is a romance that is blossoming between two teens. They are going through many of the same growing pains that we all went through and just because one is a politician and the other a Jedi, does not mean that they are supposed to be wise in the ways of love. I thought Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman were perfect in the film as forbidden lovers. They are in a perpetual quandary and no matter what they do, they seem to be displeasing someone. But they eventually can't resist their feelings for one another and ultimately their relationship bonds. It was important to give plenty of credence and attention to this plot point because this is what ultimately drives Anakin to the dark side. The first half of the film wisely lets the two young ones discover their love for one another. There are people that will say that these scenes are slow and tedious but they set up the rest of the film and Episode III. The first half also introduces us to some of the events that will create the cataclysms in the years to come. Here we get to meet Jango Fett, father of Boba. We also get to see the nascency of the Storm Trooper. We are also prone to the Senator who talks with both sides of his mouth. All of the wheels are set in motion for the last hour of the film which is what everyone is going to be talking about. And what that last hour taught all of us in the theater is one thing.

DON'T MESS WITH YODA!

Yoda shows us all why he is the definitive Jedi master who takes umbrage with anyone who dare challenge his abilities.

I'm sure by now most of you have heard of Yoda and Dooku's epic battle but to see it will do things to you that no movie can. Yoda proves to Dooku that he is just as pedantic in the ways of the force as he is and he goes on to show him that no one messes with the Jedi master. This is a lightsabre duel that will stay with you long after you have left the theater. To watch him strike a ninja pose and then draw his lightsabre and battle Dooku tooth and nail was like no adrenaline rush I have been privy to without the aid of drugs. I am that serious. My seritonin levels sky-rocketed and the natural high I received from watching the final battle was just too good to be true. Yoda is the baddest Jedi of them all and there is only one battle that is left to be fought in the Star Wars saga and that is the battle between Darth Sidous and Yoda. Episode III is going to be amazing and I can guarantee you many fans will be counting down the days with great anticipation.

Attack of the Clones has in some ways left me speechless. It has many similarities to Empire Strikes Back right down to the final shot of four of our heroes standing with their backs to us looking out a window pondering what will happen in the next segment of their lives. I think Lucas is a genius and every nuance he created in the previous film was done so because it had a bearing on the present one. Episode II is not just a movie, it is an experience. This is the film to see this summer.

10 out of 10.....I wish I could say more but I feel like I would be going around in circles. This is just a film that must be experienced.

I love this movie!!

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next