Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Screen Counts and Crowd Reports for May 19 - 21 
College Boy Z

Oh, so first I deal with personal attacks regarding Brokeback, and now when I speak MY mind about the box office, I'm a troll????

Well, I'm sorry then. But IMO, the box office is really having a hard time, with so much competetion from DVD's, bad movies, other things to do, etc, that I've finally come to the realization that the end is near for the industry. I DO think some theatres are going to close, and I DO think DVC is going to drop on Saturday.

How am I a troll for discussing my thoughts about the box office on a box office forum?

Perhaps if you don't post "OMG THEATERS ARE CLOSING DOWN - THE DA VINCI CODE SUCKS - OMG ITS GONNA DROP LIKE GIGLI - OMG OMG OMG" in every TDVC related thread, people will not think that?

Fri May 19, 2006 5:41 pm
Extraordinary

People at HSX seem to really like our insightfulness :tongue: http://talk.hsx.com/films/post.htm?0519 ... FabioParme Glad to hear they like to check out this site for info, since we also like to get info from their forum. Especially ofcourse Notfabio.

Nice place. Weird to navigate. I'm not even sure if I was doing it right. One post per page per selection?
Could you ask them what they think of the reviews and stuff too? It would be nice to get some critical feedback from people we know less virtually personally. Might help us tweak our works or know who appeals to whom, etc.

Fri May 19, 2006 5:41 pm
Sbil

Da Vinci has just as many sellouts as I can remember for the last Harry Potter movie...

Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm
The Dark Knight

SFERIC wrote:
Oh, so first I deal with personal attacks regarding Brokeback, and now when I speak MY mind about the box office, I'm a troll????

Well, I'm sorry then. But IMO, the box office is really having a hard time, with so much competetion from DVD's, bad movies, other things to do, etc, that I've finally come to the realization that the end is near for the industry. I DO think some theatres are going to close, and I DO think DVC is going to drop on Saturday.

How am I a troll for discussing my thoughts about the box office on a box office forum?

Perhaps if you don't post "OMG THEATERS ARE CLOSING DOWN - THE DA VINCI CODE SUCKS - OMG ITS GONNA DROP LIKE GIGLI - OMG OMG OMG" in every TDVC related thread, people will not think that?

I never said OMG or DA VINCI CODE SUCKS.

It seems you have something out for me though.... :unsure:

Fri May 19, 2006 5:43 pm
College Boy Z

I have nothing against you, but the point is, the constant "theaters are closing down" nonsense is stupid, and the fact that you posted the "Da Vinci Code will drop like Gigli" post in four different threads is kind of obsessive.

Fri May 19, 2006 5:46 pm
Extraordinary

Meh. I don't think theatres will close, but I do think budgets will get a bit tighter on the producing end of movies, and the theatre needs to rethink how they are goin gto make going to the movies an "experience" rather than just being for the movie's sake (in which case DVD could rival).

Either that or theatres will be like flagship stores. They won't really be expected to make money, but rather to generate interest in the newest movies for consumption everywhere else.

Fri May 19, 2006 5:47 pm
The Dark Knight

I have nothing against you, but the point is, the constant "theaters are closing down" nonsense is stupid, and the fact that you posted the "Da Vinci Code will drop like Gigli" post in four different threads is kind of obsessive.

I did not post that 'theatres were closing down in three threads'. but I did post my thoughts on a similar Gigli-like drop on three threads because there are three or more different threads discussing the topic of DVC's box office performance this weekend.

It's my experience that some threads are read and others are not. I guess that's not the case here, and it's not necessary to cross post. Please accept my apology.

Eric

Fri May 19, 2006 5:50 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Zingaling wrote:

I did not post that 'theatres were closing down in three threads'. but I did post my thoughts on a similar Gigli-like drop on three threads because there are three or more different threads discussing the topic of DVC's box office performance this weekend.

It's my experience that some threads are read and others are not. I guess that's not the case here, and it's not necessary to cross post. Please accept my apology.

Eric

if only every movie had ONE prediction thread.... :sad:

Fri May 19, 2006 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Loews Lincoln PLaza, all 6 shows have sold out for today, except for the seventh last one at 11.45. Seeing as how the 6.15 one is about to start, I give the 11.45 showing only a half hour before it probably sells out too. After that, I'm pretty sure by the end of the night we'll see the prime viewing times around 7 pm sold out for tomorrow already.

Fri May 19, 2006 5:55 pm
The French Dutch Boy

I definately wouldn't be surprised with the comments saying that Hedge is not looking good for over $40 million. Tracking (MTC) only had the film at a $40 million weekend right on, and Wsex lines had it at $32.5 million. I was surprised, with this info, that people were going $50+ million on this film. But tracking isn't always necessarily right, so I can understand. I'm just glad I went low ($42.6 mil), relative to most people here.

