Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Escape from New York 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Escape from New York 
College Boy Z

Post Escape from New York
Escape from New York

Quote:
Escape from New York is a 1981 American science fiction action film directed and scored by John Carpenter. He also co-wrote the screenplay with Nick Castle. The film is set in the near future in a crime-ridden United States that has converted Manhattan Island in New York City into a maximum security prison. Ex-soldier and legendary fugitive "Snake" Plissken (Kurt Russell) is given 24 hours to find the President of the United States, who has been captured by inmates after Air Force One crashed on the island.

Carpenter originally wrote the film in the mid-1970s as a reaction to the Watergate scandal, but no studio wanted to make it because Carpenter proved unable to articulate just how this film could relate to the Watergate scandal. After the success of Halloween, he had enough influence to get the film made and shot most of it in St. Louis, Missouri, where significant portions of the city were used in place of New York City.

The film's total budget was estimated to be US$6 million. It was a commercial hit, grossing over $50 million worldwide. It has since developed its own cult following, particularly around the anti-hero Plissken. A sequel, Escape from L.A., was released in 1996.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:50 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: Escape from New York
Zingaling wrote:
Discuss...

This movie is an absolute CLASSIC both yesterday and today and stil holds up well for late night viewing and Adrienne Barbeau's large breasts and "The Duke" of New York played by the late Isaac Hayes and Donald Plescence(also R.I.P) Playing the President.. The premise is simple: The President's shuttle crashes in New York in the year 1997(Ahhh, the irony) which is now a Maximum Security Prison run by the inmates.. The President has Top Secret Infomation attached to him in the form of a brief case with the info inside shackled to his wrist.. In order to get the President out, they enlist Snake Plissken played by the Awesome Kurt Russell and flawlessly I might add.. It's a Very good, dark movie that receives the highest grade possible, an "A+".. Also a little trivia on this movie has it that some of this movie was filmed in my hometown of St.Louis and East St.Louis back in the 70's and I remember as a kid, seeing Casting calls for extras to play in this movie by crawling out of the sewers and running down the street throwing shi* at the car like in the movie..

Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:17 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I agree completely with what BKB said, not many actors have that many famous roles, but Kurt Russel was one of the best character actors of hit time who finally hit mainstream and was still great to watch. Solid A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:09 am
Extraordinary

It's a little slow and feels like it's treading water at times, but Snake Plissken is badass.

Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:43 pm
Superman: The Movie

Escape from New York is one of the most inventive movies I have ever seen. Besides the plot, the film excels in it's set design. It's kind of creepy to look at after 9/11, especially during the World Trade Center sequences, but it kind of makes the film that much better. Also, Kurt Russell was born to play Snake Plissken. He's just a complete badass in the film.

A

BKB the Man wrote:
This movie is an absolute CLASSIC both yesterday and today and stil holds up well for late night viewing and Adrienne Barbeau's large breasts and "The Duke" of New York played by the late Isaac Hayes and Donald Plescence(also R.I.P)

Isaac Hayes isn't dead yet.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:10 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Snaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I love John Carpenter and his love for campiness. This reminds me so much of The Warriors with all the cliques and apocalypic city setting. This was one of Kurt Rusell's best character

B

8.2/10

Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:14 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Escape from New York is one of the most inventive movies I have ever seen. Besides the plot, the film excels in it's set design. It's kind of creepy to look at after 9/11, especially during the World Trade Center sequences, but it kind of makes the film that much better. Also, Kurt Russell was born to play Snake Plissken. He's just a complete badass in the film.

A

BKB the Man wrote:
This movie is an absolute CLASSIC both yesterday and today and stil holds up well for late night viewing and Adrienne Barbeau's large breasts and "The Duke" of New York played by the late Isaac Hayes and Donald Plescence(also R.I.P)

Isaac Hayes isn't dead yet.

He said Donald Pleasance, but I if you want to get technical, the movie takes place in 1997, so the towers should still be there. Though there was no apocolypse so I guess were even. ;)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:29 pm
loyalfromlondon

Very, very cheesy and campy, which really doesn't work for me in action flicks. Kurt Russell delivers an iconic performance, and the idea is very cool, but something gets lost in the translation and the final result is rather disappointing. It's quite short, and not a whole lot of note happens; most of the characters are only barely introduced, and so I felt no attachment to any of them, whether positive or negative. The production design is cool but obviously hampered by the budget, and the action scenes are kinda lame. The supporting cast looks good on paper but don't really add a whole lot, as this is clearly Russell's show. Still, it's classic in it's own way and has some interesting ideas, but is very dated and quite flawed. I'll actually be interested in seeing what the remake can do with it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:44 pm
now we know

Post Re: Escape from New York
Despite watching Escape from LA when I was younger, I've never watched this one (and I don't remember Escape from LA too well either although I remember thinking it was silly - I preferred and prefer my action more serious), so I'm downloading this one now and then the sequel after. I love Kurt Russell, so I'm hoping for some good films.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]