Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Capote 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
B 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 28

Capote 
Extraordinary

Post Capote
Capote

Quote:
Capote is a 2005 biographical film about Truman Capote, following the events during the writing of Capote's non-fiction book In Cold Blood. Philip Seymour Hoffman won several awards, including the Academy Award for Best Actor, for his critically acclaimed portrayal of the title role. The movie was based on Gerald Clarke's biography Capote. The movie was filmed mostly in Manitoba in the autumn of 2004. It was released September 30, 2005, to coincide with Truman Capote's 81st birthday.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:58 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I loved this movie, but probably only for the reason that I am currently reading In Cold Blood. I found the film really fascinating the way Capote acted in front of his peers, and the behind the scenes stuff regarding the book, especially with his interviews with Perry. You could tell just from reading the book that Capote was completely fascinated or in love with Perry. Not the man himself, but his mystique. The book hints at it, the movie confirms it.

I'd pretty much say that Philip Seymour Hoffman is a lock for the Best Actor Oscar, unless Phoenix can blow everyone away with his performance as Johnny Cash. That'll probably happen. It'll be a two man race between them.

A+ (Second best film of 2005)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

The film itself is pretty good. I rated it an A in here although it might border around the B+/A- territory.

What's reall A worthy is Hoffman's performance, especially in the last act.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:28 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

This was a less emotional "Dead Man Walking" It's a weird movie to "like" because of the subject matter and the weirdness of capote himself.

PSH was definitely terrific. But I do have to say that while it is superb acting, it still IS acting and I never really separated actor from character while watching the movie.

Keener (sp??) was great too but she didn't have that one important supporting actress scene that I think she needed. So I think a nomination is as best as she will do.

Overall, a good movie mostly driven by Hoffman's performance. Other than that, not really a must-see.

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:46 am
life begins now

A good, but under whelming movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is outstanding, and Catherine Keener is good, but she doesn't deserve the praise she is receiving. Hoffman, though, deserves it all and more.

B+

Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:25 pm
Profile YIM
htm

Wow. I was very, very impressed with Hoffman. Hand him the trophy. Now.

Above average story enhanced by a great performance. It makes me want to go pick up a copy of "ICB"

A-.

Last edited by zennier on Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:19 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Can someone here rationalize to me why there is no controversy over Catherine Keener's nomination for best supporting actress, because in my opinion that is one of the worst nominations in Academy Awards history. Her character hardly even registers in this movie, she doesn't even differ in facial expression and has zero scenes that develop anything about her. It's pretty sickening to think of the performances that were snubbed in favour of this horrendous nomination.

Capote itself was a decent film. I thought there was a fascinating mid-section in there, sandwiched between a meandering beginning and end. Truman Capote, by the nature of his mannerisms and speech, is quite a tough nut to crack, but as the film goes along the layers are peeled away and we get a window into his obsession. Hoffman is excellent and pulls off all the eccentricities without it ever seeming over-the-top. Technicals were all quite nice, but I think Miller is undeserving of his director nomination. The movie is plainly shot without an ounce of ingenuity or passion and has real pacing issues that made it seem more like two hours passed in the theatre, rather than actual 98 minute run-time. Now having seen all the nominated pictures I must say that Capote is the only one I think is undeserving.

But seriously, Catherine Keener ? Fucking weak. Fucking VERY weak.

C+

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Kypade

I can agree it has some pacing issues, and it suffers a little from crap editing...

But otherwise, I think it's fantastic.

I think all the acting was great. Every actor took their part and turned their character into some of the most interesting, real characters of the year. The scene with Capote, Harper and Jack (or what ever his name) around the table, outside in Spain? I don't know much of anything about these people in real life, but if you had told me that scene was actual footage from the 60s, I'd probably have boughten it. Really, I looved the acting.

The story was fascinating...again, I didn't really know the history going in (in very much depth, anyway), but I was surprised by how interesting the film was. It ranges from funny, to maddening, to sad.

It's really hard to comment on this movie without going back to the acting. The whole film pretty much rests on the shoulders of PSH. So I'll just leave it at that.

Incredibly engaging and emotionally involving; beautifully filmed (cinematography snub?), written, and most of all, acted; could use better editing for pacing and flow.

B+/A- give or take. (Depending on how it holds up, that could probably shift to solid A range).

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:45 am
Pure Phase

Philip Seymour Hoffman shines in director Bennett Miller's very compelling crime drama. A-.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:24 am
Devil's Advocate

Truly haunting and mesmorizing. Not only are the performances fantastic as expected, but the rest of the film also holds up extremely well. The interaction with Perry, all the supporting characters like Jack, Truman's descent into loneliness, the murder scenes, all of it. I thought the entire thing was brilliant.

