Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 29 ]
B 23%  23%  [ 10 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 43

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 
College Boy Z

Post Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Quote:
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a 2005 crime/dark comedy film, which engages many conventions of the classic film noir genre in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. It is based, in part, on the novel Bodies Are Where You Find Them by Brett Halliday. The cast includes Robert Downey, Jr., Val Kilmer, Michelle Monaghan and Corbin Bernsen. The screenplay was written by Shane Black who also directed the film. It was produced by Joel Silver, and co-produced by Downey's wife Susan Downey (who is credited as Susan Levin).

The film's title is a reference to Pauline Kael's 1968 book, which in turn was named after a translation of an Italian poster of a James Bond movie, which she called "perhaps the briefest statement imaginable of the basic appeal of the movies."

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was filmed in Los Angeles between February 24 and May 3, 2004. After debuting at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival in France on May 14, it received a limited release in cinemas in late October and early November 2005. It was the first film produced by Public Media Works, a production company founded by Corbin Bernsen.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:02 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************

RATING: FRESH READING: 81%

Reviews counted: 67
Fresh: 54 Rotten: 13
Average Rating: 7.3/10

How the Fuck did 13 critics not like this movie.

Will keep it simple. This was a GREAT movie that everyone should see. NO, EVERYONE MUST SEE THIS MOVIE. NO EXCUSES.

Some small comments.

- Val Kilmer was very good but Robert Downey Jr stole the show. As someone who has always liked him, he was GREAT in this.

The extra bonus of this movie was there were are about 10 Laugh Out Loud Scenes - I swear that I was laughing at so many scenes in this movie > Side splitting humor. Mostly Kilmer setting up Downey but Kilmer had some good ones also.

So it was basically an old fashion detective story modernized with lots of humor.

Also, the lead girl looked alot like the lead girl in Grey's Anatomy that for awhile I was wondering if it was her. She also does a little nudity, if anyone needs that to see this GREAT movie.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

Glad you liked it, Goldie. I can't wait for this, as it's very hotly anticipated by me. It's actually:

Reviews counted: 73
Fresh: 59 Rotten: 14
Average Rating: 7.2/10

81%

I've heard very similar comments about how funny it is. This is a movie that I'll be nagging people to see, I'm sure, so if your name is Libs, Zingaling, MovieDude, Dr. Lecter, andaroo, bABA, revolutions, dolcevita, Ripper, xiayun, insomniacdude, publicenemy, Libs, Archie Gates, Dkmuto, Raffiki, Flava'd?, thompsoncory, Killuminati510, Madgez, RogueCommander, BennyBlanco, BKB_The_Man, bradley witherberry, and anybody I might have forgotten, do me the favor of checking it out.

I know of about 5 members who are very hyped for it, and I think it's definitely going to be one of the surprises of the fall, but probably will tank at the BO.

Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:34 pm
Extraordinary

Yup, I laughed and laughed and laughed. It is an "exposed screenplay" - ie: the writer has laid open all his tricks and techniques for the viewer's observation, and then has his "narrator" discuss them as they unfold. The technique is a kind of Domino-lite, with wacky titles, but with the benefit of a bit more restrained editing. This deamping is compensated for by far more inventive writing. The comic acting is equally well pulled off by the three leads: Robert Downey Jr., Val Kilmer, and Michelle Monaghan. It is a very clever film, but that's not the most important part - the critical thing here is: it's funny...

5 out of 5.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 1:46 am
You must have big rats

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is really a good movie that combines murder mystery and comedy pretty well. Essentially, it's a film noir spoof and at that it succeeds. Robert Downey Jr. is good as the lead, but frankly Val Kilmer just steals his show as Gay Perry. Pretty much every single of his scenes are hilarious. As of now, I'd peg this movie as the third-funniest this year (behind The Big White and Wedding Crashers). There are just so many great one-lines, 99% of which are coming out of Kilmer's mouth who deserves an Oscar nomination for his role.

The movie has a great pace and the storyline is pretty interesting to follow. The laughs are well-placed and most of them work (unlike in many other comedies nowadays). I had two main gripes with the movie. The first one is the whole narrator situation with Harry narrating the movie and the second the over-the-top action finale. I understand it was supposed to be a spoof as well, but that didn't quite work for me.

Still, the movie is well-acted, throughout funny and engaging. One of my favorites this year.

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:54 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
B+

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is really a good movie that combines murder mystery and comedy pretty well. Essentially, it's a film noir spoof and at that it succeeds. Robert Downey Jr. is good as the lead, but frankly Val Kilmer just steals his show as Gay Perry. Pretty much every single of his scenes are hilarious. As of now, I'd peg this movie as the third-funniest this year (behind The Big White and Wedding Crashers). There are just so many great one-lines, 99% of which are coming out of Kilmer's mouth who deserves an Oscar nomination for his role.

The movie has a great pace and the storyline is pretty interesting to follow. The laughs are well-placed and most of them work (unlike in many other comedies nowadays). I had two main gripes with the movie. The first one is the whole narrator situation with Harry narrating the movie and the second the over-the-top action finale. I understand it was supposed to be a spoof as well, but that didn't quite work for me.Still, the movie is well-acted, throughout funny and engaging. One of my favorites this year.

In seeing the movie, I don't think it was a spoof at all, in any regard.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:47 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
B+

The movie has a great pace and the storyline is pretty interesting to follow. The laughs are well-placed and most of them work (unlike in many other comedies nowadays). I had two main gripes with the movie. The first one is the whole narrator situation with Harry narrating the movie and the second the over-the-top action finale. I understand it was supposed to be a spoof as well, but that didn't quite work for me.Still, the movie is well-acted, throughout funny and engaging. One of my favorites this year.

