Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Grandma's Boy 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
B 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
C 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16

Grandma's Boy 
Sbil

Post Grandma's Boy
Grandma's Boy

Quote:
Grandma's Boy is a 2006 American comedy stoner film produced by Adam Sandler's production company Happy Madison. The film stars Allen Covert, who also co-wrote and co-produced the film, as well as Linda Cardellini.

Co-stars include Nick Swardson, Shirley Jones, Joel Moore, and Shirley Knight, in addition to Sandler-film regulars Peter Dante, Jonathan Loughran, and Kevin Nealon. The film also features Jonah Hill in one of his first supporting roles. Doris Roberts stars as "Grandma Lilly." Rob Schneider, David Spade, and professional wrestler Kevin Nash have cameo appearances.

Last edited by Libs on Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:12 pm
Commander and Chef

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:30 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I like everyone involved with the film. I like Allen Cover, Doris Roberts, Shirley Jones, and Adam Sandler. I even like Rob Schneider and David Spade who make cameos. But this film is an absolute piece of shit. The film does have a couple of funny moments, but I wouldn't even reccomend seeing them even on DVD, or for free. From the character of J.P. to the film just not being funny, there isn't a reason to see this film at all.

I barely give them out, but this one deserves a............

[font=arial]F[/font]

This is not a good way to kick off 2006.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
htm

I like everyone involved with the film. I like Allen Cover, Doris Roberts, Shirley Jones, and Adam Sandler. I even like Rob Schneider and David Spade who make cameos. But this film is an absolute piece of shit. The film does have a couple of funny moments, but I wouldn't even reccomend seeing them even on DVD, or for free. From the character of J.P. to the film just not being funny, there isn't a reason to see this film at all.

[font=arial]F[/font]

It's January, whatta ya expect? I could have told you it was lousy looking at that hideous one sheet. :happy:

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:30 pm
Where will you be?

I actually really like the poster, I think it's the very best that they could have made out of this film.

Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:49 pm
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I saw it for free and I am glad otherwise i woul seen something else. It was very stupid but in a somewat good way.I think the best thing was by far the granmothers drinking weed dont ask u have to see to understand.Either way I give it a C

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 pm
Teenage Dream

jmart I think you should have seen Hostel instead.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:40 am
Superman: The Movie

jmart007 wrote:

[font=arial]F[/font]

It's January, whatta ya expect? I could have told you it was lousy looking at that hideous one sheet. :happy:

I was expecting a guilty pleasure film. It didn't look good, that I know, but I like everyone involved, so I was expecting a little bit more.

Spider-Man wrote:
jmart I think you should have seen Hostel instead.

I think I probably will, sometime during the middle of the week when it isn't busy.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:03 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Well, here's another unfairly maligned gem of low comedy - and damn it - it isn't even that low!

First off, I haven't heard much mention of the primary fact that this is a "gamer comedy" - as in video games - much of the humor demands at least a passing respect for the media and culture of gaming, as the story revolves around a group of eccentric and/or nerdy game developers.

Secondly, it is also a wild hybrid of sub-styles of comedy! In addition to being a "gamer comedy", this is also a "stoner comedy", and of course the "gross out sex comedy" based on the intergenerational promise of the title.

Why all the hate for this movie? I'll never know - it's actually very, very funny - absurd, irreverent, subversive - actually, I'm starting to understand it's unpopularity...

Without an ounce of exaggeration - this fine comedy rates:

4 out of 5.

(Of course, the other key factor with the hate for this movie is that it promotes positive feelings through laughter and an insight-filled re-examination of reality through comedy - it is nowhere near as primally savage as this week's other major release, Hostel - but then again, violence and torture are hard to beat for popularity these days... ;) )

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:04 am
New Server, Same X

A few moments where I laughed were really just pity laughs. The film is incredibly stupid, and the sad part is that it borders on being a decent comedy. But, it just doesn't work.

Grade: D+

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:33 am
College Boy Z

Thu May 11, 2006 9:18 pm
Devil's Advocate

Yeah, terrible. I guess the movie had good intentions to be a not terrible pass of time, but it just failed in many many ways. I actually like Allen Cover, but as a supporting role in all of Sandler's movies, not as a lead. When he trys to "act" here, it's among the worst comedic-wise that I've seen in a long time. Pretty much everyone else sucks too, except maybe The Benchwarmers sunlight-fearing guy(probably should've been lead) and the Rob Schnieder and David Spade cameos. The storyline is obviously awful, it's just an incoherent mess. Characters, again obviously awful, the love-interest was the most pathetic attempt almost possible.

But the biggest problem has got to be the dialogue. I never want to hear the word "cum" or "came" in a movie again, EVER. Everytime they said that, I cringed uncontrollably. Basically all their cursing, the sex-talk, it was so forced, like they thought being way over the top raunchy would give them cred.

Sat May 13, 2006 2:09 am
Team Kris

WHY?!??? WHY DID Doris Roberts, Shirley Jones, and Shirley Knight agree to do this film?

Though I must admit, I laughed really hard when the Shirley Knight character (Bea) started eating paint off a brush, and Shirley Jones talking dirty.

C-

Mon May 29, 2006 4:59 am
Undisputed WoKJ DVD King

Apparently I'm alone on this one... I liked Grandma's Boy. I enjoyed the video game humor and the monkey. Every movie should have an Xbox and a monkey in it. It was a little forgetable, and it was hardly high brow comedy, but I laughed a lot and I can't ask for much more than that.

My grade: B

Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:54 pm
Forum General

Wow, I can't for the life of me understand all the hate towards this film! It wasn't a great comedy classic, but damn it was funny, and this is coming from someone who didn't even want to see it. I was never bored, and I laughed a lot. Recommended!

B

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW
On autopilot for the summer

This is a very definition of a stupid comedy, except for the most time its hit and miss.

I give it a C there are better comedies like Waiting that are much better.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:52 pm
Forum General

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water