Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 48 ]
B 28%  28%  [ 24 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 85

College Boy Z

Post Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a 2005 fantasy film directed by Mike Newell, written by Steve Kloves and based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. It is the fourth instalment in the Harry Potter film series, and is produced by David Heyman. The story follows Harry Potter, a teen wizard in his fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as he is chosen by the Goblet of Fire to compete in the Triwizard Tournament, a highly dangerous competition. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The supporting cast also features Michael Gambon, Brendan Gleeson, Robert Pattinson, Miranda Richardson, David Tennant, and Ralph Fiennes as Lord Voldemort, the main antagonist of the series.

Filming began in early 2004 and the scenes of Hogwarts took place at the Leavesden Film Studios. Five days after its release, the film had grossed over US$102 million at the North American box office, the second highest first-weekend tally for a Harry Potter film behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1, and enjoyed an immensely successful run at the box office, earning over $895 million worldwide, making it the highest grossing film of 2005 and the 8th-highest grossing film of all time. It was the third highest grossing film in the U.S. for 2005 making $290 million. As of January 2011 it is the unadjusted 17th highest-grossing film of all time. As of January 2011 it is currently the fifth-highest grossing Harry Potter film, behind Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Art Direction, but lost to Memoirs of a Geisha. However, the film won the British Academy Film Award for Best Production Design, making it the only Harry Potter film to win at the BAFTAs. It was also the first film in the series to receive a PG-13 rating by the MPAA and a 12A by the BBFC for sequences of fantasy violence and frightening images. Goblet of Fire was the second Potter film to be released in IMAX. The film is one of the best reviewed instalments within the series, and is noted for the maturity and sophistication of its characters, darker and more complex plotline, writing, and performances of the lead actors.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:23 pm
You must have big rats

As an adaptation of the source material - C

Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Bad reviews are starting to pour in at RottenTomatoes - they're up to 17% so far - I imagine that stat will rise much more by week's end...

Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 am
Extraordinary

I rated it an 'A' on the expectation it'll improve the second time I see it. Right now it's a 'B+'.

Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:20 pm
Commander and Chef

http://www.worldofkj.com/reviews/Arsala ... terGoF.php

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Best one of the lot, that means something. I have a theory that these serials, or any film trend, people just tend to lose stars in the eyes they had during the kick-off. They get more expectant or critical, etc. So I expect the rt scores to never be as high as they've been in the past, just like I think biogra[hies (author, artist, inventors, etc) are slowly getting harsher criticism.

So to hear from you that you liked it when you already had quite a critical eye for its predecessors is really a good promise. I'd almost believe it if you hadn't previously stated you preferred the first Columbus to the two following installments. :tongue:

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:05 am
scifi guru

Harry Potter has done it again. The fourth instalment of the Harry Potter series is possibly even better than the last three. This time Harry has to face one of his toughest challenges yet, the Tri-Wizard tournament, usually meant for wizards of 17, Harry, age 14 ends up competing in this dangerous and sometimes fatal competition.

When reviewing this movie it is difficult to not compare it to the book, because at the end of the day even if was adapted from the book it is a movie made for a movie audience and if every thing from the book was included it would be hours and hours longer. However I will say this; the little moments that were added do make up for the parts cut from the story. For example there are a lot of nice comedic moments included.

The direction of this movie is great! Some of the visuals are absolutely stunning, especially at the quiditch world cup and the first trial. The action is fast paced and exciting, and in some cases will leave you on the edge of your seat.

The young actors have stepped it up too. They seem to be really getting a handle on their characters now and there are some fine moments to show off their new abilities. Emma Whatson is particularly good at the yule ball scenes and Rupert Grint has his comic looks and timing down to a fine art. That is not to down play Radcliffe though, he has some really tough emotional scenes near the end and he pulls them off to great effect.

Teenage girls will be glad to note that there is a scene with half naked radcliffe in a bubble bath and older girls are presented with some eye candy too in the form of Cedric Diggory and Victor Krum, the other tri wizard champions. Saying that, the guys will be happy too. The Baubaxton school bring a carriage full of beautiful girls and of course there is Harry’s crush Cho Chang. This brings me to my next point, there is a lot of potential love interests and hormones flying around in this instalment, our favourite trio is growing up, bless ‘em.

All in all, this was my favourite out of the four films. The direction, the adaptation, the acting, the action, and not to mention scary voldemorte! Long live Potter!

I do feel like I have left a few characters out though that happened to be my favourite in this film. Firstly Neville, bless him! And the Weasley twins, keep doing what your doing lads!

my rating: B+

"It's as if you're playing left-handed. Or like everyone else is playing with a tennis racket and you have a salmon. I moan about it a lot."

