Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

College Boy Z

Post Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Quote:
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a 1969 American Western film directed by George Roy Hill and written by William Goldman (who won the Academy Award for Best Writing for the film). Based loosely on fact, the film tells the story of Wild West outlaws Robert LeRoy Parker, known to history as Butch Cassidy (played by Paul Newman) and his partner Harry Longabaugh, the "Sundance Kid" (played by Robert Redford). In 2003, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:46 pm
Award Winning Bastard

One of the greatest films ever made, and in my top 20 of all time. It's very well written, and quite humorous, showing why Newman and Redford had such great chemistry together. I believe that this is one of those films that needs to be seen before you can call yourself a true movie fan.

A+

Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:48 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Wonderful, timeless adventure/comedy. But The Sting is still superior.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:37 pm
Star Trek XI

Fun movie to watch. I really enjoyed it. My only problem is the lack of a musical score. There were several scenes I felt could have benefited from background music. Sometimes it was just too quiet.

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:00 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Overrated, but still very good. The musical score bugged me. I did enjoy the Redford/Newman duo, but I liked them much better in The Sting.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:04 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

It was sort of the Gladiator of it's day, straddling the roles of blockbuster and well-made award winning movie. A little over-rated in its time and a little too forgotten now by mass audiences.

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:41 pm
Profile WWW
Speed Racer

[align=center]BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

[last lines]
Butch Cassidy: Wait a minute - you didn't see Lefors out there did you?
Sundance Kid: Lefors? No, why?
Butch Cassidy: Thank God for that. For a moment there I thought we were in trouble.

Image[/align]

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are legends, as sure as any from their time period, but they wouldn’t be what they are now if it wasn’t for the 1969 movie of the same name about them. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is one of the few westerns I have ever had a smile on through the entire running time, a film that balances perfectly the idea that it is a buddy movie at heart, so it stays fun, and that it is a western as well, so it’s not all fun and games.

This was Paul Newman and Robert Redford’s first of two major collaborations (they went on to make The Sting in 1973, which took home the Oscar for Best Picture as well as being the second-highest grossing film of the year), but their chemistry is that of old friends, friends who have a lot of fun but have their lives in each others hands at the same time. They are having the time of their lives robbing banks in both the Western United States and Bolivia, and we have fun watching them do it.

I appreciated this film on two different levels, essentially. On the first, I loved the film for how damn entertaining it is. Butch and Sundance are the archetype heroes; strong, good-looking men who get the girls, the guns, and the cash. They may be the bad guys, but we cheer for them. Second, the film is a masterpiece in terms of its writing. In all the history of westerns, how many times before the release of Butch did the heroes run away? In its simplest form this is what the film is about; Butch and Sundance evading the bounty hunters sent for them after they rub a businessman the wrong way by robbing from his train. “Who are these guys?” Butch and Sundance keep asking, as the trackers monitor their movement across seemingly every state in the west.

We may never again have a movie like this. It is a western (which in itself is a dying breed of film) that is completely original, features two great performances by two great actors in their most entertaining form, and is more intent on pleasing and entertaining its audience then giving some sort of social commentary or deep meaning. While we may never see another Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, I wouldn’t mind seeing one.

[align=center]A[/align]

Firewall B
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut C
Waking Life A+

Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

Post Re: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
One of my favorite westerns ever. It's not only fairly funny but just very entertaining from start to finish with Newman/Redford being a great combo. Also, Katharine Ross was fuckin hot in the 60's.

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
It is a very good movie, without a doubt. I prefer The Sting, though, for my main Newman/Redford fix.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]