Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Chicago 

What grade would you give this film?
A 62%  62%  [ 16 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Chicago 
College Boy Z

Post Chicago
Chicago

Quote:
Chicago is a 2002 musical film adapted from the satirical stage musical of the same name, exploring the themes of celebrity, scandal, and corruption in Jazz age Chicago.

Directed and choreographed by Rob Marshall, and adapted for film by screenwriter Bill Condon, Chicago won six Academy Awards in 2003, including Best Picture. The film was the first musical to win Best Picture since Oliver! in 1969.

Chicago centers on Velma Kelly and Roxie Hart, two criminals-of-passion who find themselves awaiting their trials for murder in 1920s Chicago. Velma, a vaudevillian, and Roxie, a housewife with aspirations of having the same profession, fight for the fame that will keep them from the gallows. The film stars Renée Zellweger, Richard Gere, and Catherine Zeta-Jones also featuring Queen Latifah, John C. Reilly, Christine Baranski, Lucy Liu, Taye Diggs, Colm Feore, and Mýa Harrison.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:02 pm
Hot Fuss

Last edited by Maximus on Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Superman: The Movie

All the actors in the film are great, except it's not a well directed film at all.

C-

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

The worst movie I saw that year. One of the most overrated movies ever. Hated it. F

Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:10 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The movie wasn't bad at all. In fact, it's a great piece of entertainment and very well made. But... that's basically it besides great performances and outstanding musical numbers. Unlike Moulin Rouge!, it doesn't have the memorable story or characters. Still, it's a great film I can probaly rewatch many times. Zellweger and Zeta Jones are both fantastic.

- A-/B+

Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:55 am
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Loved it! Great, catchy musical numbers, and the cast is stellar. Special nods to Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta Jones.

A

Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

I thought the entire cast was great, except for Richard Gere. He should not be allowed to sing! The musical numbers were great, I just didn't care for the story. None of the characters had any redeeming qualities at all. I just didn't LIKE anyone in the movie. Still, great songs and musical numbers. I would grade it a B-.

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Extra on the Ordinary

One of the most fun movies of the decade so far. Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta-Jones are ohhhhh soooo goood.

It doesn't do anything to push the genre to new levels, unlike a tiny little wonderful film the year before it :wink: But as far as great entertainment goes, this is about as good as it gets.

A-

Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I can't believe I saw some D's and F's. :shock:

I guess I got the wrong impression. I thought this was a well-loved movie by most, but I guess it was a split.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:04 am
Extra on the Ordinary

I guess I got the wrong impression. I thought this was a well-loved movie by most, but I guess it was a split.

It's people who hate the success of the film, not the film itself and feel jealousy (?) towards it. Like Titanic. I don't see how you can give the movie an F. Even when you disliked it. It's insane.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:06 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Last edited by Riggs on Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:54 am
Profile WWW
Hot Fuss

Rod wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

It's people who hate the success of the film, not the film itself and feel jealousy (?) towards it. Like Titanic. I don't see how you can give the movie an F. Even when you disliked it. It's insane.

LOL Are you serious now? I don't liked the movie that's it. Asshole.

I know, right?

I thought it sucked ass. The '+' was because I liked the pretty costumes. :roll:

Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:56 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Speed Racer

Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I thought it was a well-done film and a lot of fun to watch, but I found neither the acting nor the film itself to be worthy of the praise they received. I'd give it a B.

This is the only misstep I've felt the Academy has made within the last few years.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:38 am
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

It was a fun film, definitely worth watching. I shat my pants when it was nominated for best pic. You don't want to know what happened when it won. The worst best pic winner ever.

Still, very catchy, very well-acted. Visually satisfying. I'd give it a B.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:22 pm
Lord of filth

It's people who hate the success of the film, not the film itself and feel jealousy (?) towards it.

When you are a Best Picture contender, and a Best Picture winner, people are going to see your movie outside of the genre boundries of its primary audience. It opens up the film to be viewed by everybody as "the best picture of the year" and I don't know of one person who thinks it is that. I know people who love Lord of the Rings, A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart, etc. but not Chicago.

Quote:
Like Titanic. I don't see how you can give the movie an F. Even when you disliked it. It's insane.

Well, I could just as easily say you are incredibly blind for giving such tripe as this an A. *shrug*.

Overall, it is an entertaining film the first time, but loses itself on repeated viewings. John C. Reiliey is my favorite part and yeah Latifah did earn her Oscar award nomination with a sultry performance.

There is some good cinematography and some of the set pieces are okay but overall the whole film is really empty and slows down significantly as it goes along. The final third of the film isn't very engaging and it has no rhythm.

It was a mistake, in my view, a grand mistake, to award this picture Best Picture, but that can't be undone.

Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:31 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A

:cool:

Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:13 pm
You must have big rats

I know, I seem to be in a minority, but I really liked the movie. It might not be the best, but it was certainly the most entertaining musical I have ever seen. The story is good with the great touch of sarcasm and display of twisted morals. The cast is superb. The interaction between Catherine Zeta-Jones and Renee Zellweger is great and so are the musical nmbers. I didn't like John C. Reilly's character in the movie and there were some weak spots in the movie's score, but overall, it was a worthy Best Picture contender (even though not a worthy winner).

Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fantastic!

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:01 pm
Profile YIM
Christian's #1 Fan

I have to say I was impressed, one of the most entertaining movies of the decade thus far. Stylized but stylish, catchy and addictive. Is it flawed? Hardly. The costume, the lighting, the technical aspects are amazing. The music is great and the acting is also excellent. Queen Latifah stole every scene she was in, and certainly deserved her Oscar nomination. Overall, 8.5/10 (A-)

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:43 pm
life begins now

It was okay for me, just nothing spectacular. It didn't deserve to win Best Picture over The Pianist or Gangs of New York, but it was alright. Catherine Zeta-Jones did deserve her Oscar, though, and it had great technicals.

Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:09 pm
Profile YIM
Mod Team Leader

Zingaling wrote:

F

I just simply can't understand how a movie like this could ever get nominated for let alone win an oscar for best picture. I think the world has gone mad when a film like this can be allowed to attain the reputation of greatness. What a sham.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:52 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:23 pm
We had our time together

Rod wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

F

I just simply can't understand how a movie like this could ever get nominated for let alone win an oscar for best picture. I think the world has gone mad when a film like this can be allowed to attain the reputation of greatness. What a sham.

yeah =D>

Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next