Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

College Boy T

Post 2046

Quote:
2046 is a 2004 Hong Kong film (filmed in Shanghai) written and directed by Wong Kar-wai. It is a loose sequel to the 1991 Hong Kong film Days of Being Wild and the 2000 Hong Kong film In the Mood for Love. It follows the aftermath of Chow Mo-wan's unconsummated affair with Su Li-Zhen in 1960s Hong Kong but also includes some science fiction elements.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:57 pm
Extraordinary

A very well made film but a disapointment. I'd consider In The Mood For Love one of my favorite films but this continuation of Leung's character didn't work for me. The cast is great though, I was surprised with Zhang Ziyi's performance.

- C+

Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:42 am
La Bella Vito

Incredibly boring. I love foreign films, but this movie was just horrible. The only good thing about it was the performances. I got tired of watching a woman smoke throughout half of the movie, it got very irritating.

D-

Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:13 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

I'm sure this movie will never reach a theatre near me, so I decided to download it and watched it last night. I was pretty impressed. It takes a little while to get into, to get a grasp on the setting and the directorial style (very opulent, very slowburn-ish) and the movie starts to drag near the end with the Su Lizhen plot thread, but otherwise it's quite good. I loved the concept revolving around this man and the different ladies that appear and disappear in and out of his life, while he projects all of them into his writing. What took my fancy the most was his relationship with Bai Ling (the goddess Zhang Ziyi looking as amazing as ever). Chow is a real playboy and is seemingly in it for the great sex, while she has actually fallen in love with him. The fact of the matter is is that Chow has been somewhat damaged from past relationships and it affects the way he treats the women, not wanting to get too close and give his heart away again. Kind of heartbreaking for the both of them really. Special mention goes to the amazing musical score, though it might be a tad overused.

A-

Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Galia/2046.php

Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:29 pm
Kypade

it's no In the Mood for Love, but damn if it doesn't try, yknow?

that's a good thing, btw.

I thought WKW did a fantastic job of taking most of what made ItMFL so good and working it into this more fractured/harsh/cynical story...or rather, characters, I guess. All the passion and love and intensity is still there, but these are different characters in different times...so it plays out much different...

But I think it's nearly as good.

PS, Zhang Ziyi is the most gorgeous female alive, I think, and probably one of the best actresses. (having seen Memoirs and the Road Home recently, and now this film, i'm pretty confident that's an accurate statement. feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

And yeah, of course, fantastic visuals, acting, score, etc.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:34 am
Team Kris

It will be a crime against humanity if this movie does not do well with the technical nominations come Oscar time. I think this has the potential to surprise (even a directing nomination!!!) a la City of God.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:01 am
Kypade

I agree...it is definitely deserving. omg, the "2046" scenes, with the train and stuff, where so amazing.

Unfortunately, I just don;t see it happening...was City of God even so...yknow, out there? I think 2046 getting anything (at all?) would be a far bigger surprise...but then, of course, i didnt know what the Oscars were in 2003. Ok, that;s a lie, but i surely didnt follow them (other than watching the ceremonies.)

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:16 am
Team Kris

does that mean you liked it?

I agree...it is definitely deserving. omg, the "2046" scenes, with the train and stuff, where so amazing.

Unfortunately, I just don;t see it happening...was City of God even so...yknow, out there? I think 2046 getting anything (at all?) would be a far bigger surprise...but then, of course, i didnt know what the Oscars were in 2003. Ok, that;s a lie, but i surely didnt follow them (other than watching the ceremonies.)

I liked it very much.

It could easily get shut out, yeah. But some critics are mentioning it in their technical categories, so that's positive (it probably won't matter much other than added exposure). I do hope it gets Cinematography - not only it looks amazing and you can crop a clip and frame it on your wall, but most well-received Chinese movies get this nod: Shanghai Triad, Farewell My Concubine, House of Flying Daggers, etc.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:40 am
Indiana Jones IV

Thank God for piracy! lol jk

It will be a crime against humanity if this movie does not do well with the technical nominations come Oscar time. I think this has the potential to surprise (even a directing nomination!!!) a la City of God.

I hope so. It would be such a pleasant surprise to see it nominated for something on the 31st......just what the doctor ordered to spice up what looks to be a dreadfully boring oscar year.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I finally got around to watch the film in full. Wow, I was stunned. Wong Kai-Wai's style is like drug; once you get into it, it's so addictive. What a mesmerizing movie! Not as haunting as In the Mood for Love, but the story is more complex, and I love how everything was connected, how we kept going back and forth between the reality and novel world, between drama and sci-fi, between the past and future.

Not much to add about the amazing production design and cinematography. Have to mention the score specifically. It's a score that I just closed my eyes and let it play over and over again.

Everything is just hypnotic.

A-

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Hypnotically empty film. Yeah, it was visually stunnning and exceptionally well made, but the story was just too repetitive and ... drawn out. A good 20 minutes could have been cut from the film without hurting the overall intergrity.

Pretty to look at, but sadly not much else. B-

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:38 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Elegiac.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:42 pm
Extraordinary

A very well made film but a disapointment. I'd consider In The Mood For Love one of my favorite films but this continuation of Leung's character didn't work for me. The cast is great though, I was surprised with Zhang Ziyi's performance.

- C+

Hm.

Well, I rewatched it a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it much, much more.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]