-Hugh Laurie about acting with an american accent.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 am
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

A+

Best film of the year, better than Serenity, Sin City, Batman Begins, Pride and Prejudice and Sith :happy: best Potter film of the bunch, best adaption of the bunch, best acting of the bunch, its just totaly the best Potter film ever, its untopable :smile: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire rocked hard! ! ! ! I cant wait to see it again. :happy:

Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:04 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

It's a great Potter film. The story for me was the best yet (i have not read any of the books). It was great to see the kids become little young adults. The new cast was great!! I loved all the characters. I was never bored. And there were sporadic moments of greatness sprinkled throughout the movie.

But it wasn't the best direction or score. I think a director with a better flare for fantastic visuals (aka Peter Jackson) would have made this a true epic movie. Newell doesn't really bring anything new to the movie in my hunble opinion. Askaban is by far the better movie technically.

It's a B+ for me. Certainly not the worst Harry movie yet.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:30 pm
Veteran

As BKB would say, don't all of you rush at once to review the movie. :hahaha:

Only a couple from last night watched it per the review/crowd reports. I would think more than just a couple of KJ posters watched HP4 last night.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Eh. The movie was just okay to me. I still would choose the third as my favorite. Here are just some random thoughts of what I saw last night...

- I really thought some of the acting was terrible. Someone mentioned they thought Emma Watson did great -- I disagree. I thought her acting was horrible, and I cringed everytime she came on screen. She's a beautiful girl, yes, but someone needs to teach her that acting is not wiggling your eyebrows up and down evey other word. She also seemed to have a problem just speaking normally because she was screaming always, even at times when she wasn't supposed to. Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter didn't really do it for me either. He lacks skill in the facial expressions as well, and some lines that he was supposed to deliver to have impact and meaning just fell flat. And he "crying" at the end was very unconvincing as well. Physically, yes, I think he embodies everything I thought Harry Potter would look like (although I supposed I could do without the very obviously waxed eyebrows), but I think his acting could look a little better. His acting didn't really bother me though. I only thought about it after the movie, whereas Emma Watson had me thinking about her acting during the film. Rupert Grint, aka Ron, would have to be the best out of the three. He had, like someone else said, the comedic looks and timing down. He consistantly produced laughs when he was supposed to, and his facial expressions were hysterical as well. I think he'd have to be the most talented of the three. I also didn't much care for the way that they made Dumbledore this movie. I don't blame it on Gambon really.. I thought moreso that the dialog was a bit off and it didn't seem like things that Dumbledore would say. Dumbledore is supposed to be able to control the room and the students without having to raise his voice.. he's supposed to be calm and composed at all times. Gambon's Dumbledore was very jumpy and running to and fro. He just didn't remind me of the Dumbledore I know and love from the books. Which was sad, for me, because I was one of the few who loved his Dumbledore in the last movie. I felt in the last movie he did portray who Dumbledore was, and his somewhat playful nature, even if Richard Harris looked more like the Dumbledore described in the books.

- The special effects were spectacular, especially the lake scene. The dragons were pretty nicely done, too.

- This movie, while good, seemed a bit too rushed for my liking. I know they had to put over four hundred pages onto screen, but it was too much nonstop action. From the moment it started, the action started, and it never let up. Because of that, I think this movie lacked the feel that the other movies had -- that a full year was indeed passing from the moment the movie started to the time it ended. I didn't feel like this movie was depicting a full year at Hogwarts, probably because there was not much spacing between each task. Once one ended, it delved right into the next one.

Overall, though, it was an enjoyable movie. They handled it a lot better than I thought they would. A lot was cut out of the movie, but it wasn't anything too substantial or important. I only thing that was cut that I probably WOULD have enjoyed was the Rita Skeeter storyline. That was an interesting part of the book. Things like S.P.E.W. and the Weasleys being in there weren't needed, so it wasn't something that was bothersome.

I would give the movie a B/B+

Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
laneyboy

I'm speechless. This is by far the best Harry Potter movie to date, the best movie of the year and one of my favorites of all-time. It was just so fantastically done the story, the acting, the effects were all pitch perfect. I loved it with every fiber of my being. A+

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:11 pm
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

Thank you

http://www.worldofkj.com/coverage/harry ... m=&ucat=3&

Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
htm

Never, ever will I do a midnight showing. Boo.