It certainly was or do you expect a small thief to just easily kill 3-4 bad guys in an elaborate action manner? C'mon.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Goldie wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
B+

It certainly was or do you expect a small thief to just easily kill 3-4 bad guys in an elaborate action manner? C'mon.

I think that spoof is too strong a word > spoof was Scary Movie.

Will have to think about it more - maybe PARODY - would be a better word to describe it.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:04 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Will have to think about it more - maybe PARODY - would be a better word to describe it.

Parody = spoof to me.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Goldie wrote:

Parody = spoof to me.

Still thinking about it, will let others decide if it was a Spoof.

I just think that saying spoof portrays this movie incorrectly so I am willing to let the people decide.

but also you said that the spoof aspect didn't work for you - so that seems confusing? Maybe that is because it wasn't a spoof.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:18 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Parody = spoof to me.

I just think that saying spoof portrays this movie incorrectly so I am willing to let the people decide.

but also you said that the spoof aspect didn't work for you - so that seems confusing? Maybe that is because it wasn't a spoof.

The film noir spoof as whole worked well for me. The whole movie was a film noir parody in itself. All of that worked, apart from the showdown.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Goldie wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
Goldie wrote:

Parody = spoof to me.

The film noir spoof as whole worked well for me. The whole movie was a film noir parody in itself. All of that worked, apart from the showdown.

Then your original statement is even more confusing - see below???

You said > I understand it was supposed to be a spoof as well, but that didn't quite work for me

???

Also thinking about a prior comment you made - it wasn't really unreasonable about him killing multiple people in a row.

They explained that he was a magician with quick hands and also as he was a career long criminal who used a gun, it would make sense that he might be very good with a gun.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

B+

The movie has a great pace and the storyline is pretty interesting to follow. The laughs are well-placed and most of them work (unlike in many other comedies nowadays). I had two main gripes with the movie. The first one is the whole narrator situation with Harry narrating the movie and the second the over-the-top action finale. I understand it was supposed to be a spoof as well, but that didn't quite work for me.

Still, the movie is well-acted, throughout funny and engaging. One of my favorites this year.

Glad that you liked it, Lecter, I have a feeling I really will, too.

A few from my list are safe from being nagged to see this:

Libs, Zingaling, MovieDude, Dr. Lecter, andaroo, bABA, revolutions, dolcevita, Ripper, xiayun, insomniacdude, publicenemy, Libs, Archie Gates, Dkmuto, Raffiki, Flava'd?, thompsoncory, Killuminati510, Madgez, RogueCommander, BennyBlanco, BKB_The_Man, bradley witherberry, and anybody I might have forgotten

Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:04 pm
Forum General

B+

Thinking about this alittle more tonight, there is no way that this is a spoof, will wait till others see it to comment. But in the meantime, you said you understand it is a spoof, I guess that means that you read that somewhere - can you please post some links cause I can't believe anyone would have written that.

It was basically a straight forward serious film noir with touchs of humor in it. Just because it was funny doesn't automatically make it s spoof.

Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:49 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Dr. Lecter wrote:
B+

Thinking about this alittle more tonight, there is no way that this is a spoof, will wait till others see it to comment. But in the meantime, you said you understand it is a spoof, I guess that means that you read that somewhere - can you please post some links cause I can't believe anyone would have written that.

It was basically a straight forward serious film noir with touchs of humor in it. Just because it was funny doesn't automatically make it s spoof.

A straight forward film noir with a GAY detective? Think about it?

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1553/5693049.html

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/09/26/065540.php

http://www.emanuellevy.com/article.php? ... icleID=229

http://www.torsun.canoe.ca/Entertainmen ... 1-sun.html

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/m ... cation=rss

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6448213/did/7848841

Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Read one and they called it a satire, have to look at them alittle more.

I guess it is a personal thing that I don't like or equate the word spoof to this.

Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Thanks, wll read more.

Read one and they called it a satire, have to look at them alittle more.

I guess it is a personal thing that I don't like or equate the word spoof to this.

I agree - "spoof" is not the correct word...

Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:03 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

A (9/10)

The characters and writing are too heavy for a spoof. But it is a parody.

One of the most intelligent films of 2005. Fresh, original and just plain entertaining. A must see for all cinema goers.

(extended review will be up shortly)

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:00 pm
The Original

7/10. I was a bit tired.So perhaps I didnt get all stuff in the movie. So this can also be a 8/10. Its not a classic masterpiece but very entertaining and I had a good time. So thumbs up from me.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:18 pm
Forum General

Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang

A (9/10)

The characters and writing are too heavy for a spoof. But it is a parody.

One of the most intelligent films of 2005. Fresh, original and just plain entertaining. A must see for all cinema goers

(extended review will be up shortly)

Yes, I agree and it is a must see.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

This darn movie better be released wide enough next weekend. This article says audiences want movies like this, but the box office only proves that they'll flock to see shit before they'll go see something worthwhile if the marketing department tells them to...

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea ... 24,00.html

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:47 pm

When I saw it tonight it was 90% full (120 seater), and Warner Bros have done barely any advertising except announce the DVD release date. Also this weekend, were advance screenings.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:53 pm
You must have big rats

When I saw it tonight it was 90% full (120 seater), and Warner Bros have done barely any advertising except announce the DVD release date. Also this weekend, were advance screenings.

They already announced the DVD release? Heh.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

VHI had ads for it like every 5 minutes 2 weeks ago. That was the only time and only channel that I've seen anything about the movie on.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:57 pm

getluv wrote:

They already announced the DVD release? Heh.

March 2.

Corpse Bride DVD release date has also been announced an its a fortnight away from opening.

It's looking to get some good WOM. Everybody loved it in my cinema.

Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 117 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next