I think I have to let this sink in for a while, it was truly just...wow. It hit me harder than what I ever expected it would. One of the best films for 2005 for sure, if not the best.

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:03 am
New Server, Same X

This compelling film is compelling because of Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman never acts as Truman Capote. Hoffman is Truman Capote. He has the Oscar in the bag tomorrow night, easily beating out my previous favorite, Joaquin Phoenix. Hoffman is flawless in his role, and elevates this film like no other has in 2005. The film itself is neither the best film of 2005, nor a great film from 2005. It's Hoffman's movie, and his alone. The film is not Best Picture material, but Hoffman is clearly the Best Actor of the year.

My largest disappointment in the film is Catherine Keener. I realize the Supporting characters can't truly overshadow the leads (in the cases where the leads are also nominated for Oscars), but that doesn't mean that Keener shouldn't be more than she is in the movie. I can't really understand how she got an Oscar nomination for playing Harper Lee, but perhaps her character simply stands in the shadows of Capote and thus I cannot possibly look at her the same way. Whatever the case may be, she disappointed me greatly.

The movie is good, but Hoffman is exceptional. Incredible. Outstanding.

Grade: A-

Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:51 pm
We had our time together

I definately agree about Keener. Why she's gotten a oscar nom for absolutely nothing is beyond me. Hoffman on the other side deserved all praise he's gotten. The movie itself was surprisingly uninteresting beside Hoffmans performance. B-

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I think the film's restraint is its strongpoint; it's easily this year's quietest Best Picture nominee and the quietest I can remember in recent memory.

I can see why some might find the film's central plotline a little lacking. I couldn't have seen myself being as involved in the film if I hadn't read In Cold Blood or knew a little about Capote himself. And in fact, I think this is the only place where the film faulters: We're led to believe that Capote developed this strong connection with Perry, maybe even fell in love with him over the course of his studies, but we never see that. We see that it takes a toll on him, but we never see what draws him to Perry other than the fact that their childhoods were rather similar ("I went out the front door and he went out the back").

Other than that, though, I thought it was beautiful and haunting. Very minimalistic. And I also think the quote they give in the last frame of the film is asolutely perfect.

A-

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:04 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I was really reminded of watching like year's Ray when I saw this film because essentially, just like Ray, Capote is nothing more than a merely okay-ish film with a mesmerizing lead performance. Philip Seymour Hoffman really delivered on all accounts and while I still prefered Ledger's performance, I can say that Hoffman was a close second and I am content with his win. He captures the persona of Truman Capote, but it is not a mere imitation. Moreso, he does fill his character with feelings and emotions which show mostly towards the end of the film. Clifton Collins Jr. also delivered a very fine and underrated performance as the surprisingly intelligent killer Perry Smith.

It was Catherine Keener who definitely let me down. I can't believe she was actually nominated for this bland role. She was actually better in The 40-Year-Old Virgin. Overall, the Best Sup. Actress line-up was rather weak this year with Keener and McDormand not even deserving their nominations in particular.

Other than that, Capote was just okay. The storyline moved quietly and steadily and the movie always depends on Hoffman and his great performance. The camera work is great, the pace of the film is off at times and it never becomes engaging at any point. I don't think Capote deserved a Best Picture nomination by any means, there were so many better films released last year. Definitely the weakest Best Picture contender of 2005 that I have seen (with GNGL the only one being left to be seen by me).

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:08 am
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

Finally saw this last week. I wasn't completely overwhelmed. It was good, but it felt a little staid to me. I'm afraid it had a lot to live up to as a Best Picture Nominee and I'm still a little puzzled over its nomination in Director/Picture. It's the first Best Picture nominee since the 1990s that I didn't see before the Oscar telecast.

It definately was overflowing with soliloquies and speeches by the main character. I wasn't even completely overwhelmed by the performance. At the end of the day, I think that Ledger probably should have won, but I *like* Hoffman as a human being so I have nothing against his nomination and win.

Lecter said that he thought the guy who played one of the killers was good, and I would agree. I also thought Chris Cooper was good. Keener is good for the screen time she has but I don't really even think she's in it enough. Her nomination here is a bit baffling... she's not bad, and she's an incredible actress, but eh.

The story lacked a little in the characterization dept. I never felt like I understood Capote's motivations from moment to moment, it was just like a ping-pong, so I felt a little disconnected from the story. I felt the director pushing us in directions that Hoffman seemed to push against. Maybe that was the point. I get the feeling like there is some sort of relationship between the Perry and Capote but it may be a bit controversial or implied and in order for the director not to give to much weight to unfounded assumptions that the film backed off a bit. I don't know. Maybe that's the point. In all honesty, I don't know a lot about Capote as a man, so maybe this is my failing.