And then go see it again that afternoon :happy:

I was happily satisfied. Stunning visuals, decent acting, and grandeur... all you need for a great popcorn epic! I give it a strong B+

Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:22 pm
Extraordinary

I give it an A, best Potter movie, IMO. The movie was dark and a great ride.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was a simply amazing movie! It was everything I expected and more, and everything about it worked perfectly. I haven't felt the same way about a film since WAR OF THE WORLDS earlier this year. With a second viewing this could easily become my favorite film of the year so far. Even though it runs over two and a half hours, it didn't feel like it and I never wanted it to end! It was that amazing. The acting was greatly improved this time around (especially Emma Watson), I loved the new characters, the action sequences were AMAZING (the maze sequence at the end was especially noteworthy, along with the dragon scene) and the special effects were some of the best of the year. I absolutely adored this film! It is easily the best of the series and one of the best fantasy films ever made.

Grade: 10/10 (A+)

I plan on seeing it again this weekend as well. Everyone should go out and see it.

Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:43 pm
Profile YIM
Romosexual!

I liked it alot. Dark,funny,exciting and beautiful. :) Best Potter yet.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:41 am
I just lost the game

This is odd. In many cases, it far surpasses the third movie, and in other cases it doesn't compare at all. The two biggets examples I can think of are the atmosphere and the theme. The atmosphere in the third movie really jumped out at me much more than anything this new movie threw at me. But the theme in the fourth movie really jumped out at me more than the very subtle theme in the third movie. The action in Goblet was intense. The chase scene with the dargon around Hogwarts was better then I thought it would ever be.

Although I'm trapped in a fanoby pickle with this one. As an adaptation itself they left out a lot of plot information that I personally thought was very benefficial to the characters and storyline to both this particular installment and the overall story arc. So if you're a huge fan of the books like I am, beware of some favorite parts of the book to be gone....much moreso than in the previous three movies. However, I am surprised at how well condensed some of the scenes are.

It is nevertheless a strong movie regardless. The pacing throughout the movie is a bit off, but especially at the beginning. I felt that there wasn't much of a proper reintroduction into the story. And I really didn't like the performance for Barty Crouch Sr. The child actors are improving yet, don't worry. The pick for Moody was dead-on. He really stole the show.

A+

Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:16 am
Devil's Advocate

Your review sounds more like a B+, not A+ would signifys basicly the perfect film.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:32 am
We had our time together

I'm a big big Harry Potter fan and I totally loved this movie. The action was awesome, the visuals breathtaking. It's amazing how much better Radcliffe and Co. are getting with each movie. And there were some really funny moments too. Fiennes was creepy and great as Voldemort. Can't wait to see more of him. A+

Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Lord of filth

I think it's the best movie of the year so far.

The cinematography and art direction was absolutely amazing.

The whole first scene with Moody and the kids in Defense Against the Dark Arts was a tight and tense scene. SO MUCH happens. It's one of the best single scenes in all of Harry Potter.

The cries of Mr. Diggory were pretty shocking and real.

The graveyard scene was pretty much how I always expected it would be.

The part where Neville is looking at the crying stained glass... extrodinary.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Wow. Where do I begin? I would have posted sooner, but I got home from the midnight showing at about 3am Friday only to find my Internet had been disconnected (we were a couple months late... oops).

Anyway... WOW. Just WOW.

I never thought this movie would become my absolute favorite thus far of the movies, seeing as how the book is my second-to-last favorite. But it exceeded all my expectations.

Yes, there were some cuts that disappointed me, but they weren't enough to change how great the film was (plus, there's always the promise of deleted scenes on the DVD).

And the stuff that was *added* MORE than made up for the cuts.

As a huge Snape fan, there were definitely cuts/changes that disappointed me.... but the scenes he *did* have in the movie were nothing short of *brilliant*!

And I admit that I cried. Even though I knew what was coming and I had even seen a couple spoiler pics.... I *still* cried at "the scene". The acting in that scene was just so emotionally moving, especially from Cedric's dad. And I loved the way Harry was so protective of the body and was just wailing with emotion..... *gets teary-eyed*

Yeah, GREAT movie.

A+

Joy

Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:14 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

What a wonderful movie. The comedic-relief parts WERE funny, unlike in most movies, such as Batman Begins. Every time Ron said "Bloody Hell" the audience laughed their asses off. And the ending was sad and I almost had to hold in my tears because of Cedrick's dads acting and all that. Easily the best Harry Potter movie, hands down. Undisputable fact.

A

Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:20 pm
Profile YIM WWW
You must have big rats

It definitely improved to me on the second viewing, simply because I already knew what parts I won't get to see, so I think I could enjoy it better. I was once again impressed by the acting overall, as well as by the great Yule Ball scene and the dragon chase.

Still disappointed by the maze and the graveyard scene.

But Gleeson is sooooo good!

B+

Should stay my final grade.

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I loved it. Waaaay better than I expected it to be. All of the tasks were done wonderfully.

A- (just might be an A if it holds up well.)

Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next