Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Equilibrium 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Equilibrium 
College Boy Z

Post Equilibrium
Equilibrium

Quote:
Equilibrium is a 2002 American science fiction action film written and directed by Kurt Wimmer. It stars Christian Bale as John Preston, a warrior-priest and enforcement officer in a future dystopia where both feelings and artistic expression are outlawed and citizens take daily injections of drugs to suppress their emotions. After accidentally missing a dose, Preston begins to experience emotions which make him question his own morality and moderate his actions, while attempting to remain undetected by the suspicious society in which he lives. Ultimately he aids a resistance movement using martial arts, which he was taught serving the very regime he is to help overthrow.

The film co-stars Taye Diggs, Angus MacFadyen, Sean Pertwee, Emily Watson, David Hemmings, and Sean Bean. While the film did not perform well at the box office upon its initial release, it has since gained a cult following.

Excellent action flick.

A-

Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:23 pm
All Star Poster

Best film of 2002

A++

Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 pm
Homo Dperious

One of the best Sci-Fi movies ever IMO. 7.9/10, A-

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:46 am
Profile ICQ
Jordan Mugen-Honda

An horrendously bland Matrix clone. To Much Grey for me and the Gun-Kata thing is idiotic.

D

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:28 am
Speed Racer

An intriguing concept that took the wrong direction and became an action flick.

Firewall B
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut C
Waking Life A+

Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:43 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

This excellent sci-fi actioner showcases the full potential of Kurt Wimmer and shows what might have become of Ultraviolet if it hadn't been taken out of Wimmer's hands and re-edited.

The movie is an unique blend of Fahrenheit 451, Gattaca and The Matrix. It's a dystopian future flick at its best. Christian Bale, while not in one of his best roles, is still excellent in this one. The action scenes are more exciting than in 90% of action movies that you see nowadays. The idea of gun kata is probably the most inventive and innovative kind of action I have seen in movies in recent years.

Certainly, the movie borrows a lot from other sources, but it doesn't really dimish the exciting effect it has on the viewer. The ideas behind it are well thought-out and executed, even though it is a bit predictable. The final action scenes with Preston taking on the other Clerics is too awesome to put in words. Despite operating with a lower budget than on Ultraviolet, Wimmer created really great action scenes, without going too much over the top.

Great sci-fi flick and a great action movie in one!

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:15 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A

One of the greatest of its kind, outsting watch Bale is the man he almost did better in this film that BB.

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
I just lost the game

Maybe it was overhyped, but this didn't do it for me as it did for others. I still enjoyed it thoroughly. The action (as little as there was) was very high-quality. The writing and direction was almost awe-inspiring.The music was top-notch. It had a heavy and clear message that I tink everybody should listen to. Perhaps it was just set-up differently than I expected. It felt too short and too long at the same time. There's a certain X factor I can't quite put my finger on, and if anybody else can, please chip in.

I give the film an A. Definitely recommended for any fan of sci-fi, action, drama, movies, or anything.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:49 am
loyalfromlondon

Sure, this film is incredibly derivative. Sure, it borrows from every dystopian work since Brave New World and 1984. Sure, it rips off The Matrix and every other kung fu/cybergeek flick like it. But it's still a pretty great film. It's got some interesting ideas and some original concepts, and the world it creates is pretty realistic (though sorta unimaginative), and it never feels cheszy or campy in any way. Bale is great in this film, as to be expected, and there's a pretty good mix of character actors surrounding him. The action scenes are quite thrilling and the gun kata thing is pretty cool - if rather geeky - and it's directed with suitable skill. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a sci-fi action flick, and it excels at that.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue May 15, 2007 5:45 pm
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Equilibrium
I watched this for a third time a few days ago and still enjoyed it a lot. It's great in a way, and while it does still hold up, it's undeniable that the film didn't have a high budget and it's noticeably reaching a bit too high with the concept at hand. But it's got Christian Bale and he's great, some very slick action scenes and a great score which make it very easy to enjoy despite it's budgetary shortcomings.

B+

Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]