Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Honeymooners 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 3

The Honeymooners 
College Boy Z

Post The Honeymooners
The Honeymooners

Quote:
The Honeymooners is a 2005 family comedy film directed by John Schultz, which, unlike the original television series, stars an African American cast featuring Cedric the Entertainer, Gabrielle Union, Mike Epps, and Regina Hall. It is based on the TV series of the same name (at the time of the film's release, Paramount Pictures, the film's distributor, was a sister company to CBS, which owns the rights to the series). The film was panned by critics (though Roger Ebert was one of the few to give it a positive review).

Last edited by zingy on Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:07 pm
Forum General

Looks pretty dumb. I'll rent it, probably. If I do see it in theaters, it will because I already saw everything that's playing and I'm bored. I don't see myself seeing it in theaters because I still need to see MADAGASCAR, LONGEST YARD, MR. AND MRS. SMITH and SHARK BOY AND LAVA GIRL IN 3-D.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:55 am
Profile YIM WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It's much too difficult to keep up with all these reviews.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:01 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

There's only a couple things that can make a man chuckle in this abomination. One - the first five minutes. Cedric can sorta dance to some 70s music. Two - Oprah. Gabrielle Union apparently has a fat momma who looks just like Ms. Winfrey. She ate all six of her kids. Three - the audience. The audience gave me more laughs than the 90-ish minutes on the screen. For some, a Coke is the perfect sanctuary. One white guy (who laughed about ten times overall) delt with the movie by slurping his Coke. When no Coke (or ice) was left, he still slurped. The noise, I gather, brought more excitement to him than Mike Epps' dry performance. The movie is a series of bits that have no connection to each other. Each tries to serve up some laughs with facial expressions, stereotypes, and bad, bad one-liners (and, no. Being black doesn’t help you here). If you can take movies without a plot (oh, and a flawed screenplay that makes Cedric's intelligence waver like a zombie), this baby's for you. Otherwise, the only plus is seeing the audience try to sit through it, a few funny bits, and the shexy Gabrielle Union. F+

Read More Here: http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9770

Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:11 am
Extraordinary

The Honeymooners (WOKJ Review) By: Zingaling

"Is this the best you can do, Hollywood? The best thing you could come with is an unwanted remake of a 1950s sitcom? If this is a sign of things to come, books might be the only thing we have left. For the record, I've never seen the original sitcom. And, from what I've heard, the sitcom was never anything to brag about."

Yow! Zingaling!?! I haven't seen this remake yet, but in reading your official WOKJ review, I am shocked at your second hand dismissal of one of the cornerstones of classic sitcom history. The pairing of comic legend Jackie Gleason and Academy Award winner Art Carney is one of the all time funniest comedy teams of the 20th century.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I highly urge you to either do your own research, or get a better source of information from which to get your opinions. This does not match the quality of your usually well written material on this site!

:down:

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:24 am
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Quote:

"Is this the best you can do, Hollywood? The best thing you could come with is an unwanted remake of a 1950’s sitcom? If this is a sign of things to come, books might be the only thing we have left. For the record, I’ve never seen the original sitcom. And, from what I’ve heard, the sitcom was never anything to brag about."

Yow! Zingaling!?! I haven't seen this remake yet, but in reading your official WOKJ review, I am shocked at your second hand dismissal of one of the cornerstones of classic sitcom history. The pairing of comic legend Jackie Gleason and Academy Award winner Art Carney is one of the all time funniest comedy teams of the 20th century.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I highly urge you to either do your own research, or get a better source of information from which to get your opinions. This does not match the quality of your usually well written material on this site!

Good catch

Unlike today, where you need about 100 episodes.

The Honeymooners, with only about 30 episodes to be revolved, have been playing on tv for over 50 years.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:46 am
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Quote:

"Is this the best you can do, Hollywood? The best thing you could come with is an unwanted remake of a 1950s sitcom? If this is a sign of things to come, books might be the only thing we have left. For the record, I've never seen the original sitcom. And, from what I've heard, the sitcom was never anything to brag about."

I did ask people before writing that, and most agreed with that statement.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:11 pm
Extraordinary

bradley witherberry wrote:

...like I said above, get a better source of information...

(I'll bet if I run a poll in the TV section - the results would show most KJ members (who have seen the show) would vote it as an all-time comedy classic! Wanna make a lttle wager??)

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:58 pm
Extraordinary

(I'll bet if I run a poll in the TV section - the results would show most KJ members (who have seen the show) would vote it as an all-time comedy classic! Wanna make a lttle wager??)

I went ahead and created the poll in the TV forum - I invite anyone who has an opinion to pop over and vote!

(PS: Still haven't heard back from Zing regarding an appropriate wager - family honor, perhaps?)

Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:19 pm
College Boy Z

Um, I don't wish to make any wagers, nor do I care THAT much about whether some people liked a television show or not.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:25 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
bradley witherberry wrote:
Quote:

"Is this the best you can do, Hollywood? The best thing you could come with is an unwanted remake of a 1950’s sitcom? If this is a sign of things to come, books might be the only thing we have left. For the record, I’ve never seen the original sitcom. And, from what I’ve heard, the sitcom was never anything to brag about."

How many people did you ask, what ages etc.?

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

The show was one of the greatest ever. Tsk, tsk Zing.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:29 pm
Extraordinary

Um, I don't wish to make any wagers, nor do I care THAT much about whether some people liked a television show or not.

C'mon, don't get all defensive Zingaling - please note I was complimenting your writing on this site, with just this one point standing out like a sore thumb...

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:33 pm
Extraordinary

Well the vote in the TV forum is currently tied at:

"never anything to brag about" 50% ( 4 )
"an all-time comedy classic" 50% ( 4 )

...and was a lot closer than I would have ever imagined - I admit I was wrong about people's attitudes about this - so I apologize to Zingaling and stand corrected.

:???:

(I'm just glad I didn't ask whether other early movie comedians like Charlie Chaplin or Buster Keaton made "all-time classic comedies" or had any influence on the subsequent history of comedy in film...)

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:26 am
Extraordinary

Hey - didn't anyone notice how I modeled mature forum debating technique in the post above? I admitted I was wrong and apologized to Zingaling depite his peevish responses to my constructive criticism.

(Of course, by commenting on it now, I have nullified my moral high ground, and shown my inner immature internet persona...)

:umn:

Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:20 am
You must have big rats

Hey - didn't anyone notice how I modeled mature forum debating technique in the post above? I admitted I was wrong and apologized to Zingaling depite his peevish responses to my constructive criticism.

(Of course, by commenting on it now, I have nullified my moral high ground, and shown my inner immature internet persona...)

:umn:

Hehe, that's one of the best posts I have read on here recently.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Hehe, that's one of the best posts I have read on here recently.

Gee, thanx Doc - coming from you thet really does mean alot!

(qv: above - re: further debasement)

Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:10 am
Devil's Advocate

It wasn't that bad. I didn't like the whole dog-racing plotline, but when it wasn't focusing on that it had some funny moments. I don't see what was so bad about what Omar Epps did either, its not like he set out to do some real acting anyways. Hes just just being a comedian.

P.S. The Honeymooners tv show is good Zing. Usually I don't like old material like that, but it actually holds up really nicely. I actually laughed in it, more than I do while watching The War at Home or other things on the air nowadays.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]