I enjoyed the first half of the film more than the second half.

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:52 am
Profile WWW
Some days I'm a super bitch

I liked Keener's performance actually. I thought it was a very mature and refined interpretation of Harper Lee. Maybe not Oscar-worthy I agree, but she deserved her nomination.

The film itself is haunting. It flows nicely and we get to really feel the community and the ideologies of the time. Hoffman nails Capote's manerisms, but more importantly, his selfishness and obsession.

A-

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

“Capote” is an interesting movie but not a great one. Philip Seymour Hoffman might have done a respectable job at imitating Truman Capote but I wasn't in love with his performance and it isn't one of my favorites of the year. With Heath Ledger in “Brokeback Mountain” I felt there was so much lingering beneath the surface and his performance will stay with me for a long time to come. But Hoffman's won't take long for me to forget. Truman Capote was also an annoying human being who was in love with himself and didn't seem to really care about anyone other than him, including his partner/companion Jack (Bruce Greenwood) or his best friend and confidante Harper Lee (Catherine Keener). They all seem like they're just there as an accessory to compliment him and not actually as equals. He’s always so consumed with himself and doesn’t appear to care much about their feelings. It’s like they’re there to be supportive of him but he can’t be bothered to be truly supportive of them. And then at the parties he always had to be the center of attention. I found it extremely difficult to give one ounce about him. At most I guess I would say I admire Hoffman’s performance, but I just don’t have it in me to love it. It really was nothing special to me.

The wonderful Catherine Keener isn’t given too much to do as her character is just there to shadow Capote. I don’t mind that she got a supporting actress nomination for her role though, but I feel it’s more because the Academy felt they owed her for all of her overlooked performances in the past than that they were actually amazed by this particular performance. She certainly has given much better, more award-worthy performances. I won’t deny that I did really like her as Harper Lee though and when she was on screen she offered up a certain presence that held my interest.

I was hoping this wouldn’t be the case, but I must say I find “Capote” and Hoffman’s performance to be overrated. He really didn’t blow me away and his performance felt so empty and more like showy acting than a natural performance. It didn’t feel real. It doesn’t help that Truman Capote must have been one of the most aggravating people ever (even if he was a talented writer), but Hoffman’s performance still just felt truly lifeless to me.

“Capote” is worth a look but in my opinion, nothing more than that.

Grade: 7/10 (B-)

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 pm
College Boy Z

Other than Hoffman's performance, I wasn't impressed.

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:38 pm
Extraordinary

Just watched the movie again last week, and it held up better the second time. Originally, I still thought there is some acting in Hoffman's performance, but after learning more about Capote himself and seeing the footage of him talking, I'm speechless on how Hoffman captured the entire person: his manner, voice, laugh, etc. The film remains a littl slow for my taste, and there are certain parts that aren't well developed, but it's now a solid B in my book. It's incredible that last year produced three of the best male performances I've seen this decade, kind of reminding me how 1994 has three of my top 10 films for 1990's.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:09 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Other than Hoffman's performance, I wasn't impressed.

This was pretty much my reaction. I haven't seen any footage of the actual Capote, so I'll just assume that Hoffman's performance is spot on. That voice really got on my nerves, though.

The rest of the film really never got me involved though. I was never as interested in the killers as Capote was, and the interaction between Perry and Capote became overtly redundant. The story moves at a snail's pace and never really goes anywhere. The cinematography is impressive, and there are some nice shots, but it fails to make the movie any more interesting. It is really a good performance in the lead role, though not an appealing one, as it seems Capote was a real asshole and incredibly selfish. I'd barely recommend it, if only to watch Hoffman's deserved Oscar-winning role.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Last edited by trixster on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:16 pm
All Star Poster

a pretty slow film, but it manages to keep your attention the whole time, thanks to Hoffman. His performace Is flat out spectaular, totally amazing, and one of the best I've seen this Decade

Without Hoffman this film would have been pretty average

B+

Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:48 am
Extraordinary

Technically, a very good film, but it's horribly boring.
And Hoffman's performance confuses me. He acts the character unbelievable well, and deserved the Oscar, but still, it feels something is missing, maybe that he plays Truman Capote well as a character, but ignores him as a person.

B-

Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:47 am
Extraordinary

Great story, lousy direction, mediocre movie...

Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:41 am
Pure Phase

I find it strange Bennett Miller was nominated for Best Director for Capote. Beyond directing the phenomenal PSH performance, I don't see much notable about his directorial effort. Syriana's Stephen Gaghan would've been a much more appropriate nominee for his wrenching, fascinating depiction of a globe-spanning, complex story.

Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:28 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Capote
There isn't much of a compelling story here, it just kind of goes along for the ride. PSH though really is great and I did enjoy Collins' acting as well.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]