Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Dukes of Hazzard 

What grade would you give this film?
A 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
B 65%  65%  [ 11 ]
C 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 17

The Dukes of Hazzard 
Sbil

Post The Dukes of Hazzard
The Dukes of Hazzard

Quote:
The Dukes of Hazzard is a 2005 comedy film based on the American television series of the same name. The film was directed by Jay Chandrasekhar and released on August 5, 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures. As in the television series, The Dukes of Hazzard depicts the adventures of cousins Bo, Luke, Daisy and their Uncle Jesse as they outfox crooked Hazzard County commissioner Boss Hogg and Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane. The film was followed by a direct-to-video prequel titled The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning in 2007.

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:23 pm
Mod Team Leader

Pretty much the worst film I have seen so far this summer. It wasn't very funny, it wasn't very exciting, it wasn't anywhere close to the TV show and there really wasn't anyone likable in the film. Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg was attrocious and even Simpson was just a piece of eye candy that had lost it's sweetness. Knoxville was the bright spot of the film but Scott was dreadful as Bo Luke as he might as well been the hillybilly version of Stifler. And what is up with Roscoe being a tough guy?

Not even worth a rental.

6/10

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
---------

So Roscoe lost all of his spirit from the original show??! :cry: He was such a funny character, along with Boss Hogg. The new Duke boys seem to be more of troublemakers, instead of the good-spirited boys from the old show that never meant no harm.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

A fun and enjoyable summer film with likable leads and a fast pace! A full review is coming soon, but this is one of the summer's biggest guilty pleasures!

8/10 (B+)

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:09 pm
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

I wasn't planning on seeing it, but the weekend hasn't bourne any other exciting fruits, so now I'm considering it.

Baumer, I found your review interesting because you listed nothing but cons, and seemed, frankly, kinda angry. Yet, you gave it a 6? You had thoroughly pissed on it. So my question is, what did you like about it?

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:26 pm
Mod Team Leader

I wasn't planning on seeing it, but the weekend hasn't bourne any other exciting fruits, so now I'm considering it.

Baumer, I found your review interesting because you listed nothing but cons, and seemed, frankly, kinda angry. Yet, you gave it a 6? You had thoroughly pissed on it. So my question is, what did you like about it?

I wasn't really angry with it so much, just disappointed. A 6/10 is a C and that is quite bad. What I did enjoy was Knoxville. He made the film enjoyable in some parts. His persona, while not really like Luke's all that much, is much more of a better impersonation of what Luke could be like. So, it wasn't a total waste, just mostly a waste.

Last edited by baumer72 on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Owner

I think this is one of those disgrace to the title, but you might like it if you have no vested interest in the TV series, type movies.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Bo (Seann William Scott) and Luke Duke (Johnny Knoxville) are two of the most notorious cousins in Hazzard County, Georgia. Caring more about the people of the town than the law, they do whatever they please and don't care about the amount of trouble they get in. Spending their days delivering moonshine for their Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson), they are happy and carefree with their existence. But when they discover that county commissioner Boss Hogg (Burt Reynolds) is planning to turn Hazzard into a coal mine, they must enlist the help of their sexy cousin Daisy (Jessica Simpson) in a plot to overthrow the corrupt law enforcement system once and for all.

THE DUKES OF HAZZARD is yet another big-screen adaptation of a television classic. Becoming one of the landmarks of '70s culture, the show recieved huge ratings and still has a sizable fanbase. This adaptation tries its best to appeal to the old audience while also gaining young new viewers as well. This is evident in the casting of comedians Johnny Knoxville and Seann William Scott as Bo and Luke as well as teen heartthrob Jessica Simpson in the role of Daisy. While the former two are veterans, Simpson makes her much-talked about acting debut in this film after years of embracing music and television with her reality show "Newlyweds." In an effort to appeal to old-timers as well, Burt Reynolds, Lynda Carter (none other than TV's "Wonder Woman") and Willie Nelson are both cast in supporting roles.

The film is nothing more than a loud and fast-paced summer comedy, but it does what it attempts to do, which is entertain. It isn't a genius film by any means, but it manages to keep the audience entertained and interested the entire way through. In a film built on one-liners and car chases, it pulls everything off surprisingly well. Director Jay Chandrasekhar does a solid job here and the chase sequences are some of the film's highlights.

The cast is pretty solid. Johnny Knoxville is the best as Luke, delivering a scene-stealing comedic performance with a lot of wit and charm. Seann William Scott also does a good job as Bo and has several funny moments. His performance does come as a minor disappointment, however, since his last comedic character (Stifler from the AMERICAN PIE films) has become so recognized. Jessica Simpson is cute and sexy as Daisy and does a good job with what she has to work with. She is an extremely likable actress who I expect to see much more of on the big screen. Burt Reynolds is much better here than in THE LONGEST YARD and Willie Nelson is good as well.

The weak links come in terms of the rest of the cast. David Koechner is horrible as a mechanic, Kevin Heffernan gives a groan-inducing performance and Lynda Carter is underused. Unfortunately, Nikki Griffin has continued to find work aside from her horrible guest apperances on "The OC" and delivers a groan-inducing performance as usual.

Overall, though, THE DUKES OF HAZZARD is a fun ride and definitely one of the summer's most enjoyable films. Check your brain at the door and prepare yourself for a fun time at the movies.

8/10 (B+)

Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:40 pm
Profile YIM
College Boy Z

I think this is one of those disgrace to the title, but you might like it if you have no vested interest in the TV series, type movies.

I hope so, because I've never seen the show.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:01 pm
Superman: The Movie

I've never seen the show, nor do I plan on seeing it anytime in the future. Whether or not I would've felt differently about the movie after seeing the show, I don't know, but I must say that I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I would.

Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott aren't the next Abbot and Costello, but they have a nice chemistry and are fun to watch. Jessica Simpson has basically a throwaway role here, but she is actually kind of good.

There were also two small things that I also liked about the movie. The first one is, I liked how director Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers, Club Dread) included every single member of his troop Broken Lizard. I also liked how he referenced Super Troopers during a scene where the guys are on a college campus, and includes himself (And a member of Broken Lizard, whose name I forget right now) as college traffic cops.

Yes the movie is light on the plot, and yes the movie has a lot of car chases (That are actually choreographed pretty nicely), but it's just dumb fun.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:45 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Glad to hear Johnny Knoxville is the bright spot in a movie, considering where he started (Jackass).

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:01 pm
Romosexual!

B :) just a fun/sometime hilliarous movie.
enjoyed everytime the general was hauling ass. :good:

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:35 pm
---------

So is anyone here a big fan of the show like me? I'm debating on whether to go see it or not or even see it at all on DVD.... I think I'm going to be disappointed by all the changes they made, but I don't know. Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg was a terrible casting choice for example. Boss Hogg has to be fat and be easily angered! Burt Reynolds plays everything too calmly. And I hope Roscoe has the same personality. Those sounds he made on the original show always made me laugh out loud.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:07 pm
Veteran

I saw the TV show a few times but I don't remember to much about it. I really enjoyed the film though I liked the fastness of it. I love the race sceens and how BO loved his car so much. It was really well shot the race and chases are great the only sad part I thought was that they never honked the horn in midd air :sad:

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:23 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Romosexual!

So is anyone here a big fan of the show like me? I'm debating on whether to go see it or not or even see it at all on DVD.... I think I'm going to be disappointed by all the changes they made, but I don't know. Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg was a terrible casting choice for example. Boss Hogg has to be fat and be easily angered! Burt Reynolds plays everything too calmly. And I hope Roscoe has the same personality. Those sounds he made on the original show always made me laugh out loud.

back in the day i used to watch the show every chance i get.
i wished they had gotten actors that looked and acted alot like Boss Hogg and Rosco. V_V
Didn't care for Burt and M.C. Gainey versions.

other then those two i had no issues with how the other characters were portrayed.
Jessica as Diasy Dukes was alright ;) from the neck down.

Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:31 pm
Cream of the Crop

Now *this* was a movie worth my time and money! What a ride! It was hilarious, action-packed, and just all-out entertaining!!! Two thumbs up from me and a B+.

Joy

Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:35 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

JESSICA SIMPSON IS THE *HOTTEST* WOMAN ON THE PLANET!!

A+!!

Oh, and the movie? It was good, but not as funny as I had hoped. B-

Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:57 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

The movie was too uneven to be considered "good". Having not seen the TV show I can't compare, but even without that back knowledge it still isn't that great of a film. Knoxville and Scott are both rather bland in their roles and while Simpson isn't as bad as one would expect, she is hardly good.

Having lived in Atlanta, Georgia for 15 years, I can say that 99.99% of the stereotypes and situations presented are very much true. Sad, but true.

Overall though, a dissapointment, and really not worth seeing in theaters. C+

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:21 am
laneyboy

Ok movie, nothing too spectacular (or very funny). An entertaining time waster. B-

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Boring and stupid. I can't believe I'm going to say it but Jessica Simpson was the best thing about the movie.

5/10 (C-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:16 am
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

In all of the fast-paced, action-packed scenes, the film is incredible, and it really made me excited and actually want to see the outcome (even if it was obvious). However, everything else (with the exception of the hilarious Knoxville, and any scene with Jessica Simpson in a bikini, Jessica Simpson's cleavage in very plain sight, or ... well, Jessica Simpson, excluding her passable at best "acting") drags pretty bad. It's a fun movie, I'll give it that, but not incredible fun. Most of the last twenty or so minutes are great and exciting, but the rest of the film feels like it tries way too hard to cater to teens or young adults seeing the film.

I did enjoy the Broken Lizard guys in the film. I believe (might be off) that the scene with the Campus Police was a reference to Super Troopers, complete with the same guys (I also believe Broken Lizard co-wrote the film, explaining their roles in the film). Can anyone back me up on this? Oh, and for anyone a little iffy on Broken Lizard, they made the two films "Super Troopers" and "Club Dread".

Anyway, fun at times, bleh at other times. Grade: C+

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:58 pm
New Server, Same X

There were also two small things that I also liked about the movie. The first one is, I liked how director Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers, Club Dread) included every single member of his troop Broken Lizard. I also liked how he referenced Super Troopers during a scene where the guys are on a college campus, and includes himself (And a member of Broken Lizard, whose name I forget right now) as college traffic cops.

Yes! Okay good, I was right. I know now that Jay Chandrasekhar directed the film, but I thought that Broken Lizard (all five guys) co-wrote the film as well, but that was according to IMDB about two months ago. I should go check again.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:00 pm
Where will you be?

The Dukes of Hazzard was hillarious, some great gags, good back and forth between the leads, and some very cool chase scenes. Even if Jessica Simpson was absolutely TERRIBLE, the movie was a riot. I thought it was much funnier then Wedding Crashers. Actually, I'd say it's the funniest movie of the year and the second best comedy (only after Kung-Fu Hustle). A-

Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:45 pm
Teenage Dream

I enjoyed this TV Show Adaptation and Jessica Simpson was great to look at.

Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

Nothing special. Best parts were Simpson and the Super Troopers gag/guys from that movie, the actor who played Farva was actually in this movie quite a bit as Sheev.

Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next