PEACE, Mike.

Fri May 19, 2006 6:00 pm
Extraordinary

Fri May 19, 2006 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Begging Naked

Why didn't I stick with my gut and predict $43M?!

Fri May 19, 2006 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

DVC has a hell of a lot of screenings at the two cinemas in my town. The showing i was at was as good as sold out (arrived late so i had to settle for the 2nd row), as was the showing in the adjacent room.

As for the movie itself, critics are overreacting, it wasn't that bad. Yeah, it draged a bit, some performances fell flat (however, interestingly, it wasn't Hank's underacting that cought my eyes but McKellen's occasional overacting), but following the story, the charecters how they unrevel these mysteries, all that secret society and history stuff and all, was quite intriguing (i have quite a soft spot for such things). It's not that much repeat-viewing friendly though, once you know the story (haven't read the book myself) you don't feel the need to see the movie again (at least for a while), because the story is the movie, that's what makes it (not some great performances or scenes in particular or whatever).

Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 pm
Extraordinary

AliasDarren wrote:
My theatre report: Over the Hedge performance is right in line with a $10m Friday. Da Vinci - I'd say $30m. It was definitely the biggest Friday performance since Star Wars: Ep. 3.

People kept asking me "Is Da Vinci Code as bad as the reviews say it is?" People are aware it's getting panned, but they are seeing it anyway.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri May 19, 2006 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
Teenage Dream

Saw See No Evil at 2:50. Me, a friend, and three other people. Big time bomb.

They had a news crew outside the theater for Da Vinci though, asking people what they thought. Everyone in line ahead of me was buying tickets for later tonight. The last time a news crew was at the theater was for ROTS.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:04 pm
Extraordinary

AMC Mercado sold out the 11:15pm show and just added another one. Van Ness 14 in San Francisco sold out 3 of the 5 night shows, and Bay Street 16 in Oakland sold out 3 of the 10 night shows so far.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Last edited by xiayun on Fri May 19, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

From OscarWatch forum:

AliasDarren wrote:
My theatre report: Over the Hedge performance is right in line with a $10m Friday. Da Vinci - I'd say $30m. It was definitely the biggest Friday performance since Star Wars: Ep. 3.

People kept asking me "Is Da Vinci Code as bad as the reviews say it is?" People are aware it's getting panned, but they are seeing it anyway.

Well that would be third though didn't GOF make 40 some million on friday?

Fri May 19, 2006 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

xiayun wrote:
From OscarWatch forum:

AliasDarren wrote:

I think he is referring to his own theater in comparison. GOF also had midnight showings.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Fri May 19, 2006 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
xiayun wrote:
From OscarWatch forum:

AliasDarren wrote:

I think he is referring to his own theater in comparison. GOF also had midnight showings.

True that inflated.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Caught the 1:15 in Lincoln, NE of Da Vinci. It was sold-out.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 pm
You must have big rats

1,055 tickets already sold for Saturday (showing on 4 screens)

On par with Harry Potter 4, ahead of ROTS and The Matrix Reloaded.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You're in Lincoln? I'd point out that the Lincoln Grand is the only decent theater in the city, so it had the highest probability of selling out.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:26 pm
No Wire Tampons!

Da Vinci sold out 5.30,7.8 and 9 here

its already nearly sold out 5.30 saturday here
and its sold out 7,8 and 9 saturday here. Daytime sales for saturday are of course MUCH larger than fridays and basically, Saturday is already bigger than friday in presales. Saturday could sell out several daytime bookings, wheras friday sold out none.

Sundays presales are also impressive, with many showings selling more than half the tickets.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon wrote:

You're in Lincoln? I'd point out that the Lincoln Grand is the only decent theater in the city, so it had the highest probability of selling out.

Technically I'm in Omaha, I had to head west to Lincoln for a meeting. Omaha is... interesting.

Fri May 19, 2006 8:30 pm
Extraordinary

Quote:
DVINC theater report S. Jersey
-- cactusdan, May 19, 20:26
4:30 showing 50% full. Trailers: World Trade Center, Miami Vice, Omen 666. Snacks soda popcorn. Movie was very good. Close to the book to my surprise. Overall a nice day out. I'd buy the dvd. when leaving i asked the manager about hedge...he said the 7 oclock was about 50%. But the 6:45 7:00 7:15 for DVINC were sell outs. Parking lot was packed.should be good for longers!!

50% full at 7pm doesn't bode well for Hedge.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-

Fri May 19, 2